Remington Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Monty Bennett

Pros
  • Work life balance, fun place to work (in 4 reviews)

• This is a great company to work for (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much focus on Mr Bennett's Ranch woes or political viewpoint than how to improve the operations of the corporate office (in 8 reviews)

• There seems to be a high turnover in management making it difficult for employees to gain structure and truly enjoy their job (in 6 reviews)

"Great place to learn the industry!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Remington Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment at the corporate level. Makes an effort to get involved in the community. Remington really cares about the people who work at all levels of the company, from the field to the corporate office.

Cons

Not a con, but be prepared to work and pull your weight. This is a large publically traded company and the pressure is on to perform well. If you like a challenge, this is a great place to be. Communication and finding solutions go a long way here.

Advice to Management

Make yourselves more available.

"My career is in the hands of idiots!"

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Remington Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love my coworkers....enjoy my managers. They are empathetic and doing the best they can. They live and die by the " we need to make flow" rule. Which means they take my shifts when business is down to attempt to meet margins.

Cons

The corporate office is hopelessly inept. My previous hotel looked forward to visits from corporate because it meant encouragement and support: Now the DVP arrived and scares my managers with just ridiculous statements about how many books he has sold and how many speaking engagements he has. We see through the phoniness . Frankly any boss who suggests to me to read his updates in linked in is not worth working for.

Advice to Management

Downsize corporate and leave us alone. We function better without you!!

"Be Careful What You Wish For"

Former Employee - Fixed Asset Accounting Coordinator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Fixed Asset Accounting Coordinator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Remington Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was thoroughly impressed with their required community service stance twice a year. I enjoyed every minute of it. In fact, my family volunteered for Christmas at the Park and so enjoyed the experience that we are making it part of our Christmas celebrations every year going forward. Great free daily snacks.

Cons

I have never worked for a department so thoroughly out of touch with normal business practices in my whole 30+ years of working in accounting. The whole team was so paranoid about everyone and everything that it made it impossible to have a normal day of work. Management "favorites" made it impossible for others to work cohesively. Training and communication was either missing entirely or so convoluted that it was hard to follow. Tattling on your neighbor was an everyday occurrence that was rewarded and encouraged. Management bullied employees to the point where no one would speak up against unfair practices out of fear of retaliation. Also management had no problem telling employees to do something that was contradictory with good accounting ethical practices. Integrity was one of the main platforms of the company yet the department absolutely had none. Would even make up stories on employees if they didn't like you and wanted you out. I was told several times to CYA.

Advice to Management

Get rid of current management team and replace with more friendlier and team driven members of the Remington team that understands the concept of TEAM building, communication and cohesiveness.

"Low pay"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Billerica, MA
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Billerica, MA

I worked at Remington Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company manages different hotel chains. Employees can get discounted rates at the hotel chain you work at as well as the others that they manage.

Cons

Very low pay with lots of responsibilities. When the company took over a Courtyard by Marriott where I worked, they decreased the pay of the employees.

Advice to Management

Do not decrease the pay of hard working employees and also expect them to take on even more responsibilities. That shows that they are not appreciated and you'll have high turnover.

"Opportunities Arise, at a cost"

Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Hauppauge, NY
    Former Employee - Front Office Manager in Hauppauge, NY

I worked at Remington Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work hard, the company without a doubt will recognize you, and promote you within.

Cons

If you have minimal experience in that specific area, your wage will greatly be lower not based on your quality of work, but on a 'you should be thankful' type mentality. Appreciate the promotion(s) for Resume, but do not expect to be paid fairly.

Advice to Management

When visiting hotels, base the property off of what it is... who you have placed in the hands to run the hotel. Having such fluctuation in upper management and bad work moral as a cause of this --- coming in without showing empathy (as you 'teach' to show our guests) is an unfit environment. Working hard means nothing if results are not showing (this is fact and agreed on by myself) however, each department head takes on the tasks as set by the GM - having multiple GM's in a years time and having new directives each time. In addition to, allowing the appropriate number of staff to maintain quality service is key, one in which in my experience was lacking. Spreading management thin to replace hourly employee's is not beneficial to staff, business or more importantly the guests. Saying you can have a full staff if you want to means nothing when corporate budgeting does not reflect words which are said to make it at fault of someone else.

Having meetings where one higher level managers come in...and brag, and belittle the hotels management 'If I was here, I can guarantee you I could do better' is not fit for a proper moral after so much hard work and improvement is made - can do it better, then go and do it... rather than making someone feel worthless. Worst 'meeting' I have ever had to endure was one manager from corporate come and talk about themselves (every time) for hours to the entire on-site management team. Same stories, same bragging - each time.

However, after the yearly President Visits and such after inspections - truly were amazing. Their 'pep talks' each time are very inspiring and honestly the best part about my experience with Remington (other than building my experience).

"More hands-on employee development needed"

Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Remington Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Workplace is quite laid back. Corporate employees don't make many pop-up visits as you'd think.

Cons

VERY LOW PAY!! You get the run around about how they're looking at the competitive wage market and base their pay off that. When in actuality, surrounding hotels are paying their employees more.

Shortness of staff keeps you in a stagnant position. Seems like Remington only cares about the number and just bs their way to achieve the five drivers as they call it.

Advice to Management

Advice to management and corporate. You guys to pay your good employees in order to retain them. Mediocre pay will make them lose their passion when they see no value is being placed on them. Thanks you's aren't enough.

"Great Place to work"

Former Employee - Hostess in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Hostess in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Remington Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great and caring management. Remington Hotels cares about customer service and gives you the space as an employee to enhance customer experience how you see fit.

Cons

You have to almost definitely work every single holiday.

"Process Improvement ??"

Former Employee - Process Improvement Team in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Process Improvement Team in Dallas, TX

I worked at Remington Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nothing positive to say, except that I am glad I left this company. The best comparison I can make is this is a company of "C" students. If you are any type of achiever or over-achiever, you will be bored and frustrated as I was.

Cons

Low pay. Management all the way to the top is unprofessional and ineffectual. Company's culture and technology is set in the past. Process improvement team is managed by complete incompetence. Too many levels of management that do no work except manage time.

Advice to Management

Note that when I interviewed with your company and accepted the job 8 months ago your Glassdoor rating was 3.0 and now it is 2.3. Align your pay structure with industry standards, maybe then you could afford to hire better qualified and more professional managers who actually know how to inspire a team. Management training on appropriate behavior also would be beneficial. Management has no boundaries. Who wants to come to work every day and hear all of their manager's personal problems!? There are lots of time wasters in the company especially in Process Improvement which is ironic. Take a hard look at what people actually do every day and if it has real value to your company's business. Management has nothing to do except manage time, meaning whether or not you are at your desk for 8 hours a day.

"No money"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Hauppauge, NY
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Hauppauge, NY

Pros

They appear to care about employees but everything the employees get the employees PAY for.

Cons

There is no money for anyone but executives. Managers work close to 60 hour weeks for pennies.They cut hourly employees hours drastically so staffing is a constant issue. They cut money in all the wrong places. Not a positive work enviroment. High turn over rate

Advice to Management

If you want more from employees, give them more! Salaried managers should not be expected to work 60-70 hour weeks.

"Don't."

Current Employee - Front Office Associate in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Front Office Associate in Parsippany, NJ

Pros

The coworkers are pleasant to be around for the most part.

Cons

Ineffective management leaves the hotel barely functioning.