ReminderMedia Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 13, 2019

4.0
Steven Acree

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good culture and good work environment" (in 11 reviews)

• "I met so many great people at this company" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not much respect, at all, for a work/life balance" (in 3 reviews)

• "Hours upon hours of endless data entry and senseless 30 second phone calls to Real Estate offices" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Sales"

I worked at ReminderMedia full-time

Pros

You can make a lot of money here and everyone is very helpful.

Cons

I really cannot think of any... I disliked the morning meetings, but that’s a terrible con because they’re there to help refine people’s skills.

2. "Lots of growth, some micro management"

I have been working at ReminderMedia full-time

Pros

Values their clients, growing so plenty of growth opportunities

Cons

Some micromanagement causing good talent to be under appreciated and goes to waste

3. "Company culture cant be beat"

Former Employee - Business Operations Intern
    Former Employee - Business Operations Intern

Pros

-Company culture
    -Room for growth
    -Availability of managers and networking within the company

Cons

-As an intern, the pay is not great

"I have to defend how great this company truly is"

Current Employee - Sales in Bala-Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Sales in Bala-Cynwyd, PA

I have been working at ReminderMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A work environment (that for the first time in 10 years) where I truly feel my thoughts and suggestions are not only listened to, but also given a platform. The Owner, and his family are active employees who often partake in office day-to-day (go to trade shows, work in recruiting, are active on the sales floor, offer direct lines of communication to them from any dept) despite how large of a company we are, they want all of us to feel like we are part of the "reminder media family". Our lunches are 1 hour long, they provide birthday cake for employees, daily snacks, beer cart friday's, yogurt parfait days, pretzel days, bagels, pizzas, redbulls (thank god)and the holiday party was like going to your rich cousins wedding (truly amazing), the training doesn't stop after you're on boarded, I've been here for 8 months and I still receive coaching from my team lead, and can go to any member of my team (in Bala or KOP) and receive advice. They really want you to succeed and after you (yes you should probably do this) memorize the framework/script on exactly what we are selling, you tailor it to your liking and personality and you will, just like me, succeed and find your voice. If you're not too keen on sales and there is a different position opened in a different dept, you can always interview and move. They want you to stay with the company and find a spot that fits you best.

TLDR; the culture is awesome, you get compensated based off the work you put into it (average work = average checks, hard work = great checks), Benefits and 401k are great, constant coaching, a product you can actually believe in and an executive team that want you as an individual to succeed. Most importantly this isn't some pyramid scheme sales job where you've got to knock door-to-door or are 100% commission based. We have an awesome comp plan filled with sales spiffs (2 deals = x amount of bonus $ on your check or cornhole or miniput for extra cash)

Cons

Yes, you have to memorize a script and recite it in front of your fellow sales people, but once you get over the awkwardness of that, it's all in your court. You only have to recite it again in front of people if you're late, which if you do regularly, is very painful. But it is done to ensure you get to work a bit earlier and dont slack (I've definitely been on the other end of this and once I got tired of having to recite our script and waste my coworkers time in the morning I just woke up a bit earlier).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what youre doing. We are constantly making changes toward expanding into not only different markets, but also geographically into different areas to sell. The company has grown exponentially since I've begun my journey here and I'm thankful and excited to see where we end up. I only hope that we hire sales reps that are up for a challenge an not just here to call and close. It's sales, just like life, if it were easy, it wouldn't be fun.

"My favorite job"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at ReminderMedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great coaching, a culture of success, high energy.

Most importantly, if you are closing they allow you to do things your way. You won't feel restricted if what you're doing is working.

Cons

It's commission work; if you can't close you won't make money

"Senior Account Specialist"

Current Employee - Senator Account Specialist in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Senator Account Specialist in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at ReminderMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- The culture is like nothing I have ever seen.
    - A management team based around ethics and helping employees grow.
    - Internal hiring for the many different departments
    - You truly determine what your check will look like.

Cons

The $1 energy drink machine runs out sometimes lol. There are no cons.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing and growing this great company.

"Not for experienced salesmen."

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bala-Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bala-Cynwyd, PA

I worked at ReminderMedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1 hour lunch (for some but I honestly would have preferred half an hour), location

Cons

My stint here was a short disappointing one. I came in with a strong sales background where I was consistently a top performer at various companies (face to face sales and B2B sales consulting over the phone) and one of the reasons I became a top performer at those respective companies was because my ability to engage my own personality into the sales process.

Within a week, I realized that this was a script based job where the expectations were very much to be a puppet or robot that sells through a system where your verbiage could have you scolded or missing a sentence could have you questioned. It was too the point where anytime you're getting close to ask for the sale, a manager would chime in in my headset telling me to repeat after them verbatim, many times speaking over the client. It went as far as them telling us to ignore the client and just listen to them. I repeatedly stated that I have attention issues where my brain latches on to everything, which made these conversations EXTREMELY uncomfortable and awkward, and they continued. One time, I feel it even lost me a sale (the others were probably not going to happen anyway.

Mind you, I think the trainer and leads are actually EXTREMELY talented in their own right. The main trainer may be one of the most suave when it comes to overcoming objections and segwaying from topic to topic that I've heard in my years of selling; however, that style isn't for everyone. It has nothing to do with me not believing in their ability to sell but they also hired me because of my sales credentials, ability, and background. This was the first time I've ever worked in sales (over 5 years experience) where I was reprimanded for not being their puppet and saying what they said told me to say verbatim.

Because I questioned the selling system (not the behaviors because the behaviors are what are taught in every sales environment) of selling via a script, I often felt like I was being punished. On top of that, during the training process (which is very minimal compared to other companies) they repeatedly stress that you should be studying this script at home (which by law they can't force you to do work at home without paying you) and then you're passively scolded for not having the script memorized the next morning in front of everyone. Mind you, this is a script that's 3 pages of paragraphs that they expect you to know word for word. I don't go home after a long day work to work again (unless I'm being compensated.) Because of this I regularly had my commitment questioned publicly, when the reality is my call time and dials were higher than most in my department at my location (Bala Cynwyd.) It's quite offensive when you have your dedication/work ethic questioned when that's all you've been known for with every company you worked at --- not because of what you do/did at work but because what you didn't do at home.

I also noticed the favoritism (which is a reality in life, let alone the workplace, but still should not be tolerated) where reps with tenure or relationships with the leaders would have their wrong-doings overlooked. IE: the final straw of me being let go was that I was 1 minute late to work. I will mention that I was late fairly often (especially for a new hire), usually getting there within 1-4 minutes from the 9 am start time; however, there were several reps that, in the time I was there, were also tardy as many times (and sometimes hours late to work) as I was and it was disregarded. I understand star players and leaders in many circumstances don't get held to the same rules but again, it doesn't make it right. If there is a policy for tardiness, it should be upheld for every single individual at the company.

I don't think I ever want to work in a sales environment where you're tied so hard to a script and puppermasters who have you on a string and if you don't dance the way they want you to you're punished. It was disappointing but I already had interviews set up prior to being let go for positions that will further allow me to expand so getting let go wasn't much of a big deal, other than the fact that I don't want to hop from job to job.

Lastly, the comp system is somewhat misleading. It says one thing on your job offer letter and you find out after 6 weeks they change the comp plan up on you. They never sit down and actually break down the comp plan in detail.

Advice to Management

I understand that you have a system that worked great for you but I've been in sales long enough to know there are countless methods to be an effective salesman. Different personality types and selling styles all have their place. Please stop trying to override individual personalities and force your own onto them because that often won't work. If you forced Russell Wilson to play like Tom Brady, he wouldn't have won a Superbowl or had the career he has had. Learn to coach based off the individuals selling style or personality rather than shove your selling style down their throat.

Just like you expect salesman to trust your process, trust their ability to sell. Otherwise, don't hire tenured salesman with sales backgrounds and just hire people who are comfortable being puppets to your system.

And reward people for their work ethic, as much as the deals they put in (I mean in terms of the type of leads they get.) People who are not willing to commit to extensive phone time should not be rewarded with hot leads. That's working backwards and feeding people just based off favoritism, rather than because they're willing to work hard. Imagine how much strong the department would be if you gave those warmer leads to people who are actually willing to work even after being fed. Otherwise, the rich will continue to get richer (because the better leads are obviously significantly easier to close) and the poor will stay poorer and that margin/gap will keep the turnover rate as high as it's been.

"Marketing Services"

I worked at ReminderMedia full-time

Pros

The people you meet can be genuinely some of the nicest, sweetest most caring people who become your best friends.

Cons

This company is through and through a boys club. Most female employees find themselves in roles or positions that are considered "stepping-stones" by upper management or there is no growth; even when you ask for more responsibility. This company also shows you really early on in your journey that you are either in with the clique or you never will be. Those who are favorites get more work perks and generally don't seem to follow the company rules everyone else does, more lax PTO use, come late/leave early, and most importantly...if you're a favorite...you can do no wrong. If you're not in with the clique, you're scrutinized and opinions, questions or outreaches for more training go unseen. Company meetings have been religious in nature, and the term "cult" has been tossed around more often that it should be by management in meetings. Management can and absolutely will find a way to short your paycheck on hours worked and will make you use more PTO than necessary or is actually warranted. They have multiple trainers but there really is no training. Management offers no direction, no answers and then wonders why customers are angry over the lack of answers the employees have. The pay is no where near what is deserving of those that stick out this place longer than 3 months.

Advice to Management

Listen to those that aren't your group of Team Leads and Directors. No one listens to any suggestion a low level employee has UNLESS you're in with the "in-crowd".

"Revolving Door of Deception and Pressure"

Pros

Lots of nice little perks and enough money to at least pay your bills and have a little left over.

Cons

High pressure, constant critique, pressure to deceive customers but only to a certain extent, then critique if within those parameters the customer does not buy. It is always your fault. There is always something you allegedly could have done, but the things you always could have done involved more pressure on the customer or more deception. I was on the marketing team specifically because I didn't want to sell, but they make you sell no matter what team you're on, and they are so high pressure about it. They constantly micromanage, and your work day is 9 hours every day. Even the 8-hour workday is beginning to be undone because employers are realizing that it is far too much for productive and satisfied employees, and these people want you to work 9 at minimum. And, even though 45% of the time working in most offices is spent not working, you can't have that here as they monitor the number of calls you receive, the number of calls you make, the duration of each call, and how much time you spend off the phone in between calls. Even with breaks and lunch, you are essentially working 7 consecutive hours and it is extremely exhausting when you include the pressure to deceive and the constant critique.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to get your employees to deceive customers, create products that customers actually want, and stop deceiving your employees and constantly replacing them with new ones.

"2nd to NONE"

Current Employee - Senior Sales Recruiter in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Recruiter in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at ReminderMedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome leaders who want you to succeed and will do whatever asked to help you get there. Fun company culture where games are often played and added incentives are consistently offered up. no nights or weekends and the people who work together, all hang out together outside of work so it is a very inviting culture. Company sponsored events and catered meals.

Cons

company growing quickly so slight growing pains can arise