Renovo Hardwood Bicycles Reviews | Glassdoor

Renovo Hardwood Bicycles Reviews

1.0
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Verbal Abuse - Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Production/Finishing in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Production/Finishing in Portland, OR

I worked at Renovo Hardwood Bicycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people that work there are intelligent, artistic and hard working and the bikes that are built are beautiful. Free lunch on Fridays.

Cons

The owner's attitude is toxic to the entire company. He is a grown child, yelling at employees, punching the wall, calling people fat. He openly verbally abuses employees and says sexual comments about female employees to upper management. He lies to customers and business partners regarding the materials used to make the frames, testing the bikes, etc. When OSHA was expected for an inspection, he would instruct employees to hide certain saws, flammable materials and the fork lift (which had no breaks), in order to avoid any fines. In the month of March within a one week period, 6 employees left. The following weeks, 1 employee was let go for speaking their mind and 4 others left. This left no one in production and no one in engineering. This is all due to the owner making the environment toxic. It is very unfortunate that a person like him can ruin a company that has potential to produce a great product. Do not invest in him, do not work here.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, be a silent owner, remove yourself...

2. "Working in production at Renovo"

Former Employee - Production in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Production in Portland, OR

I worked at Renovo Hardwood Bicycles full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The other production workers were awesome people who were all artist and makers outside of work. Now that most of the people in the shop have left as off March 2018 I am not sure how the attitude is now.

Cons

I decided to leave Renovo due to sexual and verbal harassment that every employee experiencing while working there. The owner, who lives in the building, has no filter or morals when it come to talking to or about employees. Commenting on worker weight and body type, treating employees with different skin colors differently, and making backhanded comments made it uncomfortable to be in the room with him, The bikes that come out of the shop are not tested and unsafe which makes working there morally conflicting. The people in the office are offered benefits when the production workers who are exposed to toxic chemicals and woods are not offered benefits and the shop do not have proper ventilation or safely perseasure. I loved the people I worked with before 8 or the 12 people in the company decided to leave because of the issues above and many more awful thing that the boss has done. The boss is inappropriate and the business is not manages or ran professionally. I would not recommend working for Renovo for any position or pay especially if you are a female. They use tactics like free lunch, open break schedule, and snacks to make it seem like a fun place to work but once you are in you see how unhappy the environment makes everyone.

3. "Avoid at all costs / Toxic work environment"

Pros

The people that work there are great but demoralized by the extreme toxic work environment.

Cons

-The owner (Ken Wheeler) lies to potential costumers, business partners, PR firms and employees.
    -Treats employees extremely poorly and makes them lie.
    -He doesn't want anybody to be friends with each other, he has instructed this to several former employees including myself.
    -He abuses employees verbally and refers to women as the "C" word, threatens to pull them by the hair and tosses their belongings around.
    -He has been heard asking "How's her rear end?" about prospective employees.
    -One female employee has been heard saying to Ken Wheeler : "Are you gonna hit me again?!"
    -Calls employees useless, especially production people.
    -He is a violent/aggressive person and has guns on the premises.
    -Not nearly enough safety precautions in the shop.
    -Working there is physically and mentally stressful, any current employee will agree and will back up all of the information above.

Advice to Management

Retire. Stop the lies and the scams.

4. "Beware of Renovo"

Former Employee - Laborer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Laborer in Portland, OR

I worked at Renovo Hardwood Bicycles full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch on Fridays. Neat product.

Cons

Worst job I've ever had. The owner is dishonest to customers, his investors and other companies he associates with about the product. He mistreats his employees, has on numerous occasions called one a 4 letter word that starts with C, and makes other disgusting comments about other workers' weight and appearance. He is a misogynist and has made other inappropriate sexual comments about female workers.

The dishonesty is regarding our product and the materials he claims we use. I cannot go any further into detail than that.

He just lost 6 employees in a mass exodus. Another just left. He is clueless about why even though the writing is on the wall. He is about to put up a new Craigslist ad in efforts to keep the show going. He will claim that you get a free bike frame after working there a year. This is only half true, as he will resist your request for your promised frame as much as he can.

Do not work for this company. Any rumors you've heard are likely true.

Advice to Management

You need to relinquish control and hire someone younger and smarter to ensure a future of your business. You are in the way of its growth and success.

5. "Avoid at all costs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Renovo Hardwood Bicycles full-time

Pros

Coworkers were great, but we were more commiserating than anything.

Cons

Owner was manipulative, deceptive, and demoralizing to nearly everyone that works there.
    Many of the bikes were sent nearly one year after they were ordered. We witnessed several bikes that were sent for demo when they were not structurally sound and resulted in accidents and catastrophic failure to the frames.

Owner also repeatedly expected loyal employees to work every weekend. He would waive the prospects of medical insurance over our heads, and sometimes would resort to violent outbursts.

Worst. Boss. Ever!

Advice to Management

Retire, or let someone else do the job.