Remilon Reviews | Glassdoor

Remilon Reviews

Updated September 1, 2017

Adrian Ridner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Online course developer / instructor"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Remilon as a contractor

Pros

This was a great way to get back into the education field at a time in my life when I couldn't commit to a full-time job. It greatly improved my confidence in my profession and I got to work with a lot of really talented people. I'm very proud of the work I did at this company.

Cons

When I started working, Remilon was creating free online courses to make college education more accessible; this work was advertised as a philanthropic endeavor and I didn't feel bad earning $125 per lesson, even though each one took about 10 hours. Later though, they switched to a subscription model in which customers have to pay $40 a month to access all of the content. This means that I can't even watch my own videos anymore. I can't show them to my friends and family because it costs money. I have well over 2 million views total from all of the work I did, and I don't even want to think about how much money Remilon has made off of my work. I already signed all my rights away, so there's nothing to do about it. But it would be nice if they would reach out and be like… "Hey here's $1000 Thank You money since we duped you and made a killing off the work you did under the guise of philanthropy." It just sucks that I have to view this company with such bitterness after being so proud of the work I did with them.

Advice to Management

If you're going to change the game and take advantage of your contract employees, maybe do something nice for them, like grant them access to their own content?

2. "Job Overview--Lesson Writer"

Current Contractor - Online Lesson Writer in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Online Lesson Writer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Remilon as a contractor

Pros

Flexible schedule where you can write lessons at your own pace. This position is ideal for working remotely, or for a side job. Staff is enthusiastic and helpful. Varied lesson topics mean that you often learn about topics while you're also teaching them.

Cons

Some lessons can become very time consuming, because of the subjectivity of different lesson reviewers. For instance, some reviewers might like certain writing styles and visual aids, while others do not. This leads to ambiguities in the lesson writing process, which hampers overall efficiency and confidence.

"Low pay"

Current Contractor - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Remilon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours
    Work from home
    Editors are always helpful

Cons

I get paid less than minimum wage for a job that seems to require advanced expertise. As a remote content writer, I work from home and am expected to follow detailed guidelines to write and edit articles....however, editors all seem to have additional guidelines of their own, which are explained once articles are evaluated. This would be a decent work from home position if the pay was in line with the quality that is expected. I have worked for this company for more than a year, but at this point, it is not even really worth my time anymore.

Though guidelines say that writers have some control over their work, we really don't. New guidelines and recent company reorganization is meant (I think) to make independent contractors more in compliance with the "having control over one's work" aspect of being a 1099 employee, but editors still seem to think they can script each article, practically word-for-word.

Overall, this job was a good stepping stone for me to get some remote work experience (this was my first work-from-home job), But low pay, lack of byline, 1099 status, no benefits, and picky picky picky editors make this job more trouble than it's worth.

In-house staff seems to be better paid and pretty happy with their jobs though.....Maybe because they get paid a decent wage, have benefits, get to take credit for the content on the site (which is mainly written and edited by peons like me), and have control over their work?

Advice to Management

$8/hour is unacceptable for a job that requires (or "prefers") a masters degree. Pay your writers better, get in compliance with 1099 employee guidelines.

4. "Easy way to make (very little) extra cash, but you are certainly expendable."

Former Contractor - Instructor/Expert
    Former Contractor - Instructor/Expert

I worked at Remilon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It's flexible. You can work when you want and choose how much work to take. The content they ask for is not very difficult to produce and can be done in free time.

Cons

The money isn't always worth it - you don't get any credit or much to put on a resume that would normally perq up a job like this. It feels kind of slimy too.

Advice to Management

Compensation could be a little better, or at least could improve along with work performance. Some of the content is very rough or incomplete. It's hard to take seriously as an education tool when so many corners are cut.

"Less of a start-up, more of an established "Mom and Pop" Company"

I worked at Remilon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, a good work environment, and definitely on the more "organized" side for a company its size. The work culture isn't as aggressive and hectic as a typical start up, because in most respects, it isn't a start up - it's privately funded, and has been around for the better part of 10 years in some form or the other.

That being said, it has some of the benefits of working for older, more established companies. For a company its size, it provides a 401k with matching, something you don't always see in early stage start ups of the same size. Operationally it is well managed. Many startups, upon receiving funding, go through a hiring glut and end up hiring a lot of people who are charmed by the prospect of working for something that might hit it big, but can't pull their weight and don't end up doing a lot of work. Over here, if you don't perform, you won't last very long. Working from home isn't really an option here since if you're an engineer they give you a Desktop PC. That's not always a good thing, but it does mean that you come to work to a full office with everyone present on any given day.

Cons

Because it is privately funded, it's growth prospects are stunted. It doesn't have the risk or capital to go on a growth spree, and the compensation you get as an employee is FAR below the competitive rates in Silicon Valley (probably only 60-70% of competitive rates), especially if you're a software engineer. By the looks of it, management doesn't have any plans to change that anytime soon.

If you're truly looking for an opportunity to be part of a growth-driven, VC-backed startup with capital and the appetite to take risks and truly make it big with a short turn-around time, don't look here. There is no equity, and the company, while it is "growing" in a sense of the word, looks like a snail next to its VC backed neighbors. Because the compensation is so low, good hires don't stick around for long - they go work elsewhere where the compensation is higher. People who stick around either don't have anywhere else to go, or are fiercely loyal to the founders.

The slower pace of work here means that the opportunities for learning and personal growth are not on par with its VC-backed peers. While you are expected to perform in your job function, you don't always feel the pressure of the competition or the outside world moving at a lightning fast pace. All in all, people who work here are more the "content where I am" types and not the stereotypical go-getters that call Silicon Valley their home.

Advice to Management

Try not to fall into a rut when you're comfortable with the way things are going. Take some more risks to better bolster growth. Give employees a better sense of vision and perspective about the competition in the space and the steps needed to take the company to the next level.

"Good opportunity for entry-level writers"

Current Contractor - Contract Writer
    Current Contractor - Contract Writer

I have been working at Remilon as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The hours are flexible, the work is steady and the senior editors are great.

Cons

Training is disorganized. Editors aren't on the same page. Some editors aren't familiar with the guidelines. One editor will mark you off for not doing something, then the next editor will mark you off for doing it.

The pay is crap, and there's not set time for reviews and raises.

7. "Online content writing - considering the job is pretty boring, the company at least makes it bearable."

Current Employee - Content Writer
    Current Employee - Content Writer

I have been working at Remilon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good editor feedback, flexible scheduling, work on your own hours, paid hourly rather than by the article

Cons

Pay is low, no feedback about how you're doing except from your editorial scores i.e. no indication of when you might get a raise or promotion

Advice to Management

More personalized feedback would be great. It'd be nice to know from my senior editor or guidance editor how they think I'm doing and what I could personally improve upon. I think that would make employees feel less invisible.

"I'm a writer"

Current Contractor - Writer
    Current Contractor - Writer

I have been working at Remilon as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great atmosphere. All the editors and writers are great. Easy, flexible hours with little supervision. Great resume fodder (I've been there three years and have published 1,000+ articles--big numbers look good on your CV).

Cons

Pretty rigorous guidelines. Low pay, but frequent raises when you first start.

Advice to Management

Pay more.