Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Reviews | Glassdoor

Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Reviews

Updated December 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago President and Chief Executive Officer Joanne C. Smith
Joanne C. Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The new work environment is challenging, but worth it (in 8 reviews)

• People are truly committed to patient care and outcomes (in 8 reviews)

1. "Rehab Institute"

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time

Pros

Good work environment, good educational resources, good orientation

Cons

Salary for the cost of living in the area was low

"RN"

Former Employee - Staff RN in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1)good staff
    2) good environment
    3) good patients
    4) good physicians to work with
    5) learning facility

Cons

1) not the best management
    2) not the best equipments
    3) not given proper holiday leaves
    4) not the best communication
    5) under staffed

"Clique-y"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredibly innovative with all the bells and whistles for the patients.

Cons

Everything centers around therapy and not patient care. Labs, CT, patient care—IVs, Foley care—all has to wait until there is a break in therapy. There is a HUGE lack of communication if labs are delayed or not done. There is literally no orientation for mid level staff. The current mid level staff are super clique-y and if you don’t fit in, good luck. There is no support from the physician staff either. The residents are grossly overworked and over stressed.
    Upper management is out of touch with the reality of what is actually going on.

Advice to Management

Rid yourselves of the antiquated pagers that everyone (including yourselves) hate. Acknowledge that everyone is different and not just physically. Discourage clique behavior.

"Stroke unit was the best"

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing staff from the nurses to housekeeping. Great rapport with each other that lead to amazing teamwork. Surrounded by people who love what they do and genuinely work hard to help the patients and family members. Nurse manager approved schedule changes with no problem. You get a raise after your evaluation every year. Great vacation/sick pay.

Cons

At the time I had worked there, the break room was small and there was not a huge selection in the cafeteria for employees to choose from. Also there wasn't a good discount for employees in the hospital cafeteria. Sometimes too understaffed. The higher ups don't seem to care much about the nurses or techs because they spend the hospital budget on unnecessary things rather than giving staff higher pay or bonuses unlike other hospitals around them.

Advice to Management

Please look into paying nursing staff and allied health better. They're the reason why your hospital is Magnet and 5 star so you should treat them like they matter.

5. "Growing into the new building is worth it"

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new work environment is challenging, but worth it! I am so impressed with the shared commitment among the teams.

Cons

Management is rebalancing the teams to handle the larger building and the growth in demand. The growing process is a little painful!

"PR posts fake reviews on here"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location, new facility is nice

Cons

As you read through these reviews, please know that public relations at SRAL (formerly RIC) writes fake reviews for Glassdoor and if they don't post them themselves, they ask employees to post them. I know this for a fact, as a few of my colleagues were approached to do so and ended up posting what they had written. This was not really framed as optional, but as "this comes from the top and there will be consequences if you don't do it." So basically instead of actually improving work conditions at this place, they decide to dupe all the poor souls who think this could be a good place to work, since SRAL is luckily still riding on the coattails of the success it had under the leadership of Dr. Betts.

Advice to Management

Purge upper management (including the CEO), anything would be better than the jokes you employ now. Moral is so low and turnover is so high. No one trusts anyone else since backstabbing and tattling is rampant, so everyone is constantly on edge. This is an environment fostered from the top down and unless something is done from the absolute top, nothing will change.

"Central Supply"

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time

Pros

Location, patients, co-workers, & LOCATION!

Cons

Benefits, parking, & cafeteria are all way to expensive.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR STAFF!

8. "Patient financial services"

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time

Pros

Great organization. Awesome benefits. They truly care about their patients and their employees. We just moved to our new building and i can confidently say is the best in the world!

Cons

Too much work. They need to hire more people.

Advice to Management

More positive reinforcement

9. "Nurse intern"

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago part-time

Pros

Good pay rate per hour

Cons

Hard physical work; be prepared to do a lot

"Look before you leap."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time

Pros

Decent unit culture. Compared with previous jobs, most physicians I've encountered are approachable and have collaborative relationships with nursing. Because of organization's reputation, most patients who get in have been vetted and are pleasant/participatory in their care. Looks good on a resume.

Cons

Mediocre benefits, especially for an organization that prides on itself for being the best in its class in the country. Pay is not commensurate with amount of responsibility (many total care and complex patients with VADs, trachs, wounds, etc.; 5:1 or 6:1 ratios on days/evenings.) Organization is currently experiencing severe growing pains (move to new hospital, rebranding). EXTREMELY disorganized from a payroll/HR perspective; I have needed to fill out manual time sheets for over a month because of issues with the time clock. Out-of-touch upper management that appears to make decisions in a vacuum (at least from a nursing perspective.) Difficult to coordinate nursing care, because in a rehab setting, you work around therapy rather than the other way around.

Advice to Management

Follow the same Platinum Rule that you have us follow: treat others as they want to be treated. Sit down with staff RNs and have frank discussions regarding staffing and Cerner upgrades; I have yet to meet a single floor RN/PCT who feels bed alarms going to every phone on the unit is a good idea, for example.