Remedy Health Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Cunnion

"Lots of good but overwhelmed by the bad"

Former Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA

I worked at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generally every one tries and talks about doing the right thing for the team and the investors. However the reality is the actions are self serving, politic and in some instances unethical (exhibit A: traffic buys to deliver on programs that were sold based on organic traffic promises)

Cons

If you are interested in creating great content or building good products this is not the place for you. If you are intrested in delivering sales at any cost (including long term damage) then you will love it here. Nothing here is done with a long term view. They want to be bought out.
    There are lots of politics. People get burned. Push hard for the salary you want. Don't settle. You will get it.
    The most unethical head of sales I have ever met essentially runs the company. Yep you will love it for sure.

"Management in Shambles"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours and depending upon your group you can get flexible work from home time.

Cons

- Huge financial issues worry employees that we could be out of business any day.
    - No true HR to report issues to.
    - No communication to the employees.
    - Managers/Execs are never in the office. Only the junior people are expected to come in.
    - Editorial has no mission and content is terrible except on The Body and The Body Pro
    - Pay is lower than the competition. Raises are rare and tiny. No bonuses.
    - There is no room for growth.
    - Board members, especially one who is in the office daily, lead the company down terrible paths (print). He insisted upon hiring his friend/fellow investor to "work" for the company aka delegate terrible ideas that lost LOTS of money, while his friend raked in a considerable paycheck and others went without raises and bonuses.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. Treat employees with respect and equality.
    - Communicate with your staff.
    - Tell them about additional vacation time and PTO in advance so they can plan, not a week before. It's not a perk if you can't use it.
    - Hire a professional HR person who employees can handle issues professionally.
    - Hold managers accountable to actually come in and work.
    - Get the financials in order. How this even got so bad under your watch is wild and concerning.
    - Establish culture with execs and values that you intend to uphold yourself.

May 9, 2017 – Executive Assistant

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Negative feedback is always difficult to hear but it is important and provides an opportunity to examine ourselves and get better. We would welcome ... More

"With Focus comes Success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Passionate employees that care about the mission. Transparent and approachable executive team. A desire to have an impact and help people live healthier.

Cons

The next shiny thing can be a distraction. Focusing on big efforts have led to huge successes. When the company's efforts get split too many ways, is when things can go awry.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on the important few efforts. Continue to invest in technology and editorial.
    Finally, continue to see Remedy as having a different and higher standard that others in the industry.

"Remedy nurtures and challenges"

Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I'm in my second year with RHM, and it has been a delight from day one. They took my existing skills and asked where I'd like to go with them, providing countless opportunities to learn, grow, and contribute. They are quick to reward and encourage, and criticism is always given in a constructive way. There is a growing symbiosis among the Remedy brands. The appreciation of the employees is something I haven't seen before - everyone is valued. My CEO knew my name and about me since day two, and has never failed to greet me in the hallway. Great team building events that encourage a healthy lifestyle and office pride. The work/home balance is incredible: WFH days and flexible schedules that encourage hard work and company spirit. I'm constantly in touch with my managers and am often checked on and given necessary feedback. It's easy to accomplish large projects - if you're willing to be creative and work hard, they're willing to help make your vision a reality.

Cons

There needs to be better communications between departments. And that's truly the only con, if you can call it that.

Advice to Management

Continue putting value and encouragement into your staff! They notice and appreciate it!

"Too Many Senior VPs"

Current Employee - Producer in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Producer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people, flexible hours, good work - life balance, and passionate mission.

Cons

The salaries are very very low...little to no opportunity for promotion or growth and doing the job of 5 other people with zero respect for doing it.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and promoting the same people to Senior Vice President and invest in strong employees that can actually do the work. Also, follow through with consistent reviews, and bonuses when they are promised.

Jun 25, 2015 – Director, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. Your concerns are very important to us and we would like to address them further. If you are interested in discussing further, please reach out ... More

"New York Office is like Dilbert"

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time

Pros

Pretty decent mission (helping others be healthy), at least on paper. A lot of smart people in staff positions and middle management.

Cons

Uninspiring management, for the most part. Awful cubicle set up, with endless rows of cubicles. HR is a mess, with promised reviews never materializing. Disorganization and poor communication rampant. Top-heavy organization, with a bunch of VPs and directors running around, and not enough help in the trenches. Morale in NY office pretty bad, overall, with a lot of paranoia.

Advice to Management

Don't promise what you're not going to deliver. Ditch some of the top people and devote resources to staffing up.

"Couldn't ask for a better place to work"

Current Employee - Web Producer in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is positive, relaxed and fun, but senior management also takes work seriously and holds high standards and encourages career growth. As an employee in the editorial department, I am given the flexibility to produce a wide range of content, with the goal of making a real difference in people's lives. I believe that working for Remedy Health Media provides me with the opportunity to grow and expand my skill set, which will benefit both me individually and the company as a whole in the long run.

Cons

There is room for improvement when it comes to team building and setting and attaining department goals. I have not been employed here long enough to speak to compensation changes, but I hope that there will be room for growth in that area.

Feb 2, 2015 – CTO

Thanks for the feedback. We enforced departmental goals for the 2nd half of last year and will continue to improve the process. At the same time, our overall goals and focus have become more ... More

"Meaningful work, fun culture, wonderful people"

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time

Pros

-Meaningful work that literally changes peoples' lives
    -Innovative multimedia projects
    -Creative brainstorming
    -Management is always open to new ideas and feedback
    -Opportunity to really grow as a writer and editor
    -Fun, vibrant culture: ping pong, happy hours, birthday celebrations
    -People are genuinely nice and care about their work

Cons

-Would like to get more input from management sometimes
    -Could use more communication across departments

"Love the culture"

Former Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA

I worked at Remedy Health Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No politics. Lots of positive support. Solid benefits. Good management. Exciting projects and products, very smart people. Lots of room for advancement for the ambitious. A career making kind of place.

Cons

Has a startup feel but I see it as a positive. No formalized corporate policies but that allows you to do it your way often. Budget is extremely tight but they know how to treat people right.

Advice to Management

You are great. Keep it up. You do make a difference.

"Mission-Oriented Organization!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Remedy Health Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented people, mission-oriented organization, great leadership and a collaborative culture. This is a great place to work and I'd highly recommend it to others.

Employees feel galvanized by the mission of empowering individuals to take control of their health. The organization is evolving from its publisher background to a digital media and healthcare technology organization.

Cons

This might not be the right place for everyone. It's important that individuals have a passion for the mission. It's also a collaborative environment with limited organizational hierarchy, so those driven by org chart advancement will likely be disappointed.