Rent-A-Center Reviews | Glassdoor

1,211 Employee Reviews

"IMT Administrator"

Former Employee - IMT Administrator in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - IMT Administrator in Plano, TX

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for them 15 years and up until the last 4-5 years it was a stable company with hiring within and salaries good. It also gave me a sense of pride working for them.

Cons

Company tried to implement to many new things at one time. Did not focus on any one thing. Started to hire mostly from outside for promotion jobs. To many managers and above.Stocks tanked and took a lot of money out of our 401's.

Advice to Management

Start to hire and promote from within again. Try to go back to what makes the business grow by believing in your stores and employees. Get rid of some of the top heavy managers and above. Look at your employees as humans and assets to your team.

"Don't do it."

Former Employee - Manager In Training in West Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in West Hartford, CT

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I don't believe I can bring one good thing to the table about RAC. They are closed on major hollidays maybe?

Cons

You are married to your job. Expect long work day's and no weekends off. They are closed on Sunday, but Friday and Saturday are mandatory. Expect to lift heavy furniture and major apliances up and down flights of stairs and in to small apartments. Expect to enter filthy living conditions inside some of these apartments. Expect to touch filthy mattresses and furniture sometimes laden with bed bugs, pet wast, and human DNA on it. Expect to relentlessly hound people for money. Expect to relentlessly "cold call" people to try and get them to rent more stuff with current promotions. Expect to work for an ungreatful boss (mine went by the nickname LB). Expect to be denied if you ask to get out early to attend family functions. Expect to be driving arround all day trying to repo crappy overpriced furniture and electronics from people who stopped making payments on their crappy overpriced furniture and appliances. Expect to be overworked, underpaid, and utterly feel like a slave to ungreatful people in upper management. All and all, don't say I didn't warn you. I gave six long months of my life to this company. Six long months too many.

Advice to Management

Get a real Job.

3. "I felt like all I did was harass my customers because of they way we had to make cold and collection calls."

Former Employee - Sale Assistant Manager in Chambersburg, PA
    Former Employee - Sale Assistant Manager in Chambersburg, PA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There can be opportunities to move up in the company.

Cons

The number of cold calls and the way they make you call people seems like all you do is harass them and spend all day on the phone. The collection calls can be even worst because you are calling people the day they are due like they never pay their bill and if they are late you literally call multiple times a day.

Advice to Management

STOP HARASSING YOUR CUSTOMERS! I'm now a customer and I almost want to just give up my stuff and go to Aaron's rather than deal with the calls I receive even though my account says do not call.

5. "Overall"

Former Employee - General Manager in Ponca City, OK
    Former Employee - General Manager in Ponca City, OK

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a GM you can receive a decent monthly bonus which adds to your quality of life.And you will meet some very nice folks working at the company.

Cons

Credit and collections is a huge issue,especially with the current economic downturn in the country.Most customers are decent people and are having financial problems with things going up and wages not.Hard for folks who have merch to make payments on time after paying for a year and encountering hardship.This forces returns and pick-ups.

Advice to Management

Ease credit standards somewhat to help customers and store staff from losing business.

6. "Currently full time store manager of Hastings mi been there 5 years"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hastings, MI
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hastings, MI

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time

Pros

Great pay, benefits, employee purchases, great staff and good work environment.

Cons

Long days, and sometimes forced to work your day off

Advice to Management

allow more time off for management and conworkers to spend with family

7. "Assistant manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dover, DE
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Dover, DE

I have been working at Rent-A-Center (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with and good pay

Cons

Hustle and bustle very stressful

Advice to Management

Care more about your peoples well being and not only the numbers, be more realistic with your expectations

8. "Customer account rep"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muscle Shoals, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Muscle Shoals, AL

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay rate and raises are frequent, benefits are wonderful

Cons

Management horrible, no life outside of work due to the hours, no one works together, don't have a good system set up, policy not followed

Advice to Management

Start from scratch with policy and procedures

"Never work here"

Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Belle Vernon, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Sales Manager in Belle Vernon, PA

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is not a single pro besides closed on holidays and sundays

Cons

The company does nothing but disrespect its workers. You do your job everyday and still get told you're useless and don't do your job. This company has the highest turnover. Worked there for 4 years and had 6 managers. They physically and mentally drain you. You have no personal life outside of work. I've seen people get divorced or end up ill from this place. And the customers and situations they point you in are extremely dangerous. They tell you to suck it up and get over it. But meanwhile your coworkers can sit there and do nothing all day, and management doesn't bat an eye. You have to be a favorite there in order to keep your job. Doesn't matter how well you perform. They don't care about the customer either. Just care about hitting their sales and numbers. You are just a number to them.

Advice to Management

I have none. Just find a better place to work for your better well being

10. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Laid back time, Get to be on the road, meet people. Raises every 6 months after 3 months probabtion. Print out W2s for taxes on work computer. (No waiting on mail.) Paid weekly. Ok benefits and discounts on store merchandise.

Cons

Sales quotas (its an issue if you don't but you have to be good at something), either you good at collections(retrieving the merchandise back or make them pay for the rent). Long hours if you have an outside life. I worked from 8 to 7pm. Moving up in the company depends on if there's a spot opened in your store. If there's an opening in another store then you have to transfer to that store for that position.

Advice to Management

Try to keep employees close to home. Appreciate a little more than pointing fingers at employees.

"Changes are needed from top down"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Rent-A-Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Weekly pay, co workers, and some customers. Can be a great job if made simple with rent and collect

Cons

Hours, constantly complaining about what you didn't do today. No positive reinforcement what so ever. Only cares about today, no forward vision shared with store staff if it's even thought of.

Advice to Management

Work with realistic goals. stop the money in the bank sales. Each district or two should have a trainer that visits stores every month. Prices are killing the business. Paid off customers are not coming back as much because we price way too high. Maybe stretch 90 day same as cash. Give more exclusive deals to existing good customers. Robert Davis being gone is a step in the right direction. Cut out some of the top heavy salaries to help be competitive. Most definitely need a new purchase staff. Store cost for products are the same as retail prices and some are even higher especially video games and computers. Purchase power should be better if company sticks with one or two vendors.

Showing 1,211 of 1,221 reviews