Reliant Energy Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Elizabeth Killinger

Pros
Cons
  • All I can say is please do not waste your time working for this company (in 2 reviews)

• Management needs to work on communication and how to level with their employees (in 2 reviews)

1. "The WORST, don't bother!"

Former Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Corpus Christi, TX
    Former Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Corpus Christi, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

training salary for one week

Cons

This was the worst job I ever had, with incompetent bosses that get pleasure from firing people. Too many lies from management, the competition is heavy, with at least 30 other companies selling the same thing, only they are cheaper. Was on job for 2 weeks out of training and got fired for having no sales in an extremely over saturated, highly competitive market. Heard many complaints about Reliant being too high priced with poor service, and slamming customers from many of the 41 door knocks that I had to do each day. Managers checking up on you several times a day, and I had NO help from my manager , even after asking several times. Duplication of reports every day and week, with too much paperwork and constant texts to check up on you. Training sucked, my ride along day was a joke with a guy that could not open his car door from the inside and kept the window down on a 50 degree blustery day. Wish I never took this job. They did not give me a chance to find customers that were not already locked in for 2 to 5 years with other competitors and almost all of them told me that there were too many OTHER (Reliant ) sales people knocking on their doors EVERY day. They will hire too many people to cover a limited area and you will end up tripping over each other and competing against your own people. Don't waste your time, this is a turnstile people mill, get a job with a DECENT company with better quality people who have good character and brains.

Advice to Management

Stop the silliness and grow up.

2. "tim"

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Sachse, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Sachse, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company had potential in their financial outlook

Cons

There was no training for the sales consultants

Advice to Management

Hire Sales trainers and develop your employees

"Business Services"

Former Employee - Business Servicez Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Servicez Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time

Pros

The people you work with(your peers) are awesome.You become a close nit group.

Cons

There is is not enough space in this box to express how feel about this company. The management staff lack of knowledge of what it takes to run the company that is why they were bought out by NRG they have no clue as to what the customers need. If you give 110% of his company you will be come with called a rate buster and you will never be promoted because the supervisors management staff lack the ability to create a replacement equivalent to your skill set. Supervisors are lazy vindictive it is a gossip field environment as most call centers usually are because they are embedded with a bunch of women. If you just need a steady paycheck please go find it elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Hey people what they are worth from other people that actually have the talent and the wherewithal to do the job. Hire supervisors who are not able to do the job. Put your pettiness aside and promote the people who are fit to do the job instead of your personal differences

5. "Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Business Analyst/Consultant in Rockwall, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst/Consultant in Rockwall, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy (Less than a year)

Pros

None. This company is a disaster

Cons

All cons, management is terrible. They harass you constantly with texts and phone calls. You are threatened with your job on a weekly basis.

"Contract work rates high - moral is low"

Former Contractor - Previous Contract Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Previous Contract Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Having a job for however long, which varies.

Cons

Contract work can last from 1 - 6 yrs. Disorganized leadership and training. Low pay, health benefits are high. Too much overtime due to inadequate management.

Advice to Management

Smoke and mirrors do not work when the team depends on reliability and the truth. Biased in choosing people when permanent opportunities become available. Management ~ you need to learn how to discipline and properly supervisor your team. Get the trouble makers out.

7. "Door to door sales"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good motivation skills just not for me

Cons

Lied about the pay, lied about training and was very rude

Advice to Management

Stick with ur word

"Incompetent Marketing Department"

Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reliant Energy is a great place to work — for the paycheck. The company pays their employees about 15% more than other companies, which is easy since they charge their customers about 15% more for their electricity.

Cons

The leadership simply does not know what they are doing which makes them incredibly insecure around the few employees that do. The marketing department is run by a gaggle of mean women who confuse “girl power” with a “good ol’ girl” mindset that makes for a dysfunctional sorority. Leadership only hires and promote their friends, regardless of their level of competence or experience.

Advice to Management

Move the Marketing/ Communications department to Princeton and hire either an agency or team with proven experience. How many more customers does Reliant Energy have to lose before NRG makes a change?

"Don't waste your time !"

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I got a free nest thermostat : )

Cons

This is a MUST READ if you're considering being a sales agent for Reliant Energy/Tecomax !
    You're literally hired on the spot but don't be deceived , most don't stay . We had a hired class of about 49 people and maybe only one or two stayed .
    Here's why . Your day starts at 8am . Then you spend an hour or so listening to the millionaires of the company talk of their financial success . Then you sit around the office trying to hype each other up until about 1pm . From there you go to your territory . You're dropped off in a neighborhood from 1:30 to around 9:00 pm knocking the same doors over and over . While you're knocking doors your supervisors spend the day in their cars eating and staying out of the elements . Even if you have an emergency and have to leave they will not come get you . They say the ones that are successful endure it . That's your day .
    Also don't be deceived by the pay ! It's NOT $100 a deal the way they say . It starts at $80 a deal BUT the regional managers cut is also taken from that so you start at $60 a deal .
    Only the higher ups profit that's why they hire in volume knowing most won't stay

Advice to Management

Wise up . Be honest with new hires

"sad - safe yourself a headache"

Former Contractor - Special Projects Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Special Projects Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Reliant Energy as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good about this place.

Cons

The managers, supervisors, coaches, and team leaders are all political. If they don't like you, they will get rid of you. All I can say is please do not waste your time working for this company. They will keep you in the same position for years and not offer you a promotion if they don't like you. I was one of the top salespersons here at this company. I went to luncheons, I won prizes, and all of my co-workers marveled at my performance, and when I moved to my new department my work was often structured, hidden, or deleted. I complained about it to my coach, and her reply was, "What do you want me to do?" My work badge to gain access into the building was deactivated more than once prior to my knowledge causing me to be locked in a hot stinky stairwell. I had to walk up like 5 flights of stairs to gain access back to my floor. By this time, I was sweaty and frustrated. Then, I would get back to my work station and receive an email saying that my badge was deactivated after the fact. When I told my coach that my badge was deactivated causing me wackiness to my morning, she laughed. On top of it all, they will find reasons to not pay you your incentive checks. On my last day of working there, after my supervisor told me I wasn't getting my incentive, she laughed hysterically all morning until the lady from Primary came and escorted me out of the building. I asked her why I was being let go, she said, unprofessionalism. When I applied for unemployment benefits, Reliant had told the unemployment people that I caused a scene, cursed out loud, and that's why they fired me. This is a bold face stupid lie. I didn't curse anyone out or use profanity. Not only will they lie to get what they want, but they will make up stories to hinder you from getting unemployment. Do not waste your time with these jokers. They will make your life a living hell. I constantly suffered from higher blood pressure than normal while working here and they only want to pay you pennies.

Advice to Management

Be upfront and straight up with your employees. Lies are dangerous and could potentially make a situation worse. Treat everyone the same. If you are going to give one employee VRH(voluntary reduced hours) to prevent them from getting attendance points, do it for the next one. Listen! Listen! Listen! Lies are no way to solve an issue.

"Door to Door Sales"

I worked at Reliant Energy full-time

Pros

Ability to make money off of every sale and the option to divert from the group and pick your own neighborhoods to scout and sell to.

Cons

Management needs to work on communication and how to level with their employees. It can also be unsafe walking around neighborhoods late at night and waiting for team leaders to pick you up.

Advice to Management

Training needs to be more thorough when it comes to the financial part of training, employees need a more firm grasp on what plan would work best for each applicant we are trying to sell to.