Reliance Star Payment Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Fenella Yin Fang Kim

1. "I found my place"

Current Employee - V P of Sales in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - V P of Sales in Great Neck, NY

Pros

I was working with a publicly traded company prior joining Reliance Star. It was a tough decision to make when the offer was presented to me but it was the best decision ever. For the past few months, my experience has been very positive. I have a lot direct interaction with the CEO and she is very pleasant to work with. Like any boss, she is result oriented and driven. Her attitude towards success is nothing but inspiring and contagious. She takes her time to listen to her employee’s needs with anonymous surveys. She also has an open door policy to anyone in the company so we can voice our opinion, to me that is huge! Not only that, the company has a monthly employee appreciation nomination vote and the winner gets recognized and rewarded!

As candid as I can, Reliance Star is not perfect and it has its flaws just like any other company but it is a place I can call home. I see myself not only as an employee but a contributing member of something great! What I do matters and their is nothing more gratifying knowing your efforts is making a difference for the company. Opportunity comes in different shapes and sizes and it is upto us to find the right match. I think I have found my place. I hope you will find this place equally rewarding as I have. To all applicants, good luck and I looking forward to working with you all.

Cons

No dental and Vision coverage yet, but we are told its coming soon.

2. "client support"

Current Employee - Client Support in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Client Support in Great Neck, NY

I have been working at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good office, nice team, good location

Cons

every morning need to login using facial system to log late...

Advice to Management

I don't know mgmt., so no advice for mgmt. at this time.

Jan 4, 2017 – National Recruiter

Thank you for your candid review and feedback. Here at Reliance Star we enjoy hearing that the office and team create a great environment for you to come to everyday! We will continue to keep up the ... More

"A Huge Mistake"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Neck, NY

Pros

None whatsoever. N/A. Nada. Zilch. 0. Worthless, etc...

Cons

It was a huge mistake coming to work here. I have been in my profession for many years, and I have never seen a company like this. The owner wants to hire people with experience, people who have a track record of success, which all companies do, but this company is different. When I first started working here, the owner was very nice, would strike up conversations, then I noticed, the conversations are more to enlighten her on your past experiences and your know how. It became very clear, she just wants to obtain or rather steal your knowledge to make herself better. After a short period of time, the conversations and being nice to you start to slow down, and then stops completely. It became very clear, she just wanted to pick your brain, gain your knowledge to make herself better and doesn't care about you. As a matter of fact she then wants to get rid of you, you actually become a problem to her, she doesn't even want to look at you. The way she treats her employees is a disgrace, for example, don't even think about telling her about your medical illness if you have one. If she knows you have an illness or anything close to an illness or a medical condition, you will become her obsession. She will come up everything she possibly can to fire you. All of a sudden, you will be getting monthly and weekly reviews, I've seen it first hand. Well now I feel that she wants me out, but here's the thing, I want out. I cannot work here anymore, however, if she knows you want to leave or if she thinks you are looking for another job, she will fire you just so she can feel better, she has to win, I've seen her do it to other employees.

Advice to Management

There's no advice I can give, you feel you are great, you feel you are the best and there is absolutely nothing wrong with you. And this is your main problem, you need to take a step back and judge yourself instead of judging everyone else. As a matter of fact, you should be an auditor, or better yet, turn your company into an auditing company. You love to point out every little possible thing wrong with your employees.

Jan 12, 2017 – National Recruiter

Sorry to hear about your negative experience with Reliance Star. I would like to address your concerns with the company. First off, thank you for taking note that we are bringing in industry ... More

"Great Teamwork, Nice co-worker"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Great Neck, NY

I worked at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It has been a while I came back and review Reliance Star, thank you for the opportunity they gave me. As executive assistant, I work directly with CEO every single day. She is busy and efficient barely everyday. It is my pleasure that she is willing to work with me. Also, my team is very helpful, whenever I need help there were there, patient and nice.

Cons

I am very sorry to say that upper senior management really need the room to improve. Not only the way to deal with merchants, but also treat their team like family. Take responsibility and solve the problem. Not just depend on their people to help.

Advice to Management

Keep on what they doing, focus on "PEOPLE" as company culture, and make people stay and willing to help the company grows. Make people feel like "HOME".

Feb 24, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate that. We love that you have recognized how important our associates (our “PEOPLE”) are to us! The company has made great strides ... More

"Merchant Consultant"

Current Employee - Merchant Consultant in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Merchant Consultant in Great Neck, NY

Pros

As the personal issue, I have to end this great experience soon and go back my country. I am still grateful to thank Reliancestar to give me an excellent opportunity to improve my skill set and pursue my career goal in the couples months. Unfortunately, I cannot work here more cause I have to take over the business for my family oversea.

I wont forget my happy memories there, the co-workers are amazing , whatever which department they are belong to, they are instructor, friend, and family. You can be whoever you are in the diverse cultural workplace, People around you are open-mind and embrace just like what you expect. Additionally, Dont be afraid to speak out any question. there is no stupid question, you can ask whatever you want to learn and know, Apparently, there are always warmly regard and their insightful commend from one another. All in all, you watch and learn from experienced and kindly person, then thing turnsaround you, help others grow. In the end, keeping in touch my friends!

Cons

If i have to say something singularly to deal with as a salesman, is the industry has the strong competition. You have to be the tough-mined and you cannot lay down and get the food into your mouth by any possibility. Life is tough, you should be the tougher. whenever ready is ready, keeping in mind and keep going !

Advice to Management

Need more instruction for industrial sale training, especially for the beginning about the skill set and mind set. Bring the real sales involvement situation as soon as it can will result the better out although it is a number game.

Feb 24, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate that. And, yes… we know how hard it can be out there sometimes for sales pros. Thanks for your tenacity and perseverance! The ... More

"Thankful for not working here anymore."

Former Employee - Representative in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - Representative in Great Neck, NY

Pros

There really isn't anything good to say about this company, maybe except it was close to my home, had a very short commute. Furthermore, all of the good reviews posted on this site are fake. The 2 owners, who are husband and wife, ask their employees to post good reviews online about the company to compensate for the bad or rather true and accurate reviews.

Cons

This Thanksgiving, when I was asked for what I am thankful as my family and I sat for dinner, I said, I am thankful for not working at Reliance Star Payment Services anymore. My family looked at me in shock, in our times any job is or should be a good job, as long as a paycheck is coming in. However, Reliance Star Payment Services, was such a horrible place to work, I would rather be living on the street than be employed there. Yes, it is that horrible and I will tell you why. First and foremost, every great company has great leadership, but not here. The owners, have no sense of management whatsoever, do not talk and do not treat employees with any type of management skill. Employees don't even want to engage in any type of conversation with them, because it is only them talking, employees have to listen and agree with them. Because if we say anything truthful or that makes sense, they don't want to hear it, and feel that you are being negative and going against them. There are or rather there were a couple of managers, who have both left the company, because they know they were not needed. The owners micromanage the employees, expects them to work 12 hour days and when things go wrong, turnaround and blame the managers and the employees. We, as employees know the managers have no say or power in anyway nor anything. And we don't understand why they keep hiring managers.

It is a 6,000 sq. ft. office, I only know the exact size because the owners always brag about it all the time. So there are 50 cubicles total, with only 5 or 6 employees at any given time sitting in them! There is always talk about this coming growth that never happens. The owner, Fenella, tries to bring in new sales agents, but is mostly unsuccessful, and the few sales agents that join, usually leave after 3 to 4 weeks. Then she turns around and blames the employees for them leaving the company. We all look at each other and think, what did we do? We did our jobs, but here's why the sales agents always leaves, during the initial process of obtaining these sales agents to come on board, she lies to them with false promises. For example, stating we are a full service ISO, Reliance Star Payment Services is NOT a full service ISO. Everything is being handled by First Data, including the approval / decline of the merchant applications, the download files for the credit card machines/terminals, etc... So what does this mean, we just input the merchant application, wait for First Data to approve or decline it. If they do approve it, we input the terminal configuration details, then First Data completes the file build. So what does this really mean? Here are some examples, a sales agent calls in to check the status of the merchant application they sent in earlier, well we don't know yet, because for First Data hasn't approved it yet, nor have they gotten back to us to advise if additional details or documentation are required. Another example, if a merchant of ours wants to change some features on their credit card machine or terminal, our tech support reps have to call First Data, usually wait 15 to 25 minutes to speak to a rep who will make the necessary changes. This is NOT a full service ISO. Sales agents want answers and resolutions right away and do want to wait, nor merchants.

There are no benefits to working here, you have to wait after one year to actually get in anything. And when you do get it, it's so expensive for medical coverage and the rest of the benefits offered are not even worth mentioning. There are a lot more things I can go into, but I am just thankful not to be working there anymore. My advice to anyone looking for a job, don't even think about applying here, low pay and no kind of benefits, poor leadership, no direction, equals a company in decline.

Advice to Management

Well, advise to ownership. You know you have a mediocre company, with mediocre pay, so stop trying to pretend to be something you're not. Paying employees $26,000 a year just doesn't cut it. You will never retain talent with that kind of salary. All of your employees that are still working there are looking for another job, and once they find another one, they will leave, guaranteed.

Feb 24, 2016 – Recruiter

Sorry to hear that you had a negative experience while employed with Reliance Star Payment Services. Life is really too short and precious to be miserable at work. Hopefully your new ventures will ... More

7. "Great Company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Sales in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in Great Neck, NY

Pros

I have been working here for months now and everyone has been pleasant to work with. The office is professional and clean to work in. They provided me with more training as needed. They really want everyone to succeed and grow with the company. The company treats everyone like family. Company buys birthday cake for everyone to acknowledge together, we have quarterly outings last one was at adventure land, karaoke, and most recent movie night. I would recommend this company to anyone.

Cons

All positive about the company

Feb 24, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate that. It's wonderful to hear that you are having such a positive experience. We have made great strides in bringing on ... More

"Worst "company" ever (where the CEO and FOUNDER are married)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Great Neck, NY

I worked at Reliance Star Payment Services (Less than a year)

Pros

none, you will be shown a nice office space with zero employees. You will start to ask yourself how does this business operate with no sales force, and a fully functioning operations team. The CEO will immediately log on and create a fake positive review, you can tell by the incorrect language like using the word boosts, instead of boasts (does not know the difference). She is crass, makes racists and inappropriate comments daily to employees, with no regard for who is in ear shot.

Cons

The owners are married, which creates the worst possible working environment. The "founder"will solicit new hires acting as if he is the person who will be leading. Once convinced to come on board you meet the "CEO" wife who runs the show. This is done because she is such an turn off to potential new hires, she remains hidden to the near end of process. Worst experience of my professional career anyone who interviews head the warnings on this site and look at the reviews carefully, I would literally work at any other business then to every have to another interactions with the owners. A sales company with zero sales people

Advice to Management

start another venture yourselves so you stop destroying lives every time you have a whim. worst company, worst owners, worst experience one could have.

Jul 24, 2015 – Recruiter

Sorry to hear that you had a negative experience while employed with Reliance Star Payment Services. I do appreciate the time it took to write a review, so I wanted to also take some time to address ... More

"Place to Call Home"

Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Great Neck, NY
    Former Employee - Call Center Manager in Great Neck, NY

I worked at Reliance Star Payment Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As the Call Center Manager for Reliance Star I can honestly say I had nothing but positive experiences as an employee. The ownership team does an awesome job of fostering a "team-first" environment where employees at all levels are appreciated and their feedback is actively sought out by ownership. I was made to feel welcome from the first day and all of my colleagues were warm and friendly.

The truth is I have never posted a review of a past employer on glassdoor or any site like it mostly because I don't put a lot of stock into what seems to be mostly negative input from bitter ex-employees of any company. If you think about it, these sites can be a lot like product reviews. People are far more motivated to post negative reviews about a company that terminated them rather than positive experiences from a company they left voluntarily the same way people can't wait to post a negative review of a product but aren't as motivated to post something positive. Once I started with Reliance Star I did take the time to check out the glassdoor reviews for my company because I heard some of my co-workers mention they had seen some negativity surrounding our CEO Fenella Kim. There was a particular post saying something like "the CEO is a micro-manager" or something to that effect. The fact is that the CEO Fenella Kim is a results driven leader who expects employees and managers to use actions rather than words to move the company forward. In all my time at Reliance Star, I found Fenella to be anything but a micro-manager so I felt obligated to offer another perspective here on this site.

No owner or manager is perfect, but Fenella is a leader that genuinely puts her people first and that's not something I can say for every owner I've worked for. So if things were so good there, why did you leave you ask? I left Reliance Star only because my wife had been running our family business for the past seven years by herself and through hard work and good fortune we have expanded to the point where I need to come on board with our company full time. If that had not been the case, I am 100% certain Reliance Star is a place I would have been happy to call home for years and years to come.

My advice to you as a potential job seeker is to use your own judgement. You'll see all types of reviews about companies online. There are reviews like mine encouraging you to join this winning team and some others that are much less flattering. After you meet with the ownership and management team at Reliance Star I know you'll feel at home. Hopefully this helps those of you considering a career at Reliance Star. You'll be glad you came aboard!

Cons

If there was anything negative about Reliance Star, it was the traffic around the company headquarters and the parking! Reliance Star has several reserved spots in a lot adjacent to the building but with how fast the company is growing, those spots are gone by 9am! The traffic on Lakeville Rd is a nightmare day or night, but there are ways around the sidestreets from the LIE for those of you commuting from Eastern Nassau or Suffolk.

Advice to Management

My advice is to keep doing what you're doing. Continue to put employees first and continue to provide a superior service to your customers. Everything else works itself out!

Mar 22, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your support and wish you the best in all your future endeavors.

10. "Great Company to work For!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Great Neck, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Great Neck, NY

Pros

It's an honor to work with our CEO, Fenella Kim. She's brought this company from the infant stage to a very successful corporation and it's an honor to work for her.

Cons

No person or company is perfect but to watch and be a part of a growing company is a feather in my cap!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing; so far it's been an enjoyable ride here for me.

Mar 22, 2016 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate your support!!