Remke Markets Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Matthew Remke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nice company to work for."

I worked at Remke Markets full-time

Pros

Was able to learn the basics of the grocery business. Not stressful. Opportunities to learn several departments. Worked with my school schedule.

Cons

Benefits and incentives could be better.

2. "Eh..."

I have been working at Remke Markets part-time

Pros

Learn a lot about how to interact with customers and coworkers.

Cons

Have to deal with rude customers all the time. Management isn't trained correctly. They expect us to know how to do everything while they don't have to know how to do anything. Don't even think about getting a raise. Work your butt off for crappy pay. Most coworkers are jerks. They are always cutting back hours. You have to train a lot of people because most people don't stay very long and you don't get paid to train. Management doesn't deal with problems between coworkers. Just hope they go away. Only care that there's a warm body working a shift. Don't care about you as a person at all really. Could care less if you are actually sick. They still want you to come in. They will work you into a grave. Customers always get their way even if it goes against corporate policy. So what's the point of having corporate policies?

Advice to Management

Be trained in more than one area. They should be the ones training new employees. Act like you actually care.

3. "It's not worth it. Cashier. Hebron Kentucky"

Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Hebron, KY
    Current Employee - Front End Cashier in Hebron, KY

I have been working at Remke Markets part-time

Pros

It's not hard work at all. They seem flexible with the scheduling. You get a 10% discount. Managers aren't bad.

Cons

Not enough people on front end so a good portion of the time you're the only cashier if they know they can take advantage of you. And if you're new, they can and will. Pay isn't worth it. You get awful hours. The employees aren't very nice.

Advice to Management

Learn how to schedule people and don't let the employees take advantage of the new person. I know you're all about customer service, so try working on that other than just doing a ton of 3 day sales to bring people in.

4. "Non-union and it shows"

I worked at Remke Markets part-time

Pros

Good, friendly employees and a top-notch customer base. Room for advancement if you work hard.

Cons

Short time in between shifts; management is unresponsive to employee needs and concerns; very high employee turnover; maximum expectations for minimum pay; virtually no employee discounts

Advice to Management

Show that you appreciate your employees by offering competitive pay and benefits and by listening and responding to their concerns.

5. "Friendly staff, management is good but could do so much better"

I have been working at Remke Markets part-time

Pros

Upbeat work atmosphere with great co-workers

Cons

It is a small business that was recently sold. Not sure of our jobs with new owner. Store I work at was formerly bigg's owned by Supervalu. We have been sold twice in the 7 1/2 yrs I've been employed there. Nothing negative to say,

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. We're all human and make mistakes.

6. "Pharmacy Technician"

Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I worked at Remke Markets full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good job, worked with great people. It was a very busy pharmacy and my time there went very quickly.

Cons

There wasn't anything that was very bad there, the clientele could be a little demanding but overall it was a nice place to work. The staff was all very friendly.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice in particular, some pharmacists were working more hours than they would have liked because they were a little understaffed.

7. "Cashier"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Remke Markets part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling, friendly staff, learning opportunities, can work multiple departments, know about sales and coupons to save money on groceries.

Cons

Short staffed at registered consistently, Low pay with little room for growth, Floating human resources so management is stretched thin as well. No job security. Customer satisfaction is expected without staff to manage it.

Advice to Management

Look for ways to bring customers in besides three day sales and coupon deals. Working for bigg's too I realized how much more they cared about their employees who then spread that care on toward the customers. This brought customers in consistently.

8. "Cake decorator"

Pros

They are with flexible hours. The managers work along with the other employees, so they are able to see how things operate and if a change needs to happen they work to make things better. Most of the people that work there know how important customer service is.

Cons

Several stores have closed over the last few years. It is scary to think that the company might be closing your store next when you really depend on your job.

Advice to Management

Communicate to everyone in your department. Let them see the bigger picture of what you are trying to accomplish during the week so they can help with the stuff that they can when they have extensive time.

9. "Depending on Location"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Taylor Mill, KY
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Taylor Mill, KY

I worked at Remke Markets part-time

Pros

Easy job, low stress environment, some self delegation

Cons

Corporate priorities are inconsistent, focus on unnecessary branding fundamentals, unclear mission

Advice to Management

Focus on the prestigious positioning of Remke Markets as a grocery retailer.

10. "Heusjsh"

I worked at Remke Markets part-time

Pros

The position was alright. I worked as a cart guy and then as a stockroom worker, overall it was kind of whatever.

Cons

Bad hours, bad customers, dramatic coworkers, constantly changing management with no real clear outline of who was in charge of either of the departments I was in.

Advice to Management

Work on defining a clear ladder, define who you Want where and show customers who that is. Allow your employees to work on moving through the company and not just stagnating in one spot.