Remilon Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Adrian Ridner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great People and a Solid Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Remilon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is young, full of energy and very successful. A lot of time is spent trying to make it a great place work. The workforce is extremely talented and going to work everyday is not the typical drag, as is the case with many other spots in the Valley. They take an interest in the development of their employees and provide many avenues to increase your skill level. Location in DT Mtn. View is awesome.

The culture supports a lot of very different types of people and seems to integrate them well. TH Drink cart, Weekly Happy Hours, Weekly Catered Lunch, Free Snacks and quarterly special events are a lot of fun!

Cons

More of a focus should be paid to insure that employees see a medium/long term pathway for them and how they fit into the grander strategy and plan of the company.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with your employees (they can handle it).

2. "Unlimited opportunities, fantastic people and great environment!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Remilon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Because Remilon is a small company (with a small number of employees), everyone is able to do many things and participate in tons of cross-functional work. I have never felt limited in my position and if anything feel compelled to constantly challenge what I am working on to find new and innovative ways to do things. Remilon also works very hard to create a positive working environment which includes tons of employee perks (great pay, competitive bonus plan, happy hour, stocked kitchen, team event sponsorship, awesome employee gear, etc). Another great thing about working at Remilon is the people. When I have to go to work for most of my day, I would prefer to be surrounded by people that I enjoy, look up to and appreciate -- you really get all of those things here.

Cons

Small company means more limited resources (not in terms of cash), but in terms of headcount. The company really pride themselves on hiring exceptional talent, which is great, but definitely takes longer to find new additions to the teams. The openings are there to hire people, just finding the right people is a challenge.

"Innovative and supportive company that with an inspiring mission"

I have been working at Remilon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The combination of smart, engaged employees and an inspiring mission to make education accessible makes Remilon a great place to work. I enjoy going to work every day. The company is small but successful, meaning there is lots of room for employees to grow and gain new skills. Since the company is so small, all employees have a tangible impact on the company's success. The company supports professional development and sponsors skill and career workshops and also offers tuition reimbursement. The leaders are highly accessible and supportive and foster a collaborative environment with lively but respectful discussion and debate.

Cons

Because Remilon has grown so quickly, the company is experiencing some growing pains. We're currently ironing out development and cross-team communication processes to help projects run more smoothly.

Advice to Management

Continue being hands-on and supportive and introducing big, revolutionary ideas that will disrupt higher education.

"Exceptional Talent and Company"

I have been working at Remilon full-time

Pros

The number one strength is definitely the people that make up the team at Remilon. The company has some of the best, brightest, motivated, ambitious, fun people that I have ever worked with. I can honestly say that I learn something every day at Remilon. This brings me to another great thing about Remilon, the opportunity for continuous growth and development. Reading some of the other reviews, I feel compelled to say that I have grown more in the last 1+ years than I have my entire career. The comment that there is a lack of opportunity for growth and learning are just completely inaccurate. In fact, it’s quite the opposite - should you start out in one position and end up having interest in another you are encouraged to speak up and start cross-functionally learning. In my time at Remilon, I have seen quite a few people move into new opportunities within the company (because of their interests). That is hard to do in such a small company. I was shocked to see someone write about favoritism at Remilon. This is something I have never seen here at Remilon. I would say that if you work at Remilon and think you are going to just get by, it’s not going to work out well for you. The management staff doesn’t hang onto low performers, which I consider great. Usually low performers aren’t having intriguing conversations with leaders and senior management because they just can’t or don’t care enough. This company and its people have heart and if you are just around to collect a paycheck – you probably should find another place to work.

With regards to compensation and benefits, I will agree with some previous comments that salary was at one time lower than others, however, over the last year, Remilon has made considerable efforts to remedy that so that they can keep great talent. I have, personally, received over 30% of a salary increase over the last year. I don't believe it was ever the intention of senior management or the owners to poorly pay their team - it was definitely because of a huge shift in demand in the tech market. As soon as they realized what the market was demanding they made significant changes. I spoke with many of my fellow team members, mostly engineers, and they mentioned that they also saw significant increases and were beyond happy about them. Other benefits and perks -- well I might be here for a while... they provide 100% paid for medical, dental and vision; 401(k) w/a 4% match, 20-30 PTO days (depending on years of service), 10 vacation days, a few different gym options (including Planet Granite, which I happen to thoroughly enjoy). Not to mention the happy hours, catered lunches, full kitchen with food and drinks and awesome beer fridge!

Cons

The company doesn’t currently offer equity, which is definitely something they are lacking in comparison to other companies in the surrounding areas. However, Remilon isn’t a startup, they don’t even call themselves a startup, and if anything they consider themselves having a startup-like atmosphere. They have been in business for over 10 years, have no outside funding and have been profitable every single year since the beginning… doesn’t sound too bad for me. Guaranteed paycheck vs. stock that may not be worth the paper it’s printed on… tough. Honestly, their very generous bonus plan more than makes up where the stock lacks. I won’t lie, I would definitely take stock if they were handing it out.

Remilon does have a young, energetic workforce and definitely there are times when maturity is lacking. I would say that over the last couple of years, the team has grown up and the company has done a great job of hiring a few more experienced and mature team members. Either way – we have a ton of fun together!

Advice to Management

Continue taking care of your employees and they will continue to do excellent work for Remilon. I know that I greatly appreciate all of the generous perks.

5. "Excellent company, mission, and colleagues"

Pros

I've worked for this company for quite some time. The colleagues are fantastic and everyone really works together to get the job done and get it done right.

I think this company is far superior in terms of educational content compared to the Khan Academy because the instructors and video editors try to make difficult subjects light and engaging without sacrificing knowledge. I have the biggest respect for The Khan Academy but their lessons are dry and essentially a repeat of the text you read in school.

Education Portal (Remilon's flagship) strives to give people the same knowledge as your book/text from school but in a much lighter and more accessible manner which regular textbooks do not provide for very well. That's why I enjoy working for them.

Not to mention, I've been given plenty of freedom to make all of that happen and plenty of support for my work which I take great care in making.

Finally, I'm really big on keeping students out of debt and this place makes FREE content to help students pass credit based exams without having them spend loads of money on tuition and books. I wish this kind of service was around before I entered college.

Cons

I wish I was given a bigger ("over-arching") role in terms of ensuring higher quality output across content areas but also understand the company may not "be there" quiet yet to allow for such a role or I just may not be good enough, so it's not so much a con and just an observation and wish.

Advice to Management

I think this company is on the right track and may soon be something much bigger than it is now.

6. "Smartest group I have ever worked with"

Current Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Remilon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright group of people who strive to get things done and are fun to work with
    Ability to have a large impact at the company
    Traffic and revenue continue to grow every year
    We continue to make strides towards making education more accessible

Cons

Management's excitement and passion for the product can limit creativity

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! You have an extremely talented workforce, so continue to make sure you listen to them and allow them to produce.

7. "It has its flaws, but Remilon is a great place to work"

I have been working at Remilon full-time

Pros

Remilon offers some unique perks and opportunities:

* The company itself is doing very well and is constantly growing / expanding
    * Happy hour on fridays, drink cart on Thursdays, fully stocked kitchen
    * Most fridays you can work on whatever you want
    * (Most) coworkers are very smart, very motivated people that are easy to work with
    * You have the choice on what projects you want to work on
    * You get to work on new and exciting technologies
    * Competitive salary and benefits
    * Still has that startup feel without the startup worries.

Unlike many other companies, Remilon lacks a lot of red tape and welcomes new ideas to make things run more smoothly.

Cons

Not really a con, but Remilon is for smart, hard-working people who like working with other, similar people. For newbies, you will need to work very hard to get up to speed quickly, or you will likely drown.

The company is still young, and there's still a ways to go with regards to infrastructure and processes (qa, working from home, team management, etc.).

The workforce at Remilon is also very young (many straight out of college). At time there can be a distinct lack of maturity and social graces.

Advice to Management

Upper management feels "disconnected" from the rest of the company. They will bark ideas and values from above, but they do not take the time to really connect with their employees and convince them to get on board. My manager rarely provides feedback or guidance, and what feedback is given can sometimes feel rushed and/or contrived.

8. "Good Place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chesapeake, VA

Pros

Very good and receptive. They are also very easy going and allow you to develop on your own without restriction of freedom.

Cons

No cons per se but they need to improve on their service delivery and ensure that the remuneration is befitting enough.

Advice to Management

They need to improve on their service delivery and ensure that the remuneration is befitting enough.

"Less of a start-up, more of an established "Mom and Pop" Company"

I worked at Remilon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly coworkers, a good work environment, and definitely on the more "organized" side for a company its size. The work culture isn't as aggressive and hectic as a typical start up, because in most respects, it isn't a start up - it's privately funded, and has been around for the better part of 10 years in some form or the other.

That being said, it has some of the benefits of working for older, more established companies. For a company its size, it provides a 401k with matching, something you don't always see in early stage start ups of the same size. Operationally it is well managed. Many startups, upon receiving funding, go through a hiring glut and end up hiring a lot of people who are charmed by the prospect of working for something that might hit it big, but can't pull their weight and don't end up doing a lot of work. Over here, if you don't perform, you won't last very long. Working from home isn't really an option here since if you're an engineer they give you a Desktop PC. That's not always a good thing, but it does mean that you come to work to a full office with everyone present on any given day.

Cons

Because it is privately funded, it's growth prospects are stunted. It doesn't have the risk or capital to go on a growth spree, and the compensation you get as an employee is FAR below the competitive rates in Silicon Valley (probably only 60-70% of competitive rates), especially if you're a software engineer. By the looks of it, management doesn't have any plans to change that anytime soon.

If you're truly looking for an opportunity to be part of a growth-driven, VC-backed startup with capital and the appetite to take risks and truly make it big with a short turn-around time, don't look here. There is no equity, and the company, while it is "growing" in a sense of the word, looks like a snail next to its VC backed neighbors. Because the compensation is so low, good hires don't stick around for long - they go work elsewhere where the compensation is higher. People who stick around either don't have anywhere else to go, or are fiercely loyal to the founders.

The slower pace of work here means that the opportunities for learning and personal growth are not on par with its VC-backed peers. While you are expected to perform in your job function, you don't always feel the pressure of the competition or the outside world moving at a lightning fast pace. All in all, people who work here are more the "content where I am" types and not the stereotypical go-getters that call Silicon Valley their home.

Advice to Management

Try not to fall into a rut when you're comfortable with the way things are going. Take some more risks to better bolster growth. Give employees a better sense of vision and perspective about the competition in the space and the steps needed to take the company to the next level.

10. "Online content writing - considering the job is pretty boring, the company at least makes it bearable."

Current Employee - Content Writer
    Current Employee - Content Writer

I have been working at Remilon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good editor feedback, flexible scheduling, work on your own hours, paid hourly rather than by the article

Cons

Pay is low, no feedback about how you're doing except from your editorial scores i.e. no indication of when you might get a raise or promotion

Advice to Management

More personalized feedback would be great. It'd be nice to know from my senior editor or guidance editor how they think I'm doing and what I could personally improve upon. I think that would make employees feel less invisible.