RentPath Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
RentPath President and Chief Executive Officer Marc Lefar
Marc Lefar

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great work/life balance; no toxic manager relationships" (in 19 reviews)

• "flexible work from home schedule" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management played favorites" (in 25 reviews)

• "Good sales people don't always equate to being good managers" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Sr. Web Developer"

Current Employee - Web Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at RentPath (More than a year)

Pros

Work culture is really good

Cons

No cons at all everything is perfect

Sep 17, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. We appreciate the positive comments about our culture and will keep working to attract and retain top talent.

2. "End User Support Specialist"

Current Employee - End User Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - End User Support Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at RentPath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and work environment. Pay is very competitive.

Cons

None to speak of at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Sep 18, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. We appreciate your enthusiasm and support. Welcome to RentPath and thank you for being part of transformation at work.

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at RentPath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You can make good money.

Cons

You are threatened with your job consistently.

Sep 11, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. It’s disappointing to hear that you wouldn’t recommend the company, despite the opportunity to convert sales into a healthy income... More

"Good company with pros and cons"

I have been working at RentPath full-time

Pros

Can be a great company to work with depending on your department or manager. Good benefits and the company is focused on improving performance.

Cons

Some departments have seen attrition due to management. Company performance has taken a hit due to competition.

Sep 9, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. We appreciate your positive comments about the company. We are making enormous progress in our quest to delight consumers and... More

"Used to be a great company"

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at RentPath full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Home office, flexible schedule, great benefits.

Cons

Upper management does not foster team work environment. When issues arose and proper channels were taken to address the issue with upper management....the managers ignored the issues and nothing got resolved. Upper management played favorites. If you weren't a favorite you were micromanaged and constantly questioned. Local management needed MUCH more training on actually being a manager. Good sales people don't always equate to being good managers. Commission structure was constantly changing as well, which made it really difficult to budget.

Advice to Management

Truly be an impartial judge. Stop playing favorites. Treat ALL customers fairly and be honest with them.

Aug 27, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. We regret that your impression of RentPath changed over time. That sometimes happens when an organization innovates and adopts a... More

"Sales executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at RentPath full-time

Pros

Awsome team to work with. Flexible schedule

Cons

Where do I start?! The past 2 years have been terrible. This company was amazing before and we all loved our job ! Now no communication from upper management the quartley call that is pointless with lack of any information. The commission plan is beyond terrible this is why the company has lost so many amazing and talented reps the past year! Don't get paid a flat rate to do service when it's over half of our job to try to keep people. Upper management needs has no clue what is going on in the markets and never ask the reps that perform. Please open your eyes and ears instead of assuming what is going on! Raise salary's and change commission before everyone leaves!

Advice to Management

Listen to all employees pleaseand don't pick "the favorite's". Change comp plan to keep people and raise salary's! Make Rentpath great again like it was before!

Sep 20, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Glassdoor. It’s true that some sales reps have moved on during our transformation; change isn’t for everyone. The compensation plan changed to reward selling... More

"Losing valuable employees due to mismanagement."

I worked at RentPath full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While at RentPath, I had the opportunity to work with some truly amazing individuals. I made lifelong friendships and business connections. The office is centrally located and parking/commuting options were great. My department was fine, but not great.

Cons

The sheer amount of drama, subterfuge, and deceit is amazing. I had many colleagues file HR complaints against their director -- nothing happened. Their department was full of angst and agitation simply because the supervisor was unpredictable and left unchecked for so long. This person did not treat their team with respect, but rather ruled the department with fear. They gave minimal direction and expected perfection, even after repeatedly changing directives under too-tight timelines. Unreasonable expectations all around. Sometimes this person would sign off on something, only to berate their employees when someone else expressed criticism. It was a wholly unpleasant experience even working with this person from another department. So many talented people have been driven out, let go, or simply left without anything to fall back on because the environment is so toxic.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your HR complaints. If one person has multiple people complaining about them, there's something to it. The people that report to him or her might not feel comfortable saying anything because THEY ARE AFRAID FOR THEIR JOBS. It's absurd. Honestly. To anyone looking to work here: don't do it. There are places where you will be appreciated. This is not that place.

Sep 14, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. We appreciate the positive things you had to say about your colleagues. We agree that the wrong supervisor can negatively impact... More

"Management Plays Favorites and The Blame Game"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at RentPath (More than a year)

Pros

The co-workers I had the priveledge to work with there. Outside of the management levels and a few people who were hired in the vein of being clones of management, the people I had the privilege to work with there are by far some of the smartest and most ambitious people I have met to this day. They were a joy to work with.

Cons

Where to start? There are so many things.
    On the work environment - You sit in an open environment, approximately 2 feet from your neighbor.
    The floors are loud and there are never enough conference rooms for meetings. This would be tolerable if they actually allowed telecommuting days or some other way to escape the noise, however, they like to waffle back and forth on these as well.

Speaking of things that your manager will more than likely waffle on:
    The leadership teams are horrible at setting goals, and when they do the metrics are not based on any reality or research that I have been able to find. It is typically numbers that management has pulled out of thin air, for metrics that they cannot explain to you. This includes deadlines of the likes of 'finish this in one month' for a project that has been attempted previously and taken others over two years to get it to a half-finished state.

If you bring up concerns about these 'goals' then you will be told that is the way it is and you can do it or not. So be prepared to either work 80 hour weeks to get something half done.

Management is all about face time here. If you're not sitting at your desk, to them, you aren't working.

On top of all this, prepare to be gaslit by your manager, anything and everything that you do will be wrong, even if you have done exactly what they have said. They will attempt to convince you that you are the absolute worst employee they have ever seen, and then proceed to put every failure from your entire group on your head. Whether or not you had anything to do with it.

Teams are also driven by people who have little care for things that they don't find 'interesting' - whether or not they actually bring value to the company. These individuals also tend to not have a background in what they are managing a team for and no care to actually learn how to do it properly, either on their own or from their employees.

Seniority is given to people with flashy names on their resumes and MBAs, or how long they've been with the company, not people who have worked in the field before. Being with the company for a long time is not always a proxy for actually being good at what you do either.

Diversity - there is very little and what there was are being chased out by the company. It's becoming more and more difficult for anyone from a minority group to get anything done or promoted.

Advice to Management

Hire management and leadership for actual skill, promote people for actual skill, not just for time served.

HR needs to stop caring about responding to the reviews on this site in a passive-aggressive manner and focus on actually doing their job of making the place a decent work environment. For Example:
    - Stop stacking people on top of each other in the office.
    - When people come to you for advice don't go tattle tale to their managers and create an even more hostile work environment.
    - Train management on how to create reasonable and achievable goals.

Management themselves need to stop hiring people that look exactly like them, dress like them and all around think like them. Diversity is important and the lack of it there really is telling on how well the company is actually doing.

Stop running your salespeople through the coals. There is 0 communication with them until the last minute on changes that usually affect their pay, take care of them and train them more thoroughly than a week in the office. It takes way longer than that to simply know the convoluted systems they are required to learn. Much less all the random products that have been created and never retired.

Sep 14, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Glassdoor. Thanks also for the positive comments about your super talented colleagues. Some of the things you reference such as an open work environment are... More

"On the wrong path"

I have been working at RentPath full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great coworkers. Centrally located in Buckhead with direct access to Marta. Lots of opportunities to volunteer in the community (employees are provided with 3 volunteer days per year)

Cons

Sales:
    Lack of support for sales employees. Sales employees are vital to this organization and are highly undervalued. Frequent changes to the commission/compensation plans make it less favorable for anyone in a sales role.

Corporate office:
    Low morale in the corporate office due to many layoffs and micromanagement. Ineffective performance review competencies. Merit increases were very late and not well communicated. Outdated PTO policies make it hard to take time off and use all available hours in a year (ETO does not roll over). Employee benefits and technology programs are extremely lacking for a digital company. No options for telecommuting except for IT department.

Advice to Management

Lack of leadership is a problem. This leads to virtually no communication other than redundant scripted quarterly town hall meetings.
    HR department needs to be realigned. HR should be a leader in change in any organization and it is the complete opposite at RentPath. The chief human resource role has been vacant for a year. HR implemented several new software programs but did not provide adequate communication about the changes and features.
    RentPath has lost a lot of market share due to having inferior products. Providing more guidance and openness will go a long way, although a lot of competitors with better tools are available for consumers.

"Absence of Leadership"

Former Employee - Product in Buckhead, GA
    Former Employee - Product in Buckhead, GA

I worked at RentPath full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a good number of very talented individual contributors at RentPath. These individuals are very smart, have fantastic ideas and collaborate well. The office space is somewhat nice but a very open concept.

Cons

As the title suggests, leadership is nowhere to be found. You can find managers of things and of people, but you will be hard pressed to find a true leader within that organization. They do exist, but they are hard to find and are often-times limited in their exposure because they are good at leading by example.

You need to send your management team to leadership training such as the Modern Servant Leader summit. I enjoy reading and listening to Ken Blanchard when he describes in more details the meaning behind quotes such as “We works a lot better than me.” and “Profits are the applause you get for taking care of your people.”.

As someone who is reading this review, just know this…once you are in the cog, don’t worry about your career. It’s dead on arrival! The management at RentPath doesn’t concern themselves with such things as performance reviews. The organization, as a whole, completed far less than 50% of employee reviews after the completion deadline. Also, on that subject, please ask HR, when you have your first phone screen, when performance reviews will be and who will have your back when your manager doesn’t follow up or complete their end of the process. If it’s anything less than silence, then you know specifically you are being lied to.

If RentPath will treat their existing employees that poorly, what makes you think they are not going to treat you the same. Please take the time, research the company, read these reviews for what they are worth and make an investment into yourself prior to jumping in blind.

All companies have warts and all companies have their fair share of problems, but this company has a toxic culture and environment because HR has allowed this to happen. The CEO has a saying “See something, say something”. Don’t, that’s all I’ll say.

Advice to Management

Seriously invest in training your leadership. No…seriously. I get misty just thinking about how management has mistreated some current/former employees.

Change your strategy. Customers can get leads anywhere these days; build, buy or acquire tools that will ensure your partnership with your paying customers. Invest heavily in these areas since you haven’t invested anything in the past 3 to 4 years.

Stop with all of the internal Sales promos. If your products are competitive in the market, they will sell. The poor sales team is so confused on the incentive structure they can’t focus. They also aren’t compensated in line with competitive products in the market, so, there’s that.

There are a lot more things I could and would say, but you wouldn’t listen anyway. You need to turn your management into leadership. You do that, you will see the morale become positive, you will see more employee engagement and you will start to see positive impacts to your bottom line. I’m sure the board is most interested in that last one.

Aug 31, 2018 – Director, Communications

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Glassdoor. We appreciate the nice things you had to say about your former colleagues and the work space. We also appreciate some of the more... More