Rend Lake College Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
  1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Rend Lake College full-time

Pros

Great work culture, co workers, benefits

Cons

Office politics play a large role

Rend Lake College2019-05-08
  2. "Adjunct Professor"

I have been working at Rend Lake College part-time

Pros

The pay is very competitive with other colleges in the industry. Everyone that I have had to work and interact with has been extremely helpful and easy to work with. I thoroughly enjoy my current position and play to continue to work with the college.

Cons

I have not encountered any Cons yet.

Rend Lake College2018-05-16
  3. "Records Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ina, IL

I have been working at Rend Lake College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very nice perks around the Christmas holidays of paid time off

Cons

The pay is not very good but it is a Community College...

Advice to Management

Increased internal communication

Rend Lake College2017-11-21
  4. "Rend Lake College"

I have been working at Rend Lake College part-time

Pros

Great place to work.

Cons

There are no issues

Rend Lake College2017-11-14
  5. "Typical"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Rend Lake College

Pros

Part-time faculty pay is similar to other colleges in the area. Full-timers rave about how great RLC is to work for. I don't see it.

Cons

As part-time instructor, I have no input into the curriculum, no investment in the college, and no support to improve my skills. There are too many of us being employed to cut the budget. This can negatively impact the bottom line and, more importantly, students' experiences.

Advice to Management

Get off the part-time faculty merry-go-round. Hire and cultivate full-time faculty who can support students the way they need to be. Be aware of local events that can impact the safety of students' commutes.

Rend Lake College2017-08-17

"A sinking ship"

Former Employee - Instructor in Ina, IL

I worked at Rend Lake College full-time for more than a year

Pros

Freedom to design and teach courses the way I choose. A great place to work if you are a "yes-man" and are comfortable kowtowing to the upper administration and their lackeys.

Cons

Horrible administration. Little to no communication between upper administration and deans or faculty. Administration refuses to consider creative solutions to problems. Run by an oligarchy of unqualified administrators. Great organizations are obsessed with finding and retaining good people and under-performing organizations drive them out because they fear someone better than them. This is certainly the case at... RLC where good faculty are let go to save a relative pittance of salary at the detriment to students and the entire college.

Advice to Management

Clean house and start over. Listen to your faculty and deans. Support your faculty and put the students and the quality of education that you provide above your pension plans. Don't fear change and hire qualified people. When you value loyalty over talent, you're doomed to fail.

Rend Lake College2017-02-14

"Associate Professor"

I worked at Rend Lake College full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Enjoyed working with students. Flexible schedule. Great co-workers

Cons

Ran by a monarchy. Very patronizing leadership. Expect employees to do more with less. No positive feedback only negative.

Advice to Management

Replace Curent administration

Rend Lake College2017-01-18
  8. "RLC"

I have been working at Rend Lake College

Pros

I love the work, I have great coworkers, and usually pretty great students. Most of us have pretty flexible schedules.

Cons

Part Time instructors are treated very unfairly. You make a lot less than your coworkers with the same qualifications, and there is ZERO job security. It'/ like that at most community colleges, though.

Advice to Management

I think most of the problems come down to budget and there is little management could do. But something should be done to make part-time employees feel more valued.

Rend Lake College2016-11-17
  9. "Part time"

Former Contractor - Former Employee in Benton, IL

I worked at Rend Lake College for more than 3 years

Pros

great atmosphere and work ethic; everyone is always working diligently and effeciently

Cons

this is the best place ever, they really look out for all their employees and treat them like gold

Advice to Management

dont change a thing, no outside influencers to disrupt the well oiled machine

Rend Lake College2016-06-20
  10. "Coach"

I have been working at Rend Lake College

Pros

They give you the opportunity and the ability to have the flexibility to run your program professionally and have great academic support system.

Cons

Unfortunately, they do not give the same scholarship packages as the other schools within the conference, which causes an unfair advantage against us in the sports arena.

Advice to Management

Would love to see athletic housing and food get provided within the scholarship packages to level the playing field and enhance our ability to play on the national stage.

Rend Lake College2015-06-09