Renown Health Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Renown Health President and CEO Dr. Anthony Slonim
Dr. Anthony Slonim

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great place for great people to do great work (in 11 reviews)

• Supports work life balance of all employees (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management has unrealistic expectations of their underlings (in 9 reviews)

• We are severely overworked and there is very high turnover which only brings extra work on to those of us who choose to stay (in 5 reviews)

1. "Expendible-of little significance when compared to an overall purpose, and therefore able to be abandoned"

Former Employee - Worked In OR in Reno, NV
    Former Employee - Worked In OR in Reno, NV

I worked at Renown Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Made a few friends? That's about it

Cons

When you accept a position with this company you are going to work really hard and take pride in what you do everyday, you can earn a reputation amongst your peers as a good hard worker, you can be well liked by everyone you have taken care of working here, and really make a difference in there lives.

Then, due to the constant changes in leadership someone new will come along with a job title that ranks them higher than you, and this person with a higher job title can decide they don't like you, suddenly you realize all of the hard work, al of the sacrifice, all of the years of service mean nothing, you will learn just how insignificant you really are.

Employees of this company truly are expendibles, I have never witnessed such a fire happy HR department and bullies allowed to reign the way they do in this company. It is not a good place to work, people are here today, gone tomorrow, no regard to the peoples lives and careers that are destroyed because of someones pride.

I resigned after 13 years, I've seen too much and it is sickening.

Advice to Management

You are doing a great job destroying the company

2. "First Exposure"

I worked at Renown Health full-time

Pros

Fair pay, good benefits, 401k, and plenty of perks. As well as friendly co workers

Cons

Vacation or personal time is hard to get, management isn't very friendly and more focused on punishment then on reward and encouragement, highly understaffed, employees treated poorly, poor documentation when it comes to repremanding employees. Travelers also seem to have recieve better treatment than the corporations own employees

Advice to Management

Better documentation and treatment of employees.

3. "Renown"

I have been working at Renown Health full-time

Pros

The teamwork and staff camaraderie is second to none. The team is the reason this place thrives.

Cons

Executives are doing great things by branching out, but they have forgotten how to really take care of what they already have.

Advice to Management

Take the time to focus on making sure your foundation and internal structures are solid prior to seeking additional ventures.

4. "Administrative Project Coordinator"

I worked at Renown Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities exist to expand job skills and increase compensation by lateral moves. Proactive, innovative thinking recognized. Leadership qualities at all levels appears to be appreciated by mid-management.

Cons

Must be highly self-motivated to get ahead. Cannot rely on H.R. or recruiting to find new opportunities for you, even when they claim they will. Develop your contacts and maintain good rapport. Never know when your relationships will stand you in good stead.

Advice to Management

Leaders, don't make empty promises. Rank and file will lose faith in you rapidly, and will learn not to trust. Be transparent, and when you can't for a good reason, be forthcoming to let us know that that is a confidence you can't share.

"RN"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was my first job after nursing school

Cons

Not a place I would plan to work longterm. They seem to have trouble retaining us nurses, thats because of the ridiculous number of patients one person is expected to care for. It is not safe, and as of yet I see no signs that anything will change.

We get tired of this environment pretty quick, and lose our motivation to perform our duties due to such high levels of stress.

Advice to Management

Im not fond of management on any level and would choose not to offer any advice in this section, I dont think any one is really going to take me serious.

6. "Director IT"

I worked at Renown Health full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits. Favors collaboration. Innovative in solutions to meet the communities health care needs. Supports work life balance of all employees.

Cons

Internal politics and policies can inhibit projects moving forward. Having consistent policies for all employees and positions creates alignment for all employees, but there should be some flexibility

"Lab"

Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Lab Assistant in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

pay is good for now..

Cons

I'm a new employee at la. And I hate that there's no help for new people since we're so short staffed.

Morning run is so way too much work for a couple of people and since pretty much everyone is running around. There's no one to help me if I need it or to train on different ways to do my job correctly and sufficiently. I was told that there was one girl from lab that worked graveyard that used to train new people but she quit ugh i wonder why!!!! I'm actively looking for another job as this job sucks and management is not helping as they ignore my request for help.

8. "Exciting place to work!"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost, I came to work on GSU and Renown because of the quality of the staff. I enjoy coming to work for the challenge and because of the people that make up our team.

Cons

I'd say the hours but that's status quo for RNs.

Advice to Management

Value your staff, and keep offering incentives to keep veteran RNs. I have gained the most insight from veteran nurses experience and advice.

9. "The Sinking Boat"

I have been working at Renown Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Trying to figure out how to fulfill this 20 character limit probably took longer than what’s to come. So since I have to say something, I would say the dress code is very lax and a lot of people don’t care and the view is nice a few months in the year.

Cons

Oh boy, get ready to enjoy this one with some popcorn and soda on the side. If you’re looking for a career setback in the early years of your development, this is the place for you. If you’re a director level or above and you’re excellent at doing nothing but fluffing, this is the place for you too. It’ll get you far enough so you probably won’t have to work very hard to fit into the culture here. But don’t expect to stay too long either. People are put on the chopping block every week so just watch your back. In the literal sense too, since there is tons of office politics here and this place is stricken with drama filled people who are too busy finding the easy way up instead of doing what they were hired to do.
    Which leads into my next point of hiring and promoting the wrong people…There’s a reason why there are more people leaving the company than joining. Even then, those who are joining after months are not well qualified enough for the roles and have no idea what they are doing. As a result of this, anyone who has to deal with the new people coming in, easily gets frustrated from fulfilling their own roles, but having to babysit and train another person (in many cases, one that is above their own). Many associate level employees are reaching farther up than they should and much of management is reaching lower than they should resulting in micromanagement or under developed associates in most cases. As there is a lack of structure, people are easily burnt out from having to bear not only their responsibilities, but that of 2 others without the appropriate recognition and compensation.
    There are exceptions though, don’t get me wrong. That is if you are a favorite with your manager or upper management/executives because you will get as far as the other side of the world if you are one of the selected chosen ones. One of the bigger issues here is having too many cooks in the kitchen. Everyone wants to have a say, even if they are not knowledgeable in the area and you best be ready to agree with whatever your boss says. That is the golden rule here. Don’t disagree and be ready to just act like a robot without any sense of a learning curve. There will also probably be many layers between you and the head of the company, but there will be no leader. Do not expect to be properly trained by anyone as they will throw you in and expect you to hit the ground running with absolutely no background. You’ll learn the definition of survival of the fittest here since there is no level of mentorship to guide you to success. Keep your expectations low and you will make it farther than most.
    Those who are still with the company are either staying until they find another boat to jump onto or they are just on cruise control in this sinking ship. People no longer want to be around each other as they once did; everyone works in their own world and keeps their distance. The degree of communication issues here is beyond belief. Don’t be surprised to find out you lose your team the day of or find out you have a new boss the day of. Everyone here works in isolation and seems to want to keep it that way.
    Now, the highlight of it all at this company – they cut resources and staff expecting the remaining people to support the workload with their decisions on the budget cuts that people who are involved had completely no say in. Their decisions to continue to invest in “leaders” at the company who has no idea on the minute details or execution is what is breaking the foundation of this company down. People are working with archaic systems and platforms that they don’t want to spend the time to update or invest the right people into changing. The executives themselves are a mess and trying to figure out how to fix this hole they dug themselves into and people are giving up. They’re tired of having to put up with it all and have zero respect when it comes to the critical decision making, but are expected to put up with the short end of the stick. The company has been too accustomed to looking at immediate ROI that it has lost sight of anything aside from that. As they are trying to figure out the strategy and direction in all areas of the business (creative/digital/marketing/etc.) everyone is forced to work blindly. To sum, the company is full of sheeps being herded by fake wolves.
    There are a few mentions that the location is nice, but honestly being on the edge of the city makes it difficult for many to commute to compared to the old offices at Midtown. That being said, be prepared when it comes to rainy, snowy, windy weather because you will be getting the extreme of both worlds when it is hot and freezing since the building is right by the water. Did I mention the food options? Cause honestly, that’s one of the most important matters of work life and the options here are nowhere near compared to midtown.
    Overall morale here is down the drain and you will feel it the very moment you decide to make the mistake of thinking things will magically turn around when you join.

TLDR; DON’T EVEN.

10. "Renown Health. A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Director in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Director in Reno, NV

I have been working at Renown Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Renown is focused on patient care and safety. Renown is a great place to work and a company that believes in taking care of it's employees.

Cons

Healthcare is in a shaky state due to the change in perspective for our current government. Renown is managing this beautifully.

Advice to Management

Always remember your team