Renaissance Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Renaissance Hotels President & CEO, Marriott International, Inc. Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Marriott takes good care of their employees with a great benefits package and nice work environments (in 6 reviews)

• Very good benefits and opportunities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of the upper management have poor management skills and unethical working practices (in 7 reviews)

• Work life balance is hart at times (in 4 reviews)

1. "Event Concierge"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at Renaissance Hotels full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful Company, and provides great flexibility.

Cons

nothing that i can think of

2. "Great place to work"

I worked at Renaissance Hotels part-time

Pros

great discounts on other Marriott hotels, had great employers.

Cons

Pay starts at low pay, and slowly increases.

3. "Great"

I have been working at Renaissance Hotels part-time

Pros

Really good Please go ahed guys

Cons

No COns they are really great people

Advice to Management

Keep it up and you are the best

"Decent company but rating is based on my property"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Renaissance Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Owned by Marriott so we receive their 401-k, health and dental plans. Large hotels means more areas to transfer to when there are openings or properties to transfer to. Corporate is actually not too hard to get in touch with. Hotels offer flexible work hours and overtime opportunities.

Cons

A lot of the upper management have poor management skills and unethical working practices. Not everyone. But in my three years here I've noticed most upper management sides with each other and it takes a lot of push back to get some kind of action out of mangement if you have a legitimate issue or concern. My leads have been taught in some fashion that if there is an issue between an associate and another lead, that the leads are to take each other's side no matter what. Managers seem to have their favorites and get really irritated when you call them out and tell them that there is unfair treatment. You can go to HR and talk it all out but the Director isn't the best at resolving issues. He more so wants to tell everyone to make up and go back to work. There are people there who have been promoted to leadership positions who have been known to be nasty towards guests and co-workers. And employees that work hard, do their jobs and others but make one small mistake and get a written documentation that is forever on your record. They over use their progressive disciplinary actions and often try to make up reasons and excuses to give you a couch and counsel. Again, this stays on your record. Other properties can see this if you are trying to transfer. When it's slow the full time don't all get their guaranteed 32 hrs.

Advice to Management

Stop "building walls" and saying that it's all just the associates. It's your leads too. Stop taking sides and take facts. Stop trying to divide your team with stupid drama. We came here to work and get paid but we can hardly do that with your micro-management. Upper management: The managers you entrust to run your departments are running us into the ground and killing morale. You may want to invest in Ethics classes or at least emphasize Ethics in the work place A LOT more.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - In Room Dining Server in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - In Room Dining Server in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Renaissance Hotels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Clean work environment. Good management. Very flexible and understanding.

Cons

Lack of consistency from the workers

Advice to Management

Demand consistency in performance from all shifts, so the burden of work doesn't fall heavier on a particular shift.

6. "Draining"

I worked at Renaissance Hotels full-time

Pros

Employee luncheons, you get lunch everyday

Cons

15 checkouts a day or 50 stayovers a day, no product EVER, fighting with Mexicans for linen, your time is from 8:30am-5pm but if you clock out at 5pm you get in trouble (stupid right), there are early out (rooms that were supposed to be stayovers but decided to leave) that have to be done before you go but then they are on the checkout board and already cleaned, upper management sits and the office and gossips instead of coming to help, if you are missing one pillowcase out if your room you have to go hunt to find one because you can't leave until that one pillowcase is put in the room, the supervisors are so lazy and messy, people steal off your cart, the executive housekeeper makes rules but everybody still does what they want.

Advice to Management

Stop being hire more housekeepers, buy more linen, buy more product, stop showing favoritism!

"Your mileage may vary dramatically"

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator

I worked at Renaissance Hotels part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free meals, employee discount at Marriott brand hotels

Cons

My manager constantly made racist and sexist comments towards my coworkers and I with little to no repercussions due to his seniority and HR's unwillingness to ruffle feathers. I was constantly pressured to work overtime despite being contractually obligated to 35 hours a week to make up for my manager's short-notice vacations and extended breaks. That said, your experience will vary based on management, culture and employee morale at your specific location.

Advice to Management

Open communication with employees at the bottom of the feeding chain. Midlevel management is most likely to mistreat and berate those who can't retaliate.

8. "Housemen"

Former Employee - Housemen in Walnut, CA
    Former Employee - Housemen in Walnut, CA

I worked at Renaissance Hotels full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool job, hardwork is mandatory, teaches you to not be lazy. I would say its long shifts but its worth it

Cons

Longshifts, no bathrooms on any of the floors above our office. pay for lunch.

Advice to Management

They are lienant and genuine people. Keep up the respect with everybody and you will always get it from me.

9. "Great place...if you like extreme management turnover, backstabbers, and age discrimination"

Former Employee - Former Department Manager in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Former Department Manager in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Renaissance Hotels full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some nice people in corporate positions

Cons

As soon as you are of a certain age, management will do anything and everything to either make you quit or fire you. They will "restructure your department". Cut your pay. When you simply won't quit, they will fire you. Certain people will stab you in the back with so many knives you will never stand up straight again. She will tell other managers that you are too confused about email. Lies like that. So you can go from years of exceptional reviews, documented, showing there is little to no room for improvement, to being out on the streets. GM turnover is atrocious. The office assigned is little more than a closet with a possibly moldy AC.

Advice to Management

Why bother, managers don't stick around long enough to implement change.

10. "Night Audit"

I have been working at Renaissance Hotels full-time

Pros

The employees are really outgoing.

Cons

The management is super cheap.

Advice to Management

Quality over quantity.