Rent-A-Center Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Speese

Cons

1. "An overly stressful experience"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Hampton, VA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a manager, the only positive experience was the profit partner plan. By having a million dollar location, the financial rewards were quite lucrative for a majority of my time there. Your experience will rely heavily on the quality of your staff, as well as the relationship with your district manager.

Cons

I didn't voluntarily come to work for RAC. Was part of a corporate buy out of a smaller regional family owned firm in the Virginia/North Carolina area. It was a drastically different experience. Went from a positive and welcoming environment whose main focus was on providing the customer with a great experience, good products, concise service, and working with them from a collections standpoint to help them succeed. The culture at Rent a Center was one of fear and antagonism for both the employees and the customer base. The only thing that was important to them was following some inane arbitrary metrics that included numbers of deliveries and collection closes. My experience included 6 day 60-70 hour weeks, and being threatened and micromanaged by an inept district manager not worthy of his position.

Advice to Management

The only advice I can offer to a potential manager candidate is to be very careful if you're going to base the reason of your employment on the temptation of compensation alone. Rent to own is a tough business which isn't for everyone, and RAC makes it all the more unpalatable with how they implement their culture and metrics. RAC is suffering as compared to their competitors because they haven't focused on what is most important-customer gain and profit. Because of several years of mismanagement with this clumsy approach, their results have been substandard for quite sometime. My 35 year experience suggests that a sale of the company is in the not too distant future, or they 'll have to close their doors due to their lack of financial health.

2. "Too Many Wasted Years"

Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Saratoga Springs, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Store Manager in Saratoga Springs, NY

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay at the management level is at or above comparable retail.

Cons

This job was an absolute drain on my existence. Shame on me for staying as long as I did, but as one savvy multi-unit manager put it, hard to take off the golden handcuffs. Since I left the company's stock has gone in the toilet, and I can't fathom that working conditions have improved.

Advice to Management

Go back to the roots and focus on your team. Wage structure has only gone down in the last 10 years, never up. You get what you pay for. Try measuring by real metrics instead of pandering to shareholders.

3. "assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Decatur, GA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Decatur, GA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay isn't that bad, some of the coworkers are great, a small section of the customers are great also,

Cons

No quality of life, long hours, store manager doesn't help out, a million tasks in one day, which is impossible to complete, it's not for a family person

Advice to Management

Take care of your workers, no family time because of the closing of the business at 7:30 or 8:00 pm kids are already sleep

4. "Worst hiring experience/Working experience ever."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in New Haven, CT

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Connecting with people, teamwork, and being creative to get the Job done

Cons

Travel
    Lots of work for little pay
    No over time

Advice to Management

Be more specific about the job during the hiring process not after someone is hired.

"HORRIBLE!!!"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Opelika, AL
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Opelika, AL

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay is decent, closed on sundays, that's really about it everything else is a con and would not advise to work here.

Cons

Management sucks!! Be prepared to work in horrible areas deal with bed bugs, roaches rats and nasty houses make delivers by yourself on top of that store managers (opelika store) sucks!!!

Advice to Management

Take a close look at how store managers are managing and maintaining your stores

"Never again."

Former Employee - Store Manager in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Consistent hours and schedule (for hourly employees)

Cons

Work every Saturday
    Poor work life balance
    Unrealistic expectations
    Out of touch management from the District Manager level and up
    Actively encouraged to screw the customer to the benefit of the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. We are here to serve the customer and their needs. What they need isn't always what the company needs and that's ok.

"IMT Administrator"

Former Employee - IMT Administrator in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IMT Administrator in Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for them 15 years and up until the last 4-5 years it was a stable company with hiring within and salaries good. It also gave me a sense of pride working for them.

Cons

Company tried to implement to many new things at one time. Did not focus on any one thing. Started to hire mostly from outside for promotion jobs. To many managers and above.Stocks tanked and took a lot of money out of our 401's.

Advice to Management

Start to hire and promote from within again. Try to go back to what makes the business grow by believing in your stores and employees. Get rid of some of the top heavy managers and above. Look at your employees as humans and assets to your team.

"Stressful Environment"

Former Contractor - Software Developer in Plano, TX
    Former Contractor - Software Developer in Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart and hard working developers work here

Cons

Management doesn't listen to programmers

Advice to Management

Give more positive input to employees not just negative when things go wrong

"Never work here"

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Belle Vernon, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Belle Vernon, PA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is not a single pro besides closed on holidays and sundays

Cons

The company does nothing but disrespect its workers. You do your job everyday and still get told you're useless and don't do your job. This company has the highest turnover. Worked there for 4 years and had 6 managers. They physically and mentally drain you. You have no personal life outside of work. I've seen people get divorced or end up ill from this place. And the customers and situations they point you in are extremely dangerous. They tell you to suck it up and get over it. But meanwhile your coworkers can sit there and do nothing all day, and management doesn't bat an eye. You have to be a favorite there in order to keep your job. Doesn't matter how well you perform. They don't care about the customer either. Just care about hitting their sales and numbers. You are just a number to them.

Advice to Management

I have none. Just find a better place to work for your better well being

10. "Sales manager"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time

Pros

Opportunity to network and me different types of customers from different walks of life. There is good pay. Not enough training

Cons

0 opportunity of work-life balance also a two-person team can't necessarily get things done with the hours expected you are to work

Advice to Management

Review your DM Shadow them get actual reviews of what the employees are going through at a store level in the company will see increased productivity and retention of employees.

Showing 299 of 1,233 reviews