Reis Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 19, 2017

Reis Chief Executive Officer Lloyd Lynford
Lloyd Lynford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Friendly co-workers and a relaxed environment (in 5 reviews)

• Great benefits, new operations management is excellent, great work environment, great tools to do our job with help on Salesforce and other stuff (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Very immature coworkers with little to no professionalism (in 3 reviews)

• Middle management is incompetent and condescending (in 4 reviews)

1. "Research Associate"

I have been working at Reis full-time

Pros

Free coffee all day, great people to work around, and they don't micro manage you. Great place to start as your first job out of college. The pay is fair initially, but won't be something you could really live off of.

Cons

The company upper management don't really know what they are doing and are going to be the reason this company someday will probably go under. They use old methods like cold calling to get their info, which works but in this day and age it will be outdated very soon. They also keep all their employee's in the dark about things and don't let them know whats is going on. Also i feel bad for the customers who buy our lousy reports since they are reports to represent quantity over quality and could be much better if the company didn't push minimums encouraging surveyors to rush surveys and build no connection with the people that provide us with the data.

Advice to Management

Create a clear career path in this company and do a better job at making sure your employee know about the company that they work at and what is going on in it. Upper management also treats everyone below them like they don't exist and don't acknowledge anyone at all that is below them. When i mean upper management i'm referring to the really higher ups and not the floor managers.

2. "Good Benefits"

Current Employee - Research Associate in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Research Associate in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Provides important benefits such as 401(K), Health insurance, paid-time off.

Cons

Could improve company culture and career pathways for employees.

3. "Decent job for someone out of college"

Pros

Consistent, predictable work at a big company; not the most fulfilling work, but it is straightforward and somewhat simple for many positions at the company.

Cons

Middle management was ineffective and not supportive of making their employee's work more efficient. Many staff felt like they were not supported or cared for at the company.

"Sliding"

Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Market Research Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Friendly co-workers
    * Okay pay
    * PTO and Performance based quarterly bonuses
    * Health benefits

Cons

* Meddling and out of touch upper management that possess a "do more, for less" mentality that inevitably ends up making your day to day unnecessarily difficult and stressful.
    * Multiple teams in multiple sectors under staffed. Creating discourse amongst employees that is somehow not addressed.
    * Unrealistic productivity expectations.
    * Little to no communication from ANYBODY other than your direct manager. Very frustrating.

Advice to Management

REIS isn't a bad company, and certainly not as sweat shop esq as many of the complaints on here insist it is...but it needs work, and it needs work fast. Your most loyal employees are getting fed up with unfair treatment and out of control and unnecessary micro-managing from the upper management.

"Sales Comparable Analyst / Research Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Comparable Analyst in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Comparable Analyst in Bronx, NY

I worked at Reis (More than 3 years)

Pros

-PTOS are generous
    -If you are new to commercial real estate you will learn a lot
    -Production as a research associate is easy to track
    -Work hours are reasonable
    -Most managers are very fair and reasonable

Cons

- Not a lot of room for growth in the company if you really love real estate
    - If you have real estate knowledge,experience, or training certain aspects of the Sales Comparable Analyst position may frustrate you
    -Pay is very low compared to the rest of the industry
    -Too much internal dissension over petty things within the company's departments does not create a team environment. Teams that could help each other and the company fight each other and lower morale.

Advice to Management

A company divided against itself cripples production.

6. "Data Entry"

Current Employee - Data Entry in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Entry in New York, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good experiences to work there for 4 years

Cons

Surveyors took over data entry.

"Ok, if youre able to grind through the work. This job isnt for everyone"

Former Employee - Research Associate in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Research Associate in White Plains, NY

I worked at Reis (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great boss.
    Mike, my immediate supervisor, has been with Reis for over 15 years I think. The guys is just great. He's so relaxed and laid back...something many people aren't used to getting from a manager. With that said, he still knows how to get people to work hard for him. He's got an approach to management that I greatly appreciated...and he knows how to connect with employees.

He's definitely someone you could have a beer with or go with to a concert if he wasn't your boss. Not saying that I would be against it. I just mean that HR and Executive management might frown on that.

- Relaxed work environment.
    One of the best things about this place was how relaxed they were about the office. Because the work can be so hard, having a relaxed environment helps the day pass. When I was there, micromanagement hardly happened. You really only experienced it if you slacked, or if it was near the end of the quarter and we were really behind in our data collection.

There was free coffee, and every so often free snacks or lunch. There's also sometimes special holiday trips (sports games, events) and there's always a holiday dinner and dance at a fancy place.

Dress code is business casual, and they are ok with tattoos and even some piercings so long as executive management or clients were not visiting. Of course you couldn't go overboard with any of that. Personally, I kept piercings out when I was at work, and covered my arm tattoos unless it was very hot and I had to have my sleeves up.

- Decent PTO.
    Compared to other entry level jobs right out of college, this PTO was rather decent. If you worked full time all year, you'd accumulate 18 days of PTO, combined with your 2 floating holidays. So thats 20 days off, which comes to 4 weeks of vacation, on top of several holidays during the year. Thats not bad in my opinion.

I had some friends who only got 2 or 3 weeks vacation their first year. 4 weeks starting out isnt bad at all.

- Decent Benefits
    Benefits weren't expensive really...and the flex account was nice. Also they did discounts on gym memberships...and there was even a gym attached to the building site in White Plains.

- Good HR and management when it comes to taking time off
    Talking time off was no hassle. You just talked to your manager, or simply input it into the HR system so both your manager and HR could review the request. Usually time was granted as long as it wasnt near the end of the quarter.

Cons

- This work isnt for everyone.
    All you do is cold call all day for about 85% of the quarter. Then you do internet research the last 15% of the quarter. I dunno if its different now...but thats how it was back in 2013/2014

Youre constantly dealing with rude receptionists because their real estate agents and property managers are ducking you. Thats because Reis calls some people A LOT to gather data. Yes you have a list of who youre trying to contact up front...but its still cold calling since these people werent looking forward to your call or wanting it.

Sometimes you have to offer them a free market report in order to get them to help you complete several surveys. The job isnt for everyone. There is some turnover in the position because of it. And myself and others got burnt out before hitting 1 year.

- Pay could be better

You start at around 30k...which isnt enough to move out after college...but its a foot in the door to the real world right? Given the fact that really ANYONE could do this job...and how little skills it takes...the pay makes some sense. But it sucks being a college grad with a good about of debt, and making that salary in the NY Metro area.

- Inefficient information gathering
    It felt like we wasted so much time calling people and not getting information. The % of completed surveys of properties in a territory seemed low. It feels like management or senior analysts could figure out an innovative way to better gather data. The current methods seem "just" good enough...but not the best.

There needs to be a supplement to the current gathering methods.

- Not much room for growth. People can get promoted, but there are only so many new positions to move into. There are a alot of research associates...and thats because there are a ton of real estate properties in our big country.

Because of this, there are not enough promotions for people to move into after putting their time in. I had friends who put in their time, and eventually moved to other companies because of this.

Advice to Management

Like they would listen to me? Honestly I just think the company needs to find better ways of gathering data besides endless cold calling and weak internet research. Think of new innovative ways of making industry contacts.

"Alright"

I worked at Reis full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Hours
    Direct bosses were great

Cons

Overworked for the salary
    Internet Explorer...come on guys...
    Upper management is beyond out of the loop and dismisses great ideas, while coming up with their own that are both pointless and inefficient.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees, figure out what is, and what isn't working to help build the company into something stronger. You were strong in the 80's and through the 90's, but have failed to adapt to the increasing technological superiority of the competition.

9. "Former Market research associate"

Former Employee - Market Research Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Market Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Reis full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy work, gateway job to industry

Cons

They tend to run using older technology.

Advice to Management

update your technology...

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Reis full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hours, office location, non-stressful environment, good foot in door to CRE industry, and overall friendly people

Cons

Little to no feedback taken by HR in regards to employees outside high ranking, impossible to get promoted unless you stay at the company for decades

Advice to Management

Promote an environment which fosters career growth, pay your analysts more