Rent-A-Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark Speese

1,309 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Rent-a-Center...Repo a Center... and Rent A Center again...LOL!"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbus, GA

Pros

You make good money and you get paid every week. The work atmosphere is very close knit depending on the store size the employees normally work as team.

Cons

Work Long Hours, Work is very takes a toll on the body, and making numbers can be very stressful.

Advice to Management

Stop targeting low income people by offering "false hopes" of owning completely overpriced products and merchandise.

2. "Best job yet; for my type."

Current Employee - Account Manager Or "CAR" in Murfreesboro, TN
    Current Employee - Account Manager Or "CAR" in Murfreesboro, TN

Pros

You have to be a certain kind of person probably to feel good about doing this job. I spent a lot of time in call centers and retail management. I really truly almost didn't realize how close working the call centers were to making suicidal before it was almost too late! When I ran a retail store afterwards I felt much better but didn't have the job security I wanted. After nine months of looking for work I found RAC and dove in head first. I haven't been there long and it could just be the fact I found work that has me "high", but so far I feel VERY HAPPY about the job. I've never said that before! The work is varied enough I don't get bored and I feel that RAC offers people a chance to own nice things that otherwise wouldn't afford them.

There are also many other reasons to rent from RAC like a short term and inexpensive rent for those who might need equipment for a special project or meeting. To me, RAC seems upfront and comfortable with displaying total costs and break down to weekly payments right on each product. You also never lose money when you rent at RAC. In my store we have to repossess the product if you miss payments but if you intend to rent to own you will never lose money. For example if you've paid $400 toward a tv and we have to take it back, we will apply the total amount when you can resume payments. RAC really lets you start right back where you left off. Over all it's fair and upfront business. Unfortunately some folks come in and choose to rent more than they can afford. They tend to try and keep our stuff when they've agreed to return it upfront if they weren't able to pay the rent. I make it a friendly point to mention It's a felony to do this while drawing up the rental agreement. (TN)

Cons

The truth is, renting as a customer or working here as an employee works for some people, and just doesn't for others. For me I'm thankful to have found the income I need to stay where I love to be. It's been a nice surprise that I actually enjoy the work too. Yeah it's sweaty, but I'm gonna be fit! My energy has already increased! Just take advantage of the observation day. This will give you a decent idea if it's a good fit for you.

Advice to Management

You hired me. You're on a roll!

"Great opportunity"

Former Employee - District Manager in Round Lake Beach, IL
    Former Employee - District Manager in Round Lake Beach, IL

Pros

Great company to work for, and work up within the company if your talented and perform.

Cons

Alot of hours required 48-50hrs per week, but with that comes 2 paid weeks of vacation a year and major holidays off.

Advice to Management

RAC offers a great opportunity to young , smart , motivated people, keep it up.

4. "4 years of professional growth"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Plano, TX

Pros

Corporate office is a nice campus that fosters collaboration amongst peers - within IT at least - which is over 125 workers. They do a great job of exploring and adopting new technologies and have a mgmt group that listens to their workers. Though the company doesn't officially allow work from home, they're pretty good about compensating your time for extra work after hours/weekends. Pay was also very competitive in IT dept.

Cons

Dress code is business casual all week. 401k is only 1:1 match to 3 percent and only vests 20% per year (so match is 100% vested after 5 years). Cube walls are low making personal privacy challenging.

Advice to Management

Don't lose site of the larger picture of IT as a collective group and give in to competing against one another - which builds walls and breeds dysfunction. I saw this from time to time and felt that it compounded progress.

5. "Paid well for work done"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Pros

Off on Sundays 2weeks vacation good insurance
    Opened at ten am closed at seven good job for people with restaurant
    Back ground

Cons

Work week for managers was six days
    A lot of pressure comes from bosses
    Only as good As the last set of numbers you hit

Advice to Management

Stop handing down things from home office
    Do a better job at talking to your employes and letting
    Them talk without fear

6. "Productive"

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

I enjoy the pay, benefits, and discounts. To have so few requi|.}\rements for such a great benefits package is nearly unheard of with just a high school diploma. If your interested in this industry, Rent a center is the the best in the business. Every Sunday off is nice too.

Cons

If you are someone with "a life", this job may not be for you. You work between 10-11 hours a day and that doesnt leave much time for an extensive personal life,

Advice to Management

The management, from my experience has done an excellent job communicating and working towards improvement. Upbeat attitudes and personalities are a bonus .

7. "like it"

Current Employee - Credit Account Representative in Abilene, TX
    Current Employee - Credit Account Representative in Abilene, TX

Pros

i like the job a lot great hours and benefits all around could not ask for anythingbetter

Cons

nothing bad to say it is a great company im glad to be working there

Advice to Management

nohing

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Lexington, KY

Pros

Definite room for advancment for motivated worker

Cons

Work can be hard on hot/cold days if you are delivering
    Long hours

9. "A very postiive experience that has allowed me to grow as a person, as a leader, and in my career."

Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Plano, TX

Pros

Fast-paced, people-friendly, great people, great customers, customer service oriented, self-developing, extreme rapid career advancement, fun environment, it is a company that cares about people!

Cons

You have to get your hands dirty initially.

10. "RAC is a great job with tons of advancement"

Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Niles, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Account Representative in Niles, OH

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good pay, great coworkers, room for tons of advancement, freedom to be on the road and not stuck behind a desk all day. pay raise every 6 months, employee purchase option is amazing, 401k ( 4 years in company and got $8,000 already) health benefits, 2 weeks of vacation a year, holidays off, sick time annually, a corporate office that gets things done correctly and efficientlly.

Cons

some deliveries can be challenging, and some customers might not be the friendliest. their is no accountability in the company.

Advice to Management

start holding employees accountable, and rewarding the good employees instead of giving everyone raises every 6 months make them earn the raises.

Showing 1,309 of 1,320 reviews