Rent-A-Center Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Robert D. Davis

1. "Sales manager"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Calumet City, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Calumet City, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get Paid weekly and Sundays off.

Cons

You work long hours job only has one shift.

Advice to Management

Yes if you do your job well you can get promoted.

2. "Store Manager"

Current Employee - Store in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fair starting wage if you work 40 hours a week

Cons

you work about 60 hours a week

Advice to Management

Teach

3. "Not bad"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Schererville, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Schererville, IN

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    great schedule
    Great customers

Cons

Racist Co workers
    May take home roaches or bed bugs
    If u have sensitive skin do not apply

Advice to Management

Loves to take credit for everyone's work
    Sits on phone all day gossiping

"terrible"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well. I had to think, but really couldn't come up with anything. Keep in mind the stock is down to $17 a share from $36. That is alot folks. There are issues. RAC can't or won't change to stop the slide.

Cons

You will work 10/12 hour days. You will work EVERY Saturday. You WILL to into dirty scummy homes. You will deal with people who can't afford RAC, but do it anyway. Your DM will be a POS and will beat you down daily. RAC is a hood rat job folks. The expectations they set for your store will mostly be unreachable. The stock is down from 1.5 years $36 a share to $17. Hmmm.....why do you believe that is? RAC is a rip-off. They prey on the poor, and people who have very, very poor credit. But, people are stupid.

Advice to Management

OMG where to start. Stop taking benefits away like the match on 401K, the $100 spiff (where did THAT go)? Start paying your front-line employees (you remember, the ones who ACTUALLY work and make the money) livable wages. NOT $10-12 bucks an hour, but 15 - 17 to START. Stop lying to the employees, making promises you cannot, and knowingly will not keep, just to try to keep them. Try caring a little, even if you have to ACT like it. STOP the micromanaging. Your managers should be able to run a store and make $$$. Duh, that is suppossedly why you hire them.

"Mediocre the job was great but upper management was not"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Rensselaer, IN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Rensselaer, IN

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and good to be able to help people

Cons

Upper management only cares abou numbers and not effort they will fire you for anything

Advice to Management

Care more about your people and understand we can try but we can't fully control numbers

7. "10 years and still no respect."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in DeKalb, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in DeKalb, IL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Steady hours and consistent pay. Run of the mill benefits provided for you and family. Quick opportunity to rise up since turnover is so high.

Cons

They hang everything over your head. Always an "earn your chair" attitude every week. Obsession with unobtainable goals. Outdated sales practices that since the down turn of this company it has become more and more desperate to get people to use their services. Brute force telemarketing is the only sales approach they can think of with repeated "promotions" every 2-3 weeks.

Collections are another beast. And this company is struggling in our area to get people to pay their payments on time along with an increased amount of defaulted accounts that translate to less profit dollars.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter. They don't listen. You're a loser if you have anything to say against management. Stop complaining and start doing is what I hear. Even though you already are "doing". They will always find something stupid to accuse of your results. Rarely any praise for good.

8. "Only the Strong Survive!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Pay! Paid Every Fridays. Good Benefits! Great Coworkers

Cons

They expect soo much of you if you are working in a big store! In a small store you get frown upon if you don't close accounts!
    No worklife management. Be lucky if you can take a break!

Advice to Management

Hire More People especially in big locations. for accounts that 700-1000 There should be literally 5 people in the store, every day!

9. "Account manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Meet interesting people pay kinda OK

Cons

Work you like a dog blamed for everything

Advice to Management

Think about others

"Time managment is key"

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Aurora, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Aurora, IL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Atmosphere to work in. Have a lot of hands on experience working 1 on 1 with customers. Direct and indirect sales. Looks great On Resume

Cons

Long Hours, expect to work every Saturday.

Advice to Management

Become more involved. Give your employers the opportunity to be seen and heard. Give your employee's a change of pace give them a weekend off, rotating weekends would be nice.

11. "It's a Job...."

Current Employee - Employee in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - Employee in Hammond, IN

Pros

You can make a reasonable amount of money to get on your feet if your not already. Some customers and coworkers are very delightful... The ONLY valuable pros which kept me there over 5 years.

Cons

The challenges which exists shouldn't be challenges at all, but unfortunately the company does not focus on lower management enough to cease most demoralizing behaviors within the regions/districts of stores. The challenges which exists seem without defeat.
    Kinda like not going home until 10PM in a snowstorm because a salaried manager who 'was off' that day couldn't assist a coworker with the towing of a company van which had been towed on a delivery made over 10 miles from the store location... This is one challenge an employee should not have deal with. Especially while it was only one employee in the store...
    Not to mention, it takes a lot of time to set up cell phone service for some customers. I don't work for Net10, not getting paid extra anything from Net10, so I feel used up when I spend lots of time on activating service for a company I DON'T work for. I work for RAC, and getting paid from RAC, not Net10. This is why I'm leaving... In a nutshell.
    I'd rather work for a company which pays you for the work that you do, and after 5+ years, I've stalemated, and still in the SAME position doing managerial duties. I've coulda done so much more. If you do chose to work here, don't let time pass you by before realizing you could've done so much more even with less pay.

Advice to Management

Upper management is the problem, and it's best to listen to VALUABLE employees about the work conditions and behaviors of the co-workers who feel coerced not to go straight to HR. This company loses a lot of VALUABLE employees and seem to keep the ones only wanting to get a check. Stop letting managers push work on employees who actually give a care so they won't feel burned out as I am beginning to feel. If so, then pay us more. I would've liked to stay at this company if advancement was actually in fruition, but if a manager needs you, they need you. No matter how long, you'll stay an assistant manager to the needy manager forever.

Showing 24 of 1,207 reviews