Renovate America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Roy Guthrie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Free lunch everyday for all employees" (in 46 reviews)

• "Great benefits, casual work hours" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "The company is feeling some growing pains from growing quickly but we are all working through it" (in 11 reviews)

• "The current state of our employ under Renovate America is forcing nearly everyone to stop and ask: "What on earth happened to this place" (in 4 reviews)

"Optimistic"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Renovate America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They finally seem to have the right management in place. For the last few years, we had no clear strategy and were constantly being yanked from one fire drill to another. I finally feel like we have good strategy in place, and we're doing the right work for the right reason.

Considering the number of layoffs and the new management coming in, I didn't really expect to like the new executive team better than the old one. It just seems like that never happens. But in this case, I do.

There's also more focus on where we want to be in 3 years, instead of reacting to whatever happened last week, which helps a ton.

Cons

We're definitely still really, really tight on resources. Like, really tight.

Advice to Management

It's amazing that there are so many of the top performers still at the company.

PLEASE DO WHAT IT TAKES TO KEEP THEM!

"Manager"

I have been working at Renovate America full-time

Pros

The challenge of re-building a company and an industry in turmoil. I’m receiving an on th job MBA. That wouldn’t happen anywhere else.

Cons

Reduced work force, although necessary, putting more work on fewer people

Advice to Management

Advice to my former collegues that write bad reviews: Move on with your life and stop badmouthing those that are busting butt to turn the company around.

Advice to my current colleagues: lets hunker down, band together, work harder and together make history. Take advantage of the fact that this is an incredible learning experience. If you dont like it, leave. No one said this would be easy.

"Changes"

Former Employee - Channel Account Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Channel Account Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Renovate America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits
    Paid Time Off is Unlimited
    Talented and Brilliant Team Members help to elevate you. (good personal growth potential)

Cons

Changes Concerning Industry Regulations.
    Confusion within management about what business the company is actually in, and who their client really is.

Advice to Management

Swallow your pride. Ditch the arrogance and codescending attitudes.
    Hold yourself accountable for your decisions and how they led to your current results.
    Admit to yourself that the people who were let go were a BIG part of the reason for the previous success of RA. They were The Cream of the Industry when RA recruited them. They were not, and are not the reason for your decline.
    The reason for your market share reduction stems from your failure to listen, coupled with your lack of industry knowledge. Easily overcome if you put ego aside.

"Sad"

I have been working at Renovate America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance plan, lunch

Cons

Used to be a great place to work - exciting with a sense of purpose. Unfortunately, everything changed when the founders of our company were pushed out and replaced by a politician, a lawyer, and a few bankers. The efforts and courage of our team are not enough without purpose and direction. Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. With the new management, our market share went from 90% to 20%.

It's gotten so toxic that our COO threatened that he would make sure we "eat out of garbage cans" if we leave to work for the competition. To quote our current President, "Sad!"

Advice to Management

Listen and learn from your employees

"I've never seen a company fall apart so fast"

Former Employee - Technology Department
    Former Employee - Technology Department

I worked at Renovate America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have literally nothing good left to say.

Cons

After technology decisions were made without consulting the technology department, a mass exodus began. When I asked what was going to be done to keep more people from leaving, there was no response other than being told there was no money. Then a week later, several managers and directors received promotions quietly (without announcing it to anyone). At the same time, the executive leadership started having "secret" dinners with select individuals from each department, but didn't inform anyone else what they were doing or why. No transparency from leadership, playing favorites, and driving the talent away in droves.

Advice to Management

If you value your employees, reward their accomplishments. If you don't, then just be honest with them that you don't want them working there and come to an amicable arrangement. The secrecy is shady, and only serves to churn the rumor mill and drive people away. You're going to regret it when you realize that the company doesn't function without all the individual contributors you don't seem to care about.

"Renovating America and itself, great opportunity!"

Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Renovate America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative online and mobile financing application will absolutely grow business. Partnerships like PACE, and green bonds, are necessary in the fight against Climate Change- especially with the lack of federal leadership. PACE is here to stay and so is Renovate America. Now with a more diversified offering that includes other forms of financing.

Cons

Still getting rid of employees who don’t care about the Pros, and who want leadership to hand them motivation. Ask yourself what you can do for the team.

Advice to Management

Discern who has good work ethic.

"Not Great"

Former Employee - Operations Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Renovate America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open PTO policy (for salary employees)
    New office

Cons

The first year the culture and general environment was quite positive as we were building towards credible change in the industry. However, a number of leadership changes (and layoffs) impacted the quality and balance of the company, since. Transparency is non-existent and overall morale is very low. Current leadership doesn't appear to have a good pulse for the employees.

Advice to Management

More transparency. Do more to keep the talent you have left.

"Heartless"

Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Renovate America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, some fun events occasionally

Cons

Massive layoffs - went from 650 employees to 400 in the course of 6 months.

Advice to Management

When the Founder and CEO of the company (JP McNeil) stepped down - and the CFO was essentially fired... you know there's a problem. JP lived up to his word of "never wanting to go through this (layoffs) again" by getting out before the 2nd round.

Advice to Employees: get out on your own terms before the 3rd round... should be any time now.

"Worst place I have ever worked"

Former Employee - Marketing in Rancho Bernardo, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Rancho Bernardo, CA

I worked at Renovate America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, good benefits

Cons

Corrupt and shady management, HR cares about covering up the truth instead of supporting employees with valid complaints. Executive team is heartless and they lie through their teeth.

Advice to Management

Grow up and act like adults. Stop posting phony good reviews on here. Take responsibility for your actions and put the consumer first instead of corporate greed. Stop pretending you have a culture of respect.

"Manager"

I have been working at Renovate America full-time

Pros

- Open PTO policy
    - Pretty flexible work hours
    - Nice new office building
    - Subsidized lunches
    - Good health benefits

Cons

- Half the promotions are given without merit; if you're at the right spot at the right time and close with upper management, congratulations.
    - The executives have different opinions and agendas that don't align to a common goal
    - The new leadership team's communication is subpar - significant org changes (departures and roles) were left to rumors and word of mouth updates
    - There is 5x more work and 1/2 the people to do it
    - There is 1 executive in particular that has a reputation for his disrepectful and condescending behavior

Advice to Management

Be transparent and trust your employees. You have a lot of very talented, hard working people that are being undervalued and becoming jaded.