Renown Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jim Miller

Pros
  • good benefits, good management, good work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Great place to work with great people (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has unrealistic expectations of their underlings (in 7 reviews)

• low pay, short staff, need different phone system (in 4 reviews)

1. "Renown RN"

I have been working at Renown Health full-time

Pros

Great team atmosphere, level 2 trauma, education provided, new technology

Cons

some of the hospital is really out dated, very short staffed all the time. management in many areas is always new and changing, most supervisors have only been an RN for 2 years, poor pay, and expensive benefits

Advice to Management

become competitive if you don't want to constantly train new staff

2. "Current employee"

Current Employee - CNA in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - CNA in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. If you transfer departments and don't like it, you can go back to your old department. 12 hour shifts are long but nice to have. We help the whole community. We are expanding our areas of care and expertise. Insurance is good but expensive. The daycare is one of the most expensive in town and they are not suited to the employees hours and aren't even open on weekends.

Cons

Although pay adjustments have been made, Alot of employees need 2nd jobs to be able to make a living. A few employees have left to other less desirable jobs that pay more. If you get written up you have to wait a year to transfer to another department. He dosent listen to employees complaints about managers/supervisor.

Advice to Management

Make your employees happy, if they are happy the patients are happy. Focus on retention. Pay needs to be competitive with the other hospitals.

3. "Great Place to Start"

Former Employee - Practice Supervisor in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Practice Supervisor in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to start your career, they will take the time to train you for the position.

Cons

Very clicky, you'll be judge by how you are perceived by one impression instead of the work you put in.

Advice to Management

Look to retain employees and to teach them and grow them. Not let them go because of something that can be fixed.

5. "politics, drama, and hierarchy"

I worked at Renown Health full-time

Pros

Great medical, dental, and vision benefits

Cons

The culture is all about the title. Too much drama, politics and instability with Renown. They should just install revolving doors to handle the turnover.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't care. They really don't want to hear what I have to say.

6. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Health (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance
    Positive work environment
    Feels like a big family
    Good benefits

Cons

I didn't feel like I experienced many..

7. "CNA"

Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Caregiver, CNA in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Renown Hospital has the latest knowledge in the medical field and the best personal to help those people in need, my mother and father both were diagnosed with terminal cancer, and the treatment received from the medical team of Renown Hospital has made me want to become a part of this team and give the comfort to those people just like my parents received.

Cons

When dealing with terminal people of many diseases, most go through stages of many different feelings, you as the caregiver have to realize that this person has the right to experience every feeling a person facing death does, most of the time you do come attached to these patients and it hurts each and every time that they are taken home to heaven. Then you know they are out of pain, and help the family come to realize this.

Advice to Management

I have had many years of working with the public, from cosmetology work to medical work, many people will react when different situations arise, you the professional need to know how to handle each and every situation, from giving smiles and hugs to and knowing when no words are necessary.

8. "RN, BSN"

Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - RN, Bsn in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's so large that there are plenty of jobs

Cons

Claims to be not for profit but feels like it's for profit.

Advice to Management

upper management should make the time to meet with regular staff here and there. There's a fear of getting fired when you speak up in our Dept and the moral is low.

9. "Very miserable toxic work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, we only work for money, no moral

Cons

Constant change and drama, goid pay will not last eventually every one gets forced out

Advice to Management

Listen to emoyees, recognize the valu of long-term emplyees

10. "CCT"

Current Employee - Critical Care Technician
    Current Employee - Critical Care Technician

I have been working at Renown Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Renown is a large company, but very spread out so it doesn't seem like they have 5,000+ employees. It is a youthful community of healthcare workers and I believe the care given is exceptional.

Cons

The company doesn't seem to be interested in meeting the top demand of paying their nurses more money to stay or even having contracts to help retain new hires. Nearly half of their RNs are travelers. The benefits are mediocre and charting seems to take priority over pt care.

"Leadership Issues Causing Organizational Problems"

I have been working at Renown Health full-time

Pros

Change in top leadership toward progressive transformation. Resources to do PR and public health positioning. Good intentions of the very top leadership. Motivated team of care providers (Drs, Nurses, Pt Contact teams). Well-intentioned and eager employees with positive attitudes capped by organizational management issues.

Cons

Lack of vision, leadership, courage and willingness to take action by key leadership besides 1-2 key leaders. Many in positions of potential change prioritize personal job security over organizational leadership, because that is how they got to where they are. Opportunities are avoided because dodging risk results in making non-decisions, avoiding potential risk, not making waves and managing symptoms of the organization instead of having the vision to see the big picture, solve for the long-term and have the courage to take action to fix the problem versus the symptoms. The result is poor recruitment, retention, job satisfaction, lack of confidence in leadership and the "sinking ship" scenario. Confirming symptoms include continuing loss of physician network, reduction in utilization of facilities, inconsistent procedure flow, divergence among admin and staff, management teams pressured to prioritize the corporate line over honest communication, sense of staff not feeling involved until disinterested, staffing instabilities and a general sense that all is not well and being covered by the fluffy PR campaigns.

Advice to Management

Shed those who don't have the courage to make positive action, look for the red flags of applicants who have climbed the corporate ladder by ensuring they did and will do nothing (risk avoidance), develop leadership among the leadership toward vision, action and bravery to focus on weaknesses as opportunities and not vulnerabilities to deny, create fertile ground to allow the transformation to take hold, grow and flourish. The Old Ways of healthcare management need to change.