KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Relativity

Engaged Employer

Relativity

Add a Review

Relativity Employee Reviews about "kcura"

Updated Nov 8, 2020

Found 14 of over 359 reviews

4.1
Relativity CEO Mike Gamson
Mike Gamson
Pros
  • "I really enjoyed my time working at Relativity(in 34 reviews)

• "Great work-life balance as well with plenty of PTO that is encouraged(in 23 reviews)

• Cons
  • "of Relativity can mean that people receive information too late or with insufficient detail(in 31 reviews)

• "Work life balance is not a priority of the company’s(in 22 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Relativity

Join the conversation on

Big Law

1m

an

Associate

Anything that can be automated should be automated. AI software and services can perform between 70-90% of what most corporate junior/mid level associates do (and do it faster and more accurately) and over 80% of what anyone doing large-scale e-discovery does. DocuSign Kroll Relativity

13 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Relativity and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "kcura"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Chicago Tech Company to Work For!

May 23, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Lots of learning and development opportunities, generous annual budget to attend conferences, classes, etc. - Pretty good work life balance. There are only a couple times a year that things get crazy. - Convenient downtown Chicago office location. - They do a good job trying to keep a fun office environment with monthly lunches and breakfasts, happy hours, etc. but there's no pressure to participate in social events if it's not your thing. - They are the leader in their industry, which means they work with all the big name companies. - Monthly performance conversations mean you always know where you stand with your manager and what you need to do next. - Depending on your manager, flexible work from home policies. - Upper management is receptive to feedback and very transparent. - Surprisingly well organized HR, admin, and operations teams for a "startup" (although they're not really a startup any more). - Great health insurance at minimal cost to employees. - Closed between Christmas and New Years.

Cons

- kCura is growing very quickly which means there are some kinks in a lot of their processes. For example, getting approvals can be time consuming as different senior leaders have different opinions on things. To be fair, management recognizes that issues exist and are constantly working toward solutions. - The industry (e-discovery) isn't the most thrilling

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Top down “start up” trying to figure it out still.

Nov 8, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits. Good transition to WFH during Covid. Transparent executives.

Cons

Engineers are overworked - everything’s a priority, work life balance is encouraged, and heroes are rewarded for extra work/sacrifice. All of those are in conflict with each other and leads to a really uncertain, overworked environment. There’s an odd cultural divide between those who have been at the company since the Kcura days and the folks hired within the past 2 years. Not a lot of organization or thought around the working relationship between US and Poland.

6 people found this review helpful

Relativity Response

Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for sharing feedback on your experience at Relativity. We do our best to ensure that employees have solid work-life balance from offering workshops and resources to help with stress management as well as our generous time-off policy. All employees are encouraged to take advantage of our unlimited DTO policy to help improve their work-life balance. We recently launched our Global Wellness Initiative to ensure our employees have resources to manage their physical, emotional, financial and social well-being. If employees are struggling to take time off, I recommend they speak with their managers, HR Business Partners or myself to ensure they can take the time they need to reset and refresh. Job architecture is a multi-stage journey and in 2020, we laid our foundation with manager and individual career tracks and our levelling approach. Our next iteration adds a layer that clarifies expectations for each role to aid in more robust career planning. Additionally, regularly receiving direct feedback from our employees is critical so we can focus on the areas that are the most important to them, iterate as necessary and cultivate an environment in which they can succeed and grow their careers. I appreciate your suggestion for more 360° feedback and we’ll keep that in mind as we continue to improve upon our employee review process. Thank you again for your feedback and suggestions. – Beth Clutterbuck, CHRO

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Phenomenal place to work with brilliant people, interesting work and a great culture.

Aug 14, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Strong management team • I'm excited to come into work every day because the work is interesting • Friendly, smart people that you'll learn a lot from • Company growing quickly on pace to own the market. Incredible growth potential. • People have fun -- pong, foos, nba jam, happy hours, etc. • You'll make some great friends here • You'll get a big training budget • Great perks/benefits • Company is small enough for you to make a major impact • Company is committed to agile, ships quickly and values stakeholder feedback • The CEO is awesome, approachable and a rare breed of brilliant engineer + salesman • The VP of engineering is friendly and a great listener devoted to improving the department and providing transparency to teams • Strong commitment to QA and test automation • Cutting edge technology that will someday have far-reaching impacts beyond our current market

Cons

For some roles, there's a lack of granularity that makes it difficult for folks to know what exactly they need to do to level up. I know kCura is acutely aware of this problem and I fully expect management to address this head on this year.

Continue reading
      Be the first to find this review helpful
    4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Not what they sell it as

Aug 31, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits are decent, with a good location in downtown Chicago, The parties after the mandatory all hands meetings have decent food and drink. Most people who work here are genuinely nice. The corporate values sound sensible. If you can keep your head down, work long hours doing what you're told, and not question your superiors, this could be an okay job.

Cons

kCura talks a lot to the public and to itself about how excellent it is. Reality isn't quite the same. We're supposed to expect excellence from each other in our work, but the reality is that a lot of work is barely adequate. The employees with the longest tenure are treated as golden children, and use the core values to protect their roles, even though many of them are out of their depth. The structural problems that bugged me 2 years ago still aren't being addressed, and I'm out of here soon.

16 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0

Best job I've ever had

Jul 15, 2016 - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Bullet points for the TL;DR crowd: * Very competitive pay * Excellent benefits * Exceptional culture; casual dress (like shorts, t-shirts and flip-flops in the summer) every day, a cafeteria with several old-school video games, a ping-pong table and a fooseball table, free fresh fruit, vitamin water, SoBe and soda, once a month there's an all-hands meeting followed by company-sponsored SERIOUS partying... * The people. The people are the substance of the culture, and they're amazing. I've always felt like "the rockstar" almost everywhere I've worked. Here, I feel average at best... and it's AWESOME. Everyone is great at what they do, and not just willing but eager to help each other out. Everyone is HIGHLY dedicated. No slackers allowed, though; you'll be expected to be all these things as well. * The product. It's best-in-class, and challenging as hell to work on... which is a *good* thing, if you consider yourself to be a top-notch IT person. * Guiding principles * VERY feedback-driven; they seek out feedback in every possible way, and make very real changes based on it * Leadership... the CEO of this company is truly inspirational, while at the same time remaining completely accessible and "real". * Rapid growth... the arrow is pointed straight up, here. Now, a bit of backstory for those that are interested... I've worked in IT for 25 years. Granted, a lot of that was contracting, so I wasn't getting the "permanent feel" for the places I worked at... but at the same time, I got an up-close look at what it was like to be an employee, and nobody ever seemed particularly happy with their jobs. No big deal for me, I'd just move on to the next contract. But contracting got old, and I wanted to find a permanent home to grow with. I tried several permanent positions, and I started to wonder if maybe just being happy with doing what I do had to be enough; that I couldn't hope for more than one (maybe two) of good salary, good people to work with, challenging, interesting work with cutting-edge technologies, good benefits, good leadership, and good company direction. I wasn't even job-hunting at the time, I was trying to force myself to stick it out with my current permanent position because I didn't want to be a "job-hopper" any more. I answered the phone on accident, because my policy is to let all numbers I don't know go to voicemail. I was convinced to at least look into kCura on the web, and watch some of the videos the have on YouTube. After that, I was hooked. It was the first interview I'd been on in years where I truly cared about the outcome... and it was also the first interview I actually *enjoyed*. I could tell they cared more about how I thought and problem-solved and what *I* was looking for in a job than if I knew obscure syntactical specifics (that I could look up in a heartbeat with F1 or Google) or "where I saw myself in 10 years". I instantly liked everyone I interviewed with. Getting a job here is literally the best thing that's happened to me, professionally speaking. This is where I originally started bullet-pointing, but I moved it to the top. Bottom line: I look forward to coming to work every day. Even when the work occasionally gets overwhelming, or drags during regression testing... the worst day here is about as good as the best day at most of my other jobs, because of the people I work with.

Cons

TL;DR: * Fast pace * Rapid growth * Work/life balance Those three things are all very closely inter-related, of course... and also, they're only cons if they're things you don't like. I happen to like a fast pace, and the challenges associated with rapid growth. Occasionally, the stress can get high and the hours long. However, I think that, for whatever reason, this is to some degree inescapable and inherent to software development, especially when the software in question is the company's lifeblood and thousands of customers depend upon it. But the bottom line here is, if you're an intractable 9-to-5-er and balk at having to work extra-hard from time to time, this is not the place for you. And yes, rapid growth is a pro, but it has some con side effects. If you've not dealt with rapid growth before, it can be disorienting. Policies and procedures have to change (and not in small ways) on occasion to accommodate the different phases of corporate maturation and employee headcount. However, I will say that they are being VERY pro-active and forward thinking by hiring new C-level and upper management that has already been through the exact phases that are in front of us. You have to like an exciting, fast pace, you have to want to constantly learn (and learn a LOT, mostly about the product itself and its codebase), and you have to be willing to step up and put in some extra work at times. You have to be comfortable with feeling overwhelmed for about a solid year. This is simply not a company for the timid or unmotivated. It's still a bit too small for a variance of opportunity at the mid-career level; the possibility of moving from being hands-on to a more managerial track seems limited and ill-defined. If I cared much about that, it's the one thing that would tempt me to move. But I'm in this for the long haul; the long-term vision at kCura overshadows everything else, for me.

3 people found this review helpful
    6. 5.0
      Current Employee

This is a special place to work, if you want it to be

Jan 26, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

More than anything, kCura is an amazing place filled with friendly, hard-working individuals. There's a passion here that isn't present at a lot of companies, and it's probably what has led to some of the negative opinions in these reviews. Everyone in this company wants to improve the product and the culture, and it's true that people who don't necessarily "fit in" can feel ostracized for that. It isn't expected that you work 12 hour days, but it certainly is appreciated when you've done it in order to make sure you've delivered something exceptional. People on my team are often out the door at 5 PM on the dot, but it doesn't matter because they've done amazing work while they're at the office. There's an obvious difference between someone who's working for the weekend and somebody who's truly passionate about what they do, and it has nothing to do with being "cool" or old friends or what is often perceived as one manager's personal opinion. I feel I have done well during my time with this company, and take a lot of offense to someone suggesting it has to do with anything other than my hard work and dedication to my job. There are a large number of people fresh out of college or without any significant work experience. It's easy to hear of companies like Google giving their employees unbelievable perks, and expect that anything less is a disappointment, when in reality the perks at kCura are beyond what most companies can offer. If you're professional, hard-working and pleasant to be around, you'll do great here (as you will at any company). If you're not delivering and are a detriment to your team, you're probably going to have a bad time (as you will at any company). Other comments: - The compensation is above-average, and the benefits are incredible: at least 18 days PTO, full medical and dental coverage, and a very generous end-of-year bonus, among others - A new, flexible work arrangement policy is addressing the work-from-home concerns

Cons

Some of the reviews on here are not incorrect in respect to the transparency from management. This is a very fast-growing company with employees that are trying to grow with it. There are often management decisions made that are perfectly reasonable, but poorly communicated, and it has led to a lot of the frustration you see here. Most everyone in the company is mature enough to deal with a tough decision, as long as it is clearly explained. There's nothing worse for morale than leaving the rationale of a decision up to the imagination of those affected by it. That being said, I think this is something being improved on every day, and has made great strides thanks to a fairly new addition in our Chief People Officer. Also, the career development within the company has been slow to...develop. As a very young company, there are a lot of employees dealing with the struggles of loan debt and the cost of living in Chicago. Since the primary way of earning a significant raise is via a promotion, that's what everybody is striving for. However, most departments offer very little in terms of upward mobility, or have (justifiably) strong criteria for earning a promotion. This results in employees feeling stuck, despite exceeding expectations within the company. The eDiscovery business, particularly in terms of companies using Relativity, is incredibly lucrative. kCura should recognize that they're providing a ton of experience in an industry that has very little of it, and think about what that means for retaining employees. Work should be about more than just money, but there's a point where it's in your best interest to go towards the better offer, and I'm not sure if the company is aware that many people reach that tipping point.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee

What is Everyone Talking About? Great Technology Company!

Aug 1, 2014 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

People: The folks who work here, and stay here, are nice, intelligent, creative and fun. And everyone is different, which is really awesome. Another common quality of the people who seem to enjoy working at kCura is that they work hard, give and take feedback and are continually working to get better. It is a humble organization with humble employees. Technology: The company provides awesome tools for us to get our work done. kCura is not afraid to spend money on the things that really benefit employees and what we do. Compensation and Benefits: This improves every year. As the company grows, so do our benefits and so must our policies. Company Culture: No company is perfect, but in my opinion, kCura has one of the best company cultures I've seen. In other reviews, people say it’s "cliquey" or "cultish," but this has never been something I've experienced. Employees like to hang out with each other and mingle. Yes, we have happy hours that involve alcohol. We also have sports leagues, various groups for gaming, volunteer activities, and a lot more. I would never say I felt like only one type of person has a social life at work, nor that I feel like I must drink to be involved.

Cons

Rapid Growth: We are growing quickly, and with that kCura struggles to maintain its culture. Understandably some things have to change, but I hope that the real kCura doesn't get lost in the hiring craze. Complainers: Obviously, with more headcount, you have more whiners. Don't like the free lunch offered after the staff meeting? No problem, don't eat it - it's free. Employees are starting to complain about a lot of little things and forget that two of our core values are to "Be humble & stay hungry" and to "Enjoy and be great at your job." Maybe instead of complaining, offer up some realistic suggestions for solutions & alternatives.

8. 2.0
      Former Employee

Feeling kCurious? Proceed with Caution!

Nov 9, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

A development environment with a startup culture and some really smart people: if you love .Net programming, you'll be in your element. Pay is competitive for many job titles; standard benefits (apart from sick days); and recently stock grants for employees that could be worth something sometime in the future when the company goes public. The company has been growing like gangbusters over the last few years and is intent on dominating the industry. The bottom line is solid. Great location in the landmark Bank of America building in the Loop, and the company has invested a lot into making its office space top-notch. The parties are awesome and the CEO knows how to have fun: Andrew is a genuinely good guy with a big heart, and he likes everything to be grand and beautiful. There's also cool perks, like iPads for everyone, free fruit, coffee, and soda, ping pong table and arcade machines in the cafeteria, and even mini-golf on the premises. To summarize, there's a lot to kCura, and the house that Andrew Sieja built could become a home for you, if you play your cards right. But...

Cons

While there are some brilliant people at kCura, especially in the development organization, there's also a ton of incompetence throughout the company. Dealing with inexperience of recent college grads in management positions can be exasperating. To go along with that, there is a mortifying amount of unprofessional behavior and personal immaturity: For example, there is one manager who plays pranks with a fart machine in the office and takes a lively interest in the bowel movements of his colleagues. I have seen emails and IMs with inappropriate subject matter and abusive language. There is bullying and plain rudeness. And like many other reviews on this site note, favoritism and cliques are all over the place. Some departments are worse than others. For example, time reporting requirements in Operations are the most brutal I have seen anywhere in my career: you have to account for work time for up to five-minute increments and report at least 7.5 hours every day. It’s called “Case Time.” For a company that aspires to be cool and hip and sees itself among the Googles of the world, this should be embarrassing. If all of this doesn't scare you, proceed with caution. Make sure you get a clear idea of the department you are being hired into and it’s not one of those where you have to do Case Time. Negotiate tough, make sure your salary and title are in line with your career expectations, and ask for plenty of vacation time. Good luck!

17 people found this review helpful
    9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to start a career

Nov 13, 2016 - Software Engineer In Test in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- The people are by far the best part of working at kCura. There are plenty of very intelligent, passionate, and forward-thinking individuals on the payroll that provide a plethora of experience that someone of any point in their career can learn from. - As an entry-level engineer, I felt that the onboarding process gave individuals enough time to experiment with and learn about the product at a deep level so that you don't feel like you're being thrown into the deep end. With that being said, it is a face-paced environment that forces you to hit the ground running and continually learn in order to thrive. - Office amenities are top-notch: top of the line standing desks, open collaborative areas, and quality hardware makes it so that you'll always have the tools necessary to do your job. Don't forget the fresh fruit selection! - kCura knows how to throw a party and have fun. From the happy hours to the addition of arcade games in the cafe (most notably Killer Queen), there are plenty of opportunities to wind down and enjoy time with co-workers outside of work. There are also plenty of company-sponsored clubs and teams that are great for networking and meeting people with similar interests, everywhere along the spectrum from dodgeball to Magic the Gathering.

Cons

- PTO policy is behind more modern tech companies; the latter often implement unlimited PTO whereas kCura provides much less flexibility with number of days - Much of the product is built on a relatively ancient tech stack that ultimately proves to be more trouble than it's worth to maintain. There have been efforts as of late to modernize the framework, but ultimately new feature requests tend to take precedence over this necessary work. - The company has grown quite significantly in the past few years and the growing pains can be seen very clearly in management. Teams are consistently torn apart and re-organized, resulting in less team cohesion. Communication breakdown between upper management and development teams is frustratingly common, resulting in weeks and months spent churning in the wrong direction. - Lack of career mobility. The company seems to have a strong opposition to promoting from within and instead bring new team members on board frequently. Your ability to be promoted seems to be largely dependent on your manager and your overall perception (e.g. who knows your name) rather than a consistent and clear process based on merit. - Work-life balance is largely inconsistent in the Development department. Some teams spend every weekend doing work to meet deadlines while other teams seem to be coasting along at a pace contrary to the others. This seems to be largely a product of poor resource management and feature planning at a high level.

8 people found this review helpful
    10. 2.0
      Former Employee

Leaders aren't leaders if they don't know how to motivate their teams through collaboration and trust

Aug 26, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Perks and people. Most "on the front lines" are friendly and motivated to learn new things and help each other out. Perks are self explanatory. The company has a specific interest in giving back to the community (great focus on tech and education in Chicago) and the company in the form of outings, lunches, and gear. Also, kCura seems to have pretty stable growth and a sustained customer base so they're not going anywhere any time soon.

Cons

Leadership (CEO and VP) is often quick to blame individuals or the department for poor quality or bad outcomes, when really it starts from the top - lead by example, please! Entire departments are written off if they seemingly "don't get it" or don't produce exactly what leadership has in mind. What ever happened to providing context and goals - not requirements and ill-vetted opinions - so the team can collaborate on the appropriate solution? What happened to trusting the people you hired to do their jobs and play their part in making kCura successful (and keeping it that way)? Also, remaining competitive with outdated technology is only going to get harder and harder - do you want to become the Motorola/Sears of the Chicago engineering community?

14 people found this review helpful