Reit Management and Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Adam D. Portnoy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, very helpful corporate office and good benefits for a part-time employee (in 7 reviews)

Cons

"Good Benefits for Part-Time Work"

Former Employee - Guest Services Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Guest Services Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at Reit Management and Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, very helpful corporate office and good benefits for a part-time employee. I worked 70% full time, yet they still offered me a full 401k match and they gave me 70% holiday pay and offered to pay for 70% of my health insurance premium. I also got an HSA card.

Cons

The particular location I worked at did not have a good boss, but I don't think he's there anymore.

Advice to Management

As with all large companies, there was not a lot of room for creative thinking. Everyone had their role, and you had to follow the rules. This could be a hindrance in the long run.

"Property accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

Pros

Retirement plan was very good

Cons

Caustic work environment, buracratic nightmare

3. "Assistant Property Manager"

Pros

Great benefit packages and time off.

Cons

Some disconnect btw corporate and onsite management. Overall a great experience.

"No chemistry all about me"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newton, MA

I worked at Reit Management and Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary and bonus.

Cons

No life work balance no team work no chemistry no trust

Advice to Management

Management doesn't listen or care so no advice given

"Could be Worse"

Former Employee - Former IT in Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Former IT in Newton, MA

I worked at Reit Management and Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The compensation is good. Bonuses can be good if you're liked, but pay for performance doesn't really exist. The benefits such as health, vacation, etc. are good. 401k is 100% on 1st 3, 50% on next 3. There's a nice holiday party. There are bagels on Friday. There is free coffee, tea, cocoa. There are occasional lunches. There are a lot of smart and great folks to work with. The team in the trenches is generally cooperative...not a lot of egos...sharp, talented people capable of more than they're allowed

Cons

The management ethos ranges from micro-managing distrust to outright nastiness. There's no vision or strategy, and the blame is placed on the volatility of the business. It's a cop-out. There's a total lack of planning....strategic or otherwise…with the preference being to just whip the rowers to promote compliance. It keeps folks guessing and dis-empowered. The business leaders either haven't figured out that the reason their turnover rate is nuts is because their staff is handled so poorly, or they simply don't care.

What’s nuts? In excess of 11 IT folks in 18 months in a 60 person shop, including 8 manager/director level folks…some of whom had first been shunted off into split off RMR holdings where things were no better. That doesn’t include several sacrificial lambs brought in as contractors, beaten bloody (figuratively of course), and then unceremoniously given the boot. The best and brightest...and I don’t number myself among them by any stretch…don’t stand a chance. Average time of stay? Around 2 years

It's not fun, and that's in the very bones of the organization. There are superficial attempts to spice things up but that only makes the disconnect between the upper management and the rest of the crew more apparent. You can't be someone's "buddy" one moment and be lambasting them the next. It's a shop that has no leadership, just bosses. The CIO is unclear in setting expectations, and tends to revamp them regularly so you never really know if you’re on track. Add no planning to that along with his tendency to be dismissive, impatient, and insulting and you end up with an environment that is whirl-wind of demotivation and devaluation.

Advice to Management

I’ve really given this one a lot of thought, and the sad fact is that anything written here will fall on deaf ears. The organization…and its holdings like Five Star and Sonesta….is about charging hard and making money. There’s no “greater purpose” that can be used to lift morale. Folks stay because they need jobs, because the commute is good, because change is scary. An internal survey and countless exit-interviews have provided necessary feedback.

So this review has been written and submitted not to help provide a cure but to warn potential job seekers of what lies beneath the covers. I should note that The ONLY reason this wasn’t rated a 1 is because there ARE worse places to work; not much to hang a hat on.

"Desktop Engineer"

Current Employee - Desktop Engineer in Mattapan, MA
    Current Employee - Desktop Engineer in Mattapan, MA

I have been working at Reit Management and Research (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a huge possibility to grow and change the mindset of management

Cons

A little to micro-management of team

"Worst company I ever worked for"

Former Employee - Desktop Architect in Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Desktop Architect in Watertown, MA

Pros

Benefits are the same as every other's companies

Cons

The CIO is a micromanager and you will not last long there if he does not like you

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CIO

"Best company for which I have worked"

I worked at Reit Management and Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good communication from HR and benefits departments, small company feel, involved management, willingness to evolve

Cons

Somewhat inflexible with regards to working from home, or working odd hours. Management can be oblivious to morale problems, or a part of them.

Advice to Management

Continue to open the lines of communication and listen to what the staff has to say. The company overall treats employees well, it now just needs to trickle down to management.

9. "Great Benefits"

I have been working at Reit Management and Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cheap benefits, good PTO and good management communication.

Cons

Small headcount, growth opportunities are tough.

"Company Revamping = Even more work and less benefits"

I worked at Reit Management and Research full-time

Pros

If you are looking to learn every aspect of the Commercial Real Estate Industry, and can work independently without any guidance or support - then this is the place. Benefits were good (at the industry standard), but deteriorated significantly this year.

Cons

Hostile work environment, and does not deliver on promises. Chaos Management. The company has been in clean up mode for the past year following the CWH fall out, and it is not getting any better. Constant turnover, and putting unrealistic workload on current employees with no pay for performance. Senior management has taken away/decreased key benefits (401K/vacation) which has demoralized employees with no counteraction from senior management. Senior management has shown no real concern for it's employee base.

Advice to Management

Create pay for performance platform to reward overburdened employees, and revamp support structure. Stop the lip service and condescending talks with employees. Act upon the employee survey/feedback in meaningful ways.