Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 6, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago President and Chief Executive Officer Joanne C. Smith
Joanne C. Smith

Pros
  • People are truly committed to patient care and outcomes (in 8 reviews)

• This is indeed a great place to work (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance sometimes is going to be tough and prepare for long hours (in 6 reviews)

• Quarters are tight, but everyone is really excited about the new hospital (in 5 reviews)

1. "An innovative and cutting edge future with humanity"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President, Chief Administrative Off in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People---so committed to ensuring that patients reach their full ability;
    Vision--it isn't enough to dream it, you must implement it;
    Environment--people genuinely care about each other

Cons

Fast-paced environment;
    Lots of change happening right now--for the positive but you need to embrace changes.

Advice to Management

Communication is always key.

2. "Why I Joined RIC"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time

Pros

Although I've only been with the organization for a short period of time, I am impressed with the mission and the services we provide. People are truly committed to patient care and outcomes. There is great compassion and empathy for our patients, who trust us at the most vulnerable time in their lives. This is indeed a great place to work!!!!!

Cons

We have to become more competitive with pay so we can continue to retain and attract top talent. I would like to see some type of incentive compensation put in place, when financial and personal goals are met.

Advice to Management

Continue to be visible and interact with staff! I want all staff to know how truly awesome you all are.

3. "Lab technician"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (Less than a year)

Pros

Good location to work. Good hospital

Cons

Over worked under staffed, no lunch breaks.

Advice to Management

Comunication

"Inspiring Mission and Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Inspiring Mission
    -Excellent patient care
    -Good pay and benefits
    -Great people (co-workers) who work hard every day no matter what

Cons

-No career advancement
    -People are randomly laid off for no reason and rest of staff is expected to pick up slack
    -Senior Management has no vision for what the organization will look like after the move to the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab or at least it is not shared with staff
    -Senior Management will constantly tell you how important you are to the organization, but never actually show you by allowing you to advance in a career path move
    -IS department is disorganized and very slow to respond to issues

Advice to Management

-Show staff you appreciate them by fostering their development
    -Take action to discipline employees who are not qualified, do not do their job, and constantly pass the buck to other employees who are dedicated and try hard.

6. "Registry Administrative Coordinator"

Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator Flex Staff in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative Coordinator Flex Staff in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Hospital. Very important to the national and international community. The staff are really friendly. Was offered an opportunity after the conclusion of my internship. Cafe and lunch room equipped quite nicely. Perks in varying discounts for lunch and Divvy bikes to name a few. I was very proud to work for an organization with prestige.

Cons

Hours varied and changes in my schedule occurred quite often, some even last minute. I was wrongfully terminated after my new manager blatantly mislead HR. HR found the my manager did mislead them and did nothing about it. I dedicated most of my lunch hours to working extra in order get things done. Not a lot of African Americans in managers roles, If any.

Advice to Management

Please take care of your employees. Especially the ones the go above and beyond to get the job done. Increase diversity in upper management.

"BEWARE - Patient Financial Services"

Current Employee - Patient Financial Services Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Financial Services Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work we do with patients is outstanding and innovative. The hospital staff has great attitudes and seem happy to be apart of RIC.

Cons

Horrible management team! Staff is not allowed to talk to one another, nasty emails from managers, managers not communicating with staff unless its something negative, low moral due to management team, low pay, high work volume, under staffed and over worked. One manager will berate and embarrass her team members on the floor with condescending remarks in front of the staff. The Exec Dir is self centered, and condescending and this is how her management team treats their staff members. There is no bonus or reward system for meeting very high goal expectations. All other departments in the office have high moral and work together well but not at PFS.

Advice to Management

The management team needs leadership and human interaction training. The Exec VP, President and VP need to take a more active role and investigate the treatment of staff in this department.

"I'm not sure how they have such a great rating"

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great camaraderie among staff. Everyone really gets along so well on the floor.

Cons

That is, they get a long until they need to help you take care of a patient or do their jobs. Then it's every person for him or herself. Patients fall, urinate on themselves, or don't get the additional nursing attention they need because floors are understaffed and the staff that are there will not help. There is no sense of teamwork. It is really frustrating and demoralizing to see coworkers treat patients like this and to see management not do much to correct it.

Advice to Management

You have to increase quality. Pay staff more so that you can hire the best nurses. If a PCT refuses to do their jobs and assist in patient care, fire them. We do not need staff who do not put patients first.

"RIC, the new and better"

Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Patient Care Technician in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (More than 8 years)

Pros

RIC Is clean. They pay the housekeepers just enough to clean the areas for families to come visit. It's also a healthy community where everyone keeps to themselves but has friends. The bosses are relatively friendly and welcome their new workers.

Patients families will sometimes bring gifts or money. You see your favorite patients thank you for helping them through their journey.

Cons

Despite the new building that's come next year, 2017, and an influx of donations, they refuse to pay their healthcare professionals more. Many workers have left to Northwestern as their bonuses are better. In fact, RIC Spent $500 million on a new building and even had the nerve to ask their workers for donations. They spent not one dime on its employees. The main goal was to prevent from paying more for Northwesterns garage because we sold ours for Chicago to build a new apartment building. The majority of working single moms with children who they work hard to provide for. While we get cheap gifts like a speaker or hats, Northwestern Hospital gives out $500.

The patients will regularly call you fatophic, transphobic, racist, sexist, or homophobic slurs because most are handicapped and will never enjoy the same movements as you and I will. The doctors believe they are better than the nurses, PCT, and CNA's despite the latter doing more work than the actual doctors. You will defiantly see someone die and become heavily depressed due to the news that their condition will never change. It's a very emotional job as you will have a minimum of 10 patients, which I guarantee only 40% will leave during your time there. Even if you're not involved with nursing but housekeeping, it can become really dirty.

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more money. With a new building, you can afford to bump everyone's salaries up. Especially since RIC pays their workers significantly less than many other employers in the Chicago area.

"Occupational Therapist, Program Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Occupational Therapist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Occupational Therapist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, lots of speciality services to refer to and learn from including assistive technology, Wheelchair room, prosthetics & orthotics

Cons

Large corporation that doesn't always value the time of the employee including mandatory meetings over lunch or after hours, limited face time or approachability to anyone who actually has control over the day to day work environment. Often time middle management and no control and upper management seems to have limited understanding of daily life on the floor needs / desires of patients and clinicians.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your employees, invest more into employees and value their time. Staff at RIC are often overworked resulting in limited retention. If you want to be the best you have to keep the best instead of working them to the ground.

11. "Help Desk"

Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Help Desk Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great technology fast paced learning can be challenging troubleshooting and repair on site is required

Cons

micromangement, not much support from out side vendors can be a stressful environment at times due to the nature of working with individuals with injuries

Advice to Management

provide better incentives for employees in the form of pay increases as well as maybe contests and prizes and different events.