Rent-A-Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mark Speese

1,223 Employee Reviews

Cons

"Think Long & Hard before going here"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

If you have no life outside of work and never want any time for yourself or family then this is the job for you. The company as a whole may not be a bad company -- however -- every location within a 50 mile radius that I went to were ALL the same.

Cons

You will not receive any time at home. Your family is not allowed to come before this work place. The manager I had, allowed unfair treatment of employees as well as EXTREME unprofessional atmosphere. There were numerous sexual comments made between employees and they were not once repremanded for it. There was drug use in this facility and the manager was known to be a part of it.

Advice to Management

Take closer look at the people you have running your stores -- their levels of true competence -- drop in without preparing them for your visit to see what really goes on there.

"A diplorable, 'last-chance' company for the desperate..."

Former Employee - Region Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Region Manager in Birmingham, AL

Pros

None. Only the desperate would consider this industry. 6 day workweeks and no time off begin your journey followed by long hours and constant beat-downs from management. Then comes the exciting part: attempting to collect past due balances on rental furniture given to the lowest of the low, in some of the most dangerous, third-world type nieghboorhoods you can imagine.

Cons

'Thugs' in management, high expectations, unsavory clientele, zero HR assistance, 6 day workweek, hostile environment, dirty conditions, dangerous nieghboorhoods where you chase payments or merchandise on a weekly basis, heavy lifting expected of all employees, unsavory co-workers who will steal anything, etc....

Advice to Management

Fire all management and start over from scratch...

3. "Assistant Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager

Pros

The pay is OK for what you have to do. The benefits are OK as well. Easy job for the money.

Cons

Would not suggest this employer to anyone. The manager has an IQ of a rock and the work/life balance is non existent.

Advice to Management

Go back to dipping fries and flipping burgers buddy. This is 2009 and the way a manager is suppose to present himself to his employees is a lot different than it was in 1986.

"Be Aware you have no life if you work here."

Current Employee - Store Manager in Cartersville, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Cartersville, GA

Pros

Decent salary for only HS education required. Benefits package is competitive. Good advancement from Account Manager level to Store Manager Level.

Cons

Long Hours, No recognition, Reverse Discrimination, Advancement very limited after store manager. District manager turnover excessive. In the 10 years I worked for the company I had 10 district managers in the same region. Company concentrates too much on credit standards which hinders our ability to grow. However, when we managers voice this they say we are only making excuses.

Advice to Management

Stop threatening your managers jobs and start supporting them. Take some of their advice they are on the front line. Increase the Saturday close standard to 6.9 to allow for growth.

5. "Do All The Work, Get None of the Credit"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Thomasville, NC
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Thomasville, NC

Pros

Consistent Paycheck - No Worries on your hours being reduced

Cons

Bad hours - 9:30am - 8:00pm
    Bad Management
    Nothing is ever praised

Advice to Management

Incorporate some mandatory training for ALL position's
    Get more involved in the stores
    Terming Matrix is broken.
    Physical Condition should not determine product condition (you forgot about internal components).

6. "Don't waste your time"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Albertville, AL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Albertville, AL

Pros

Decent pay, my office had great coworker and a great manager when I first started, but that quickly ended when the manager resigned. The new manager was a total prick. He insulted my coworkers and myself and had no care for whatever family any one had.

Cons

Management, wages, benefits, repossessions, terrible work vehicles, extreme hours for the type of job, and las but not least they say they care about family but did not show it in the office I worked out of.

Advice to Management

Hire people that actually care about their employees, and stop letting them ruin everyones family lives by putting the business first. We work to live; not the other way around.

7. "No Family Time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheyenne, WY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cheyenne, WY

Pros

You never have to work sundays, you start at a decent pay rate, benefits are ok compared to a lot of other places.

Cons

You never really know what time you are getting off of work. Just because you are scheduled to be off at a certain time it doesn't mean you will be walking out the door anywhere close to that time. The time you get off depends on how your performed that day. If you didn't have good credit numbers then you will be out at night knocking on doors trying to repo or collect rent. There is nothing people who are down on their luck hate more than someone knocking at their door at 8pm. Especially after you have been calling them all day. When you go out to deliver you have to remember who your customer base is. 95% of the houses and trailers I went into were disgusting. I will never forget the smell of some of these places for as long as I live. They promote quickly so keep in mind just because someone performs their job duty well doesn't mean they have an business managing people. You will find most of the management is incompetent. I am not a bitter ex-coworker I left the company on my own terms. I just wish I knew these things before I started. If you can stick it out and perform well you can move up quicker just be ready not to have ANY spare time.

Advice to Management

Train your management on how to treat their people. I have seen a lot of people come and go in this company simply because they were treated poorly. I believe you could cut your high turnover in half just by giving your managers people skills.

8. "Wish i Didnt take the job"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Middle River, MD
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Middle River, MD

Pros

get new merchandise and pay with paycheck weekly.
    get to see new merchandise from companies

Cons

no work life balance, work long hours and still want more. company was closed due to state of emergency and they expected us to work our day off and wouldnt pay us for the day.

Advice to Management

appreciate what your employees do and they will give you 110 % how about more incentives for customer account reps. Bonuses for assistants.

9. "Job offer was deceiving!"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wayne, MI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Wayne, MI

Pros

Rapid advancement. Fresh new faces to look forward to because of high turn over.

Cons

Extremely stressful. No respect as a person. Little to no involvement from corporate. Lacks personality and coworker innovation.

Advice to Management

Rebirth starts with the mission statement and the company core values; Respect for all people including coworkers. Respect them, they are your greatest asset even more so when they are loyal.

"the worst place to work"

Current Employee - Credit Manager in Van Nuys, CA
    Current Employee - Credit Manager in Van Nuys, CA

Pros

you get every sunday off

Cons

long hours at will company never good enough no matter how good of a job you do...

Advice to Management

go f*$k yourselves

Showing 1,223 of 1,233 reviews