Relevant Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Relevant Media Group Reviews

Updated 23 Sep 2019

2.0
  1. "Great place to work. Get paid what you are worth"

Current Employee - Sales in Ogden, UT

I have been working at Relevant Media Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to choose who you call. Uncapped commissions Base pay plus commissions W2 Job Amazing hours of 7am - 3pm Commission structure makes this very lucrative. Everyone who works here and can do this job, makes great money. Energy and culture is amazing!

Cons

I cant think of any. We have all the tools to be successful!

Advice to Management

Thanks for all of your training and helping me become a better sales person.

Relevant Media Group2019-09-23

"Toxicity through and through"

Former Freelancer - Freelancer

I worked at Relevant Media Group for less than a year

Pros

Connecting with Christian community

Cons

Demanding and erratic CEO, constantly moving goal posts, erratic pay schedule, overstepping of boundaries. Ultimately left feeling so drained and disappointed I considered quitting my industry all together.

Advice to Management

Refocus on your staff. Listen to them. Learn from them.

Relevant Media Group2019-09-22
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"RUN!"

I worked at Relevant Media Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

The office is nice looking and most of the staff is friendly. You may get to work with some folks who are Christian famous, which can be cool if you're into that kind of thing.

Cons

Work culture is the most toxic I've ever worked in. I've never been in a place where people were so unhappy all the time. Turnover is crazy high because of it, and it mostly stems from the fact that the CEO has no respect for employees and isn't accountable to anyone. He loses his temper and insults employees and basically behaves like a spoiled kid. The leadership seems to know this but doesn't seem to care,... because there's like an endless supply of young college kids that love the brand and think it's like at Christian Google. Do yourself a favor and run away from this place.

Advice to Management

Get an HR department. Get someone else to run the place. Learn how to honor people, or close.

Relevant Media Group2019-06-24

"Terrible place to work for."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Ogden, UT

I worked at Relevant Media Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Schedule. Music. Coffee. Downtown location.

Cons

The company is a joke. You have to find your own sources and leads to call, looking through google or your own Facebook page. The base pay wasn’t enough for the struggle of the job. Was hired with no idea that they did a internship for the first 5 days. I quit my position at a different company thinking I was going to have the “training and coaching” that’s advertised to become a great employee to make the “high”... salary amount they promote. There was 0 coaching or training. The “manager” talked to you for about 20 minutes, had you listen to 4 calls and threw you on the phone. Was let go after 3 days of putting effort of calling my own sources and leads. Wasn’t worth my time! Now I’m stuck looking for a job after quitting a good job for a job that advertises something completely different than they offer!

Advice to Management

Learn to coach better. Don’t just expect people to jump on the phones and “kill it”! Stop wasting people time that have bills to pay and kids to raise. You’re advertising a job that doesn’t hold up to what you say!

Relevant Media Group2019-04-06

"Toxic environment, poor treatment of staff. Don’t judge a magazine by its cover."

Former Employee - Head of video department in Orlando, FL

I worked at Relevant Media Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you work here it will unveil the dark side of the Christian profit machine, which is interesting to see at least. God is still good.

Cons

Don’t take this review with a grain of salt; I read these reviews before taking the job and chalked it up to unhappy millennials being whiny. I have a wife and three children and have run my own successful business for nine years and took this position thinking I could contribute to the message of Christ in the world, putting my own business on hold. Was I ever in for a rude awakening, and you will be, too, if you... feel you are joining forces with any type of ministry. If you believe these Glass Door reviews aren’t for you and you won’t be affected by the CEO because your job won’t be overseen by the CEO, think again. His hands are on everything. This applies to all employee positions. Use caution in an extreme way: I was lied to in my interview about my job responsibilities, salary, and the cost of living in Orlando. I was naive and trusted the CEO because I respected him and what I have seen of RELEVANT from the outside. Unfortunately - The pay offered by RELEVANT doesn’t adequately cover the cost of living locally for the position I took, but I was told it would be more than enough for my family. Having moved countries to live here, I trusted the advice I received. This was a rough start. New hires are coming from out of state or country (like our family) because RELEVANT has built a bad reputation in Orlando. This - and the very high rate of turnover - should have told me something from the start but I ignored it. I met so many locals who couldn’t believe we relocated from so far for this job. Red flags. The CEO has some very worrying behaviors I would strongly suggest avoiding: he brings half-baked ideas that he isn’t sure how to make happen, but expects everyone around him to make things come together, without allocating resources for it. As a result, employees are frustrated. He will have a new “most important thing” every day and re-prioritizing happens daily, so nothing gets done - but then he is upset that nothing ever gets done. He speaks to you as though you are stupid. I can attest that the employees at RELEVANT are not stupid - it is absolutely unhealthy. He will take ideas, change them a bit, take credit for it and make that employee feel stupid for their original idea. It is completely bizarre. I have seen him make people cry multiple times - men and women. Many people who work here are “yes” people the moment the CEO walks in the room - they will literally not stop nodding while he speaks - it is crazy to see so many people living in fear of their boss, and speaking badly about him the moment he walks out of the room. It is so unhealthy. I can’t emphasize that enough. I’m not sure where to pop this in, but in a meeting, the CEO referred to Generation X as “idiots” because they think they can change the world. Personally, I think Generation X can change the world. I think THEY are relevant. Isn’t this the whole point of the magazine? Not behind the scenes, it isn’t. Most troublesome: There is a gross misuse of funds received from RELEVANT partners and if a partner ever reads this I strongly recommend that they ask some hard questions about how their partner dollars are truly being used. I would advise asking hard questions about how large the RELEVANT reach really is. Ask for evidence. Don’t get sold with glossy words and sales tactics. The truth: The subscriber base has dropped by 40% but the advertising cost is the same, and I’m not convinced this drop in readership and listeners has been adequately shared with the partners and sponsors. I believe it has been over-exaggerated beyond what it used to be. I’m not familiar with legal implications but at the very least this is unethical. I know as a fact that contractual obligations are not being fulfilled on the part of RELEVANT. I brought all of my concerns to the CEO directly - this isn’t me posting maliciously. He didn’t want to address the concerns himself and demoted me and put someone else as my oversight as his solution to the issues I raised. I’m not sure he is used to people speaking out and didn’t seem to know how to handle it. He knows I feel this way, though, and he will know who I am if he ever reads this. I wish him well, but dang, I hope this behavior and greed runs out of road.

Advice to Management

This business needs an overhaul. There needs to be an intentionality of workplace culture that is separate from the ego of the CEO. This is not how a business is run. This is not how a ministry is run (not that this is a ministry). A good business isn’t contingent on how the leader is feeling emotionally in a certain day - or if he shows up or not. Your mission statement does not match the direction you are going.... If you want to become an advertising agency, stop being a Christian culture magazine. Dropping inauthentic use of “Christianese” as a way of manipulating people and sponsors is really dangerous. Your company exists because you say you believe Christ is relevant today, but this isn’t reflected in the way people are treated - and the Bible says that the world will know Christ’s love by the way we love each other.

Relevant Media Group2018-05-17

"Know what you're getting into"

I worked at Relevant Media Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

You feel like you're making an impact on the broader Christian community. Access to tastemakers and influencers in this niche market. Great team members who can become lifelong friends.

Cons

The pros come at a great, great cost. The mission of the org gets lost in an insanely toxic environment. Employees leave jaded and cynical after emotional abuse from the top. Favoritism is a thing. Lots of fresh grads are hired to keep costs low and they don't know to expect more from their work environment. Friendships are born out of this "in the trenches together" environment. Growth prospects are limited because... of severe micromanagement and toxic leadership styles.

Advice to Management

The internal perception of the office and culture don't match the external perception and even people who haven't worked at RMG, know this to be true. Embrace humility and the fact that you can't control everything. If RMG internally was as good as its external perception, you wouldn't have to.

Relevant Media Group2017-12-27

"UGH"

I worked at Relevant Media Group full-time

Pros

Great friendships made with the staff

Cons

The CEO is a nightmare

Relevant Media Group2017-09-21

"Digital Development Director"

Current Employee - Digital Development Director in Casselberry, FL

I have been working at Relevant Media Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Freedom to develop solutions how you would like (if you're a developer). Opportunity to get paid to learn new skills on the job, and then use them in future projects.

Cons

The CEO can be erratic, sometimes irrational (especially with female employees) and is very stubborn about everything. He is very controlling, and everything must go through him. Often times in the Design department, things are held up because he doesn't provide approval on assets in a timely fashion. He takes long breaks, and often doesn't show up for work. This is disruptive to company fluidity.

Advice to Management

Be less controlling, respect your workers more. You have a great team. I know you've tried many times to have effective project management, and the current PM is great. But you need to let go some times.

Relevant Media Group2016-02-20

"Head of Production"

I worked at Relevant Media Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Other than profit participation, not many pros here. I also met and worked with some really cool people with whom I'm still friends today.

Cons

Disorganized, unprofessional, delusional, poor work environment. The owners had no knowledge of production processes, nor did they have any business acumen.

Advice to Management

It's tough to micromanage when you don't know your craft. Learn your craft, don't micromanage.

Relevant Media Group2015-06-11