Reis Reviews | Glassdoor

Lloyd Lynford
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Very immature coworkers with little to no professionalism (in 3 reviews)

• Middle management is incompetent and condescending (in 4 reviews)

"Circling the drain...caution advised"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Reis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The product is a market leader, and is essential to many CRE professionals daily work.

Cons

The company is sadly losing what has made it great. As sales have dropped off, due to market saturation, they have thrown an incomprehensible amount of money trying to transform the sales process. This is routinely discussed on quarterly analyst calls, and the results haven't met expectations. Unfortunately, these efforts have been less than successful, and have created unintended consequences with a mass exodus of sales talent leaving the company, either by choice, or termination. Morale is at an all time low, with those staff remaining racing for the exits as quickly as possible, as the damage created is irreparable.

Advice to Management

Seek advice from your employees. So many decisions over the past two years were made without consulting those who they would effect most. It's so disappointing because you really did have an incredibly loyal and proud workforce. Restoring that sense of pride and loyalty should begin with an executive management self assessment, and honest apologies to staff for the environment toxicity. Honestly may be difficult, but it is respected over continual excuses and blame.

"Its a Job"

Current Employee - Sales in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

make enough money to come back to work, you don't need any particular skills to do the job

Cons

you do the same thing every day , you do the same thing every day , you do the same thing everyday ...the positive reviews on here are from management

Advice to Management

Train managers how to manage.

Reis Response

May 4, 2017 – VP HR

We are sadden to hear that you are having this experience however, we have been working very hard to address these issues.

"Research Analyst"

Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Market Research Analyst in White Plains, NY

I worked at Reis full-time

Pros

Easy to pick-up. Great job if your looking to make avg income for the rest of your life.

Cons

you do the same work every day.

Advice to Management

no advice would help.

"Not a pleasant experience"

Pros

A lot of parking spaces
    Coffee/Tea/Water
    Business Casual attire
    "Dress down" Fridays
    Depending on personality the environment is quiet

Cons

Training was not fluid. My group was actually told by one of the individuals training us that he had no clue what he was doing. Team leaders didn't explain the work very well. The work is repetitive. Nothing too complex nor challenging, just boring. This is the quote on quote "easy" job. There is a little conversing amongst employees but for the most part everyone is glued to their computer. If you can stomach sitting behind a desk, googling and copy & pasting for 7 hours then this is a great opportunity.

Advice to Management

Training the new hires should be improved.

"Sales Comp"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Pros

Not many to say...

- Real professional setting
    - Necessary experience in the workforce
    - Great benefits and office is in good location.

Cons

Where do I begin. If you are not hired directly with the company, I would stay away from Reis. First there is no growth or advancement. I was not "hired" by Reis. I was placed there by a recruiting agency. As was the case I felt like I never belonged. I did all the work that was asked of me, went into work early and was told to leave because of a "few mistakes" that the higher ups could not tell me in person. Who would want to work for that. The work is really boring, and unless you can do the same thing over you will go insane.

Take my advice, you can find better places to work than at Reis. Do not work for them at all. OF the 6+ weeks I was there, I hardly got to know the people I was working for. Your time and energy are more valuable to another company who treats all employees the same.

Advice to Management

Temps are the only people who would want to work for you. Have more than one day of training. My biggest advice is to be more engaging and get to know the new guys better because they are the only ones who will work for you.

"An exploitative, soul-crushing, micro-managed hell."

Current Employee - Survey in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Survey in New York, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time

Pros

If you're at the NYC office, then it's the location. Other than that, there really isn't much to write home about.

Cons

Where does one begin? The level of favoritism and elitism is palatable. If you're in survey, then you're non-existent and expendable because Reis' mentality is if you're not earning money for them, then you're not important. Meanwhile, the survey team is a big part of what makes the wheels go round.

Further, the micro-managing is insane. Middle management is clueless and lacks the moxie necessary to push back their superiors when they hatch their last minute plans to join the rest of the real estate information world. Reis does not invest in the training of their middle-managers. Therefore, their tone is almost always condescending and rude. Middle management treats its employees like faceless children, addressing them in e-mails by their initials. They're managers simply because they've been there long enough, not because they're mentally competent.

The expected productivity is unrealistic for a number of reasons. First, if you've worked there long enough, you stop caring altogether. Secondly, your responsibilities change in a heartbeat and you're expected to perform right away. Reis forgets that surveying is a monotonous purgatory and humans need time to adjust when things abruptly change. Unfortunately, they're not sensitive to that reality, and therefore, drive you up the wall. Lastly, the contacts themselves are sick and tired of Reis calling them non-stop.

Advice to Management

Join the 21st century. Technology is your best friend. There is no reason, other than woeful negligence, that Reis still uses the amount of paper that it does. That alone speaks to how lost and behind the times Reis is. Another example of lethargy is how Reis goes about collecting its data. Cold calling? In today's world? Really? Good luck with that.

Invest in your employees, especially your middle managers. Middle management lacks the people skills necessary to get the most out of their teams. You cannot bury your employees for three months, send them a thank you email, give them a $200 bonus (which is taxed almost 50%) and think everyone is going to go home feeling appreciated and ready to work hard the next day/quarter.

Finally, exhibit a clear sense of direction and invest time in planning and preparing your staff for major changes. Communication is key, and Reis as a whole is terrible at communicating to its employees what's coming around the corner. The issues I've discussed lead to discontentment, indifference, and low productivity. Eventually, your company will fold like a lawn chair. Get it together.

7. "Dead End"

Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are OK. Location is pretty good (Midtown). Strictly 9-5, so your free time is your own. Benefits are comparable

Cons

There is no future. You will never advance. Never. They rarely promote from within, so it is not worth trying.

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time

Pros

People are nice to work with.

Cons

Very little employee appreciation. Work/life balance is not a priority for them. They are more interested in watching the clock to make sure you put in your desk time and counting how many calls you make than actually being strategic. Mgmt has their favorites and everyone else seems expendable. Little direction, everything is last minute. Besides knowing that the competition is crushing them there is little real competitive knowledge. Sometimes I wonder if they live in reality with their unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Learn about your competition. Cube checks and minimum calls/day are not the reason for lost sales.

"No growth potential"

Pros

Stable and steady great start for a new college grad.

Cons

No growth potential. So get the experience and keep looking.

Advice to Management

I have no advice to management other than it would be nice to acknowledge your employees when they say hi.

10. "Tedious"

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, consistent pay check PTO days (which aren't that great since you don't get sick days) if you like to make more money you're expected to work more hours (6 weeks each quarter, this can be a pro or a con because it's mandatory extended hours so don't expect to take an hour lunch and leave at 5 during this time each quarter)

Cons

Same thing every day work gets so boring you're rarely ever acknowledged for a job well done the more you do the more they expect and now they took all the websites that we get our information from away making the research a lot more difficult they're relying more on getting phone surveys which in reality is the hardest thing to do since most people barely want to give you the time of day.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your team more we're the ones making you money and from what I've seen a lot more than what we make. Don't throw information at us then expect to tell us later at some point- reading things in emails is not the professional way to handle new changes