Renesas Electronics America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Ali Sebt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A fine company to work for."

Pros

Time: They are pretty flexible with scheduling and understanding when it comes to life (kids, appointments, etc.) As long you do your work and are able to attend online meetings, you're good. Good work/life balance.

Food: Daily discount from Specialty's if you order online by morning. They have free bagels sometimes, donuts on Fridays, and once in a while, leftovers from big conferences. No cafeteria onsite. Just a vending machine and once a week food trucks that are at your own expense.

Coffee/Tea: Peet's and Philz. Also Espresso machine. Plenty of lipton.

Gym: On-site gym. Decent equipment.

Quiet Room: Available for new mothers or if you just need a nap.

Ergo-friendly: standing desks available upon request.

HR: Very responsive. I had an issue with a male manager in a different department. His comments were making me feel uncomfortable. Talked to other female coworkers and a few of them felt the same. I reported it to my manager, who escalated it to HR. It was addressed right away and the behavior stopped completely. Seems like they take sexual harassment VERY seriously.

Senior Management: Seems supportive and approachable.

Cons

No on-site cafeteria currently, but this will most likely change in the future.

No once-a-week social events.

Social events and happy hours were few and far between, but the company just merged so this may change in the future.

If you're a millennial, seeking to work with a lot of other like-minded millennials, this is probably not the company for you. However, I do hear they are trying to recruit more in engineering.

There are some work inefficiencies like waiting on approval from different departments, managers, or regions. Sometimes, this makes it hard to get work done quickly.

Advice to Management

Team-building and overall employee morale could use a bit of improvement.

2. "Renesas America"

Former Employee - Staff Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Staff Product Marketing Manager in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Renesas Electronics America (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting technology, lots of good engineers

Cons

Chaotic Development process, far more focused on process than results, a lot of finger pointing instead of cooperative approach to issues, too many managers who don't hold themselves or their teams accountable

Advice to Management

Focus on what matters, cut the internal one upmanship

3. "Good starter company"

I have been working at Renesas Electronics America full-time

Pros

Lean teams. Significant learning opportunity all across the board because of this. Company is transitioning from hardware to solutions provider. Lot of opportunity to learn and experiment.

Cons

No defined development process/tools etc. Very lean teams could lead to lot of stress after working for a while.

"Cutting Edge Technology"

Current Employee - Expert
    Current Employee - Expert

Pros

Great products. It is much easier to sell products when they are truly best-in-class. Solid management. Good execution. Not a lot of micromanagement. You know what the plan is, and you are given a lot of latitude in how you achieve your objectives.

Cons

Long hours. Very stressful. Not for you if you are a 9-to-5er. You will not get rich here with stock options.

Advice to Management

While I have never told management how I feel, I will state here publicly that as a long-term employee I would follow you anywhere. I have devoted a significant portion of my career to you. I came very early to trust in you, and you have not let me down. Thank you.

5. "Good Place to work"

Former Employee - Product Marketing Intern in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Intern in San Jose, CA

I worked at Renesas Electronics America (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place, Good Senior management.

Cons

None as far as I know.

6. "Renesas Electronics America, positioned for growth"

I have been working at Renesas Electronics America full-time

Pros

Dynamic work environment where you are empowered to get results. Management is very good, they do not micro-mange employees, but instead support them with the resources needed to get the job done.
    Working with next generation technology which leads the semiconductor industry.
    Working with very talented teams (engineering, sales, and marketing)
    The company is well positioned for growth and profitability after a few years of reformation.
    Excellent benefits: low healthcare costs to employees and high 401k contributions

Cons

Working with a company headquartered in Japan requires some non-traditional hours to be supported. Meetings need to be held very early or very late due to the 13 or 14 hour time difference. There were many years of restructuring required to reach a profitable state, but this is over now.

Advice to Management

Continue supporting your employees as you do today and they will continue to provide the excellent results which grow business.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - California in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - California in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Renesas Electronics America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Renesas Electronics is a wonderful place to work. First and foremost, the technology is exciting. Renesas was formed through the merger of the semiconductor divisions of Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and NEC - so there is a long history of amazing technological development that continues on to this day. So there is a long, storied, and interesting history. Two, the people are wonderful. The US subsidiary has approximately 400 people, so, in some ways, it feels like you work for a small company and you have the opportunity to meet, learn from, and get to know people at all levels. But, at the same time, Renesas Electronics is a massive global operation with a massive global reach. Customers in the United States are leaders in the automotive, industrial, and consumer spaces - it is likely your car, phone, and appliances have one or more Renesas chips in them, etc. So, there is a great mix between small company feel and large company reach and career opportunity. And, the benefits are top notch. The building are new and interesting spaces to work in. The work-life balance is great. I can't say enough positives. Of course, no work place is perfect, but I have been very pleased to spend my days at Renesas.

Cons

Renesas Electronics America is a subsidiary and at times the influence of the parent corporation can have its disadvantages. However, on the whole, the parent corporation involves and seeks leadership from us to an extraordinary extent. As a result, the opportunities to make a global impact are boundless. From a glass half empty perspective, one could look at the subsidiary relationship as a negative. From a glass half full perspective, the subsidiary relationship is quite positive and only enhances the job.

Advice to Management

Continue to involve and seek input from employees at all levels.

8. "Insane expectations"

I have been working at Renesas Electronics America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The health benefits and 401K plan are fantastic.

Cons

Employees are expected to work a minimum 10 hour day regardless of job title. Being available via phone at all times is also expected. For satellite offices the hours can be day or night. The workload is extremely heavy and people are pushed to the extreme in the name of doing more with less. People rarely take vacation time and when they do they spend a large portion of it working.

Advice to Management

People need to be treated like a valuable asset. If you push people until they break then all you will be left with is broken people.

9. "So so"

I have been working at Renesas Electronics America full-time

Pros

Good Technology, good devices, company turning more profitable.

Cons

Not bad, but no a fun place to work (I've had better).

10. "Had an amazing time"

Pros

Felt like my needs were addressed.
    Hiring manager/CEO were very nice

Cons

Felt out of the loop at times since I was not working on an offsite location