RehabCare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
RehabCare President, CEO, and Director John H. Short
John H. Short

Pros
  • Flexible schedule but none other (in 20 reviews)

• Great co-workers who believe in what they do and work hard to keep their skills up to date including the latest technology/therapy techniques (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Productivity is the driver above patient care (keep patients at highest levels at all times) (in 25 reviews)

• Recently paid 125 million in fines but still a lot of pressure from upper management to always be billing patients (in 23 reviews)

"CHECK IF YOUR HOURS ARE GUARANTEED"

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in Worcester, MA

Pros

Rehab Care offers a Competitive salary. RehabCare offers a very flexible Schedule. RehabCare offers an opportunity to be creative and start new programs. RehabCare local staff are friendly.
    Flexible schedule

Cons

THis Job was advertised as "full time" @ 32 hours. To qualify for full time benefits, you only need to work 32 hours every 13 weeks. I wanted to work 3 to 4 days a week but instead the position required me to be there 5 days a week, often getting sent home after three or four hours due to low census. Had I stayed on, I would not have qualified for full-time benefit status.

Advice to Management

Advertise the position as perdiem or scheduled per diem.

"Good People, Questionable Management"

Current Employee - Resource Management in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Resource Management in Houston, TX

Pros

As with most any place, there are great people working for Triumph. The pay and benefits are on comperable with the industry.

Cons

Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of integrity in certain management positions. Perhaps the recent company changes (merging with Triumph Healthcare), and has pulled their attention and focus away from what is most important to any organization...their employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees feedback. Focus on high turnover rate in certain departments.

"Not a company I am proud to work for."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Well compensated, but it comes at a cost.

Cons

Patients are not their number one concern. Don't know how they get away with some of the things they do. They seem to forget that their employees are what can make or break a company. Quick to let you know what you did wrong, but no comments for extra efforts. They seem to forget that their employees have families and lives outside of working for Rehabcare and are actually human beings.

Advice to Management

Don't treat employees like they are children, talking down and AT them instead of TO them. Even management can learn some things from a lowly employee if they would learn to listen.

"Beware of Rehabcare"

Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Occupational Therapist in New York, NY

Pros

Fair compensation and benefits. Large company with many facilities across the country, so moving/transferring is possible. Computerized documentation. Direct deposit and iPay pay statement service. Possibility for advancement is good. Corporate discount program, including for some cell phone service providers. Paychecks are on time and correct. Professional Development fund for continuing education, license fees, etc.

Cons

Disregard for Work/Life balance:
    -there's not enough time to get everything done, partly because of the productivity expectations, partly because of the point-of-service program and partly because of the inefficiency of the computerized documentation, so some staff ends up doing paperwork off the clock but then we are told that that's not allowed, so we end up sneaking around to work off the clock to avoid having our productivity drop (to avoid being reprimanded about it the very next day) and some staff deal with it by walking ethical tightropes which is disheartening and stressful to work around
    -difficult if not impossible to use paid-time off: when approved, it is not approved in a timely manner, so it's difficult to plan vacations or even doctor appointments; also, a lot of follow-up is required to find out if it's approved or not (poor communication); a certain amount of guilt is disbursed for wanting to take time off

The iPod: staff are each issued an ipod on which they must start and stop a clock at the beginning and end of each patient treatment to verify minutes treated and that minutes are not inappropriately co-treatment minutes (as mandated by recent Medicare laws); the ipod is also used to bill treatment units and do daily notes, clock-in/clock-out as well as email for communication to staff
    -not entirely a bad idea but much too difficult to work with at this point and there's a lack of support for staff issues with it, also a lot of inefficiency due to poor interface and data loss that has to be re-entered
    -feels very impersonal to receive emails throughout the day from the rehab director, who I see throughout the day but doesn't speak to me but sends emails instead, very hands-off management style that doesn't help morale or teamwork; also very distracting to have to check emails so frequently during the day, to avoid additional emails of "did you get my email?"
    -appears unprofessional-our elderly patients and their families complain that we are texting or playing games on our phones because they are unfamiliar with the ipod as a documentation device, I find this embarassing and disrespectful to them

Poor communication from management, lack of appreciation for hard work, lack of positive reinforcement from management, lack of proper conflict resolution system, very low morale among staff, animosity from management, high turnover, lots of temp-staff used

Human resources and payroll difficult to contact and have inefficient problem-solving abilities and lack of investment in individuals, possibly because it's such a large corporation and they are several states away

Advice to Management

I'm sure it's difficult to maintain such a large company, find good people and still turn a profit. But your therapy staff are the base for all of it, and we don't want to be treated like cattle. Your very high expectations are more likely to be met if you make your staff feel appreciated and if you can retain the best staff by providing a good working environment. People will work harder for management that is supportive and will work better if allowed to have a better work/life balance.

"They lie! It's all about the profit. Not about the patient."

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at RehabCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hmmm. Trying to think......still thinking, okay, none.

Cons

Oh my gosh where to start? This company is unethical, greedy and unprofessional. Lets start with unrealistic productivity expectations. Management tells you what the productivity must be, but are not around to show you how to do it. And why? Productivity demands are ridiclous, and unethical. Software program for evaluations is ridiculously redundent. How many times do we have to rewrite the long term goals without being able to cut and paste? How is that saving time? Horrible training. Horrible tech support. No respect for experience or salary rate in buyout situation. Lowballing pay for the evaluating therapists and paying the therapy aides the COTAs and PTAs a little bit over market rate is their game. Managment poorly trained on many aspects, training does not jive with what is in writing in their handbooks. Despite record profits management cut 401k matching. Petty and cheap. They are being investigated by the State Department for kickbacks in state of Missouri. This is an unethical, greedy, profit hungry company. STAY AWAY IF YOU KNOW WHAT'S GOOD FOR YOU.

Advice to Management

Stop treating your therapists like dogs.

"Run don't walk away from this job"

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Syracuse, NY
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Syracuse, NY

I have been working at RehabCare full-time

Pros

Really can't think of any...let's see....the facility is near good shopping and restaurants..met a few nice therapists.

Cons

Entire emphasis is upon generating profits for the corporation, absolutely not upon what is right for patients. Deceitful, unethical, mean spirited, guaranteed to be subject of further lawsuits.

Advice to Management

Try to look at yourself in the eyes in the mirror and ask why you would participate in this despicable sham.

"Contract positions. Watch out if they are losing their contract. You will be harrassed and humiliated until you leave."

Former Employee - Program Director in Green Bay, WI
    Former Employee - Program Director in Green Bay, WI

I worked at RehabCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers who stick together to get the job done.

Cons

Awful management. Corp Sales leaders/consultants have no sales experience. When their contract is up through no fault of the employee you will be harrassed and humilated to leave because they no longer need your services. It is their way or you are gone. They make up figures that can not be met to get the contract.

Advice to Management

There are no words to describe how awful employees at the company are treated. They will clean out a whole department of 20-50 people and start over. It happens all over this country.

"Terrible company to work for"

Former Employee - COTA
    Former Employee - COTA

I worked at RehabCare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers were all friendly and easy to work with. Hourly rate was good.

Cons

Treats therapists like they don't matter. They act like you should have no life outside of work. Productivity is way too high to ethically fit into one day. Rehab techs did more of the rehab managers job than they did transporting or assisting with patients. No raises due to pay freeze. Medical and dental expensive and coverage was poor. You almost never heard anything positive about how hard you worked or going above and beyond for patients, but they were quick to tell you when something was wrong. Very numbers driven company, not for the residents at all! Hardly ever saw upper management and when you did it was never said "good job" as a department for all the hard work. Too many patients put in highest rug level to maximize reimbursement, whether the therapist said they were appropriate or not. Everyone expected to be seen the max amount of minutes and are not all appropriate. Had to leave early when census dropped for months! I would be very careful if considering a position with them.

Advice to Management

Tell your therapists you appreciate the hard work once in a while. Have techs do more transporting and assistance in the gym rather than managerial work in front of a computer for most of the day. Listen to therapists opinion on what a person can REALLY tolerate, not how much money can you make off of them. Upper management: Make sure the RM knows what they are doing and how to effectively lead the therapy team.

"I was treated extremely poorly."

Former Employee - COTA in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - COTA in Greensboro, NC

I worked at RehabCare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If I had any Pros, I would list them, but sorry, I don't. Why? This company is about productivity and far, far, far from patient care.

Cons

I was terminated from my position in Greensboro, NC SNF facility after working 3 weeks due to low productivity.

Advice to Management

Don't be a leach and feed on us for your own gain.

"OT Okemos and Jackson"

Former Employee - OTR in Okemos, MI
    Former Employee - OTR in Okemos, MI

I worked at RehabCare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits fairly good, really nice to you when they sign you on

Cons

Don't treat therapists well, they hire cheap untrained techs to run the show, therapists are too hard at work to do this. Both places had poor support staff who created manipulative atmospheres and they chopped the therapists before investigating properly. Now both places still have their cheap laborers but have to use travel therapists because they have gone through all local and regional therapists. It doesn't have to be like this

Advice to Management

CEO and coo need to look at your regional, area and other managers, they don't have time or inclination to treat therapists with respect, rather they go on the manipulative words of the cheap untrained