Reliant Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Elizabeth Killinger

Pros
Cons
  • All I can say is please do not waste your time working for this company (in 2 reviews)

• Management needs to work on communication and how to level with their employees (in 2 reviews)

1. "Excellent way place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reliant Energy (More than 10 years)

Pros

Extensive, Give it a try

Cons

None at this point in time

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. "The WORST, don't bother!"

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

training salary for one week

Cons

This was the worst job I ever had, with incompetent bosses that get pleasure from firing people. Too many lies from management, the competition is heavy, with at least 30 other companies selling the same thing, only they are cheaper. Was on job for 2 weeks out of training and got fired for having no sales in an extremely over saturated, highly competitive market. Heard many complaints about Reliant being too high priced with poor service, and slamming customers from many of the 41 door knocks that I had to do each day. Managers checking up on you several times a day, and I had NO help from my manager , even after asking several times. Duplication of reports every day and week, with too much paperwork and constant texts to check up on you. Training sucked, my ride along day was a joke with a guy that could not open his car door from the inside and kept the window down on a 50 degree blustery day. Wish I never took this job. They did not give me a chance to find customers that were not already locked in for 2 to 5 years with other competitors and almost all of them told me that there were too many OTHER (Reliant ) sales people knocking on their doors EVERY day. They will hire too many people to cover a limited area and you will end up tripping over each other and competing against your own people. Don't waste your time, this is a turnstile people mill, get a job with a DECENT company with better quality people who have good character and brains.

Advice to Management

Stop the silliness and grow up.

3. "Okay place to work for..."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Nice schedule. Great people. Training is good. Can promote based on performance.

Cons

Very busy. Have to sell. Schedule based on performance.

5. "All money isn't good money"

Former Employee - Acquisitions Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Acquisitions Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Great incentives and pay; a lot of training

Cons

Basically wants you to lie to customers to get them to buy things that they didn't call in for; Was told to remember that the job is not a customer service job...although they are providing service to customers. Focus is all on out selling other employees. Had to ask people to buy items ( 3 or more) they didn't call in for, if they said no had to ask them two more times ( each product) and try to convince them that they needed the item.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to sell customers things that they don't really want just to grow your pockets.

6. "CSR/Web home agent"

Current Employee - Web in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Web in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reliant Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can really move around and up fast in the company. The bonuses are great. Company luncheons for to sales. Win passes for jeans, Monday through Friday.

Cons

You must work for staffing agency first, hard to get on permanent, 6 months for me so far. I wish they would hire permanent after 6 months to a year with all the people leaving. the point system isn't lenient, you get points for clocking in lunch late and a 4 min window at that for start shift and lunch. The points don't roll off until a year later. Old job 1 pt rolled off with perfect attendance for a month and annually

7. "tim"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Sachse, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Sachse, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company had potential in their financial outlook

Cons

There was no training for the sales consultants

Advice to Management

Hire Sales trainers and develop your employees

8. "Customer Service Representative"

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Reliant offered full training, incentive checks & lots of perks.

Cons

If you are not good at sales you may want to reconsider.

Advice to Management

More training in sales tactics & less on scripts.

9. "SAS Programmer"

Current Employee - SAS Programmer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - SAS Programmer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reliant Energy (More than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Very good place to work so no complaints

"It was good at the beginning... Until the environment and supervisors become very hostile."

Former Employee - Bilingual Credit Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Bilingual Credit Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My overtime pay was $28.88
    I liked the people I met there that were hired along with me. The fraud investigation research is fun, the other half... (Speaking to the customer about it) is absolutely draining and awful. Once you start doing it every day for weeks on end, don't be surprised if you don't want to work here anymore. Everyone I went in with hated working here.

Cons

Literally from the first week to the very last, I was doing overtime for the company. This continued for the entirety of the contract position. The overtime pay is what makes it worth working there; still, it's a double edged sword. The group I went in with (about 8 of us) were hired after 5 people quit all at once. You're timed for every single issue and they do not like to see you leave your desk even if it's to get a cup of coffee or to pee. It's super micromanaged and we weren't allowed to speak to our coworkers that were literally a yard away, at all during the day. There's a lot more I could say, but it's too much to type. They're constantly looking for a reason not to like you, it's all office politics there and if you're thinking this is an entry level job that will lead to getting into the company, you're wrong. They only renew contracts.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of Human Resource laws being broken. I counted 8. I recognized it instantly along with one other coworkers because she and I both studied HR and she was an HR Generalist. If you care about that at all, you may want to take a look at your downtown Houston location.

"Nothing is perfect"

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Reliant Energy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great structure and foundation. Good benefits. Many opportunities.

Cons

Nepotism is not supposed to exist, but it really does. When some one on an upper level does not like you, your hard work is enough to keep you job.

Advice to Management

Dissect the management pyramid. Employees want leaders that they can trust and be guided by, not managers that micromanage you and not explain or guide you to the goal and do not appreciate you when you meet or many times exceed that goal.