Republic Bank & Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chuck R. Thompson

1. "Republic is a great bank, but the lockbox department needs a little help."

Former Employee - Lockbox Specialist in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Lockbox Specialist in Norman, OK

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Short shifts. Good hourly pay. Great benefits. 2 free accounts with bank. People. Easy job. Great human resources department. Great Christmas bonus.

Cons

(Specific to the lockbox department, other areas may have different standards.) The hours are not flexible. Not meant for college students. No one to cover you if you need to miss work.

Advice to Management

Having a three person department may sound like a good idea, one manager and two underlings (one full-time, one not), but it really doesn't work. The manager approached me for this position before I knew about it and promised me things she didn't have control over. The very first question I asked her was if they could be flexible with my college schedule. After she said yes I agreed to the job. When the semester rolled around and I told her my scheduled, she became very upset with me saying I couldn't take classes when I was supposed to be working, and that she thought I was taking night classes. Which I never said such a thing. There were many times I had to come to work very sick because there is no one available to cover for you. Three people department that needs three people to run at all times. I got pneumonia while working there and had to come in even though I was very sick. Part of the job is going to the post office and my manager and fellow employee still had me do this errand even though it was raining, less than 50 degrees outside and I had pneumonia. There should be far more consideration for helping out this department if someone gets ill. The manager of this department would also take early days (which leaves the other two to pick up the slack and stay later than they usually have to) without notice. The full time employee would get notice, but the part time employee never would. All in all Republic is a great place to work, but the management of the lock box department needs to be better. Perhaps some management classes, or stricter observations by the supervisor would come in handy.

"Great for customers at the employees expense"

Former Employee - Manager in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Norman, OK

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, some paid holidays, job titles look great on resume (think VP), community oriented and many opportunities to volunteer and therefore network.

Cons

Oh, where do I start? The employees are not paid at a competitive rate with other banks in the area. When this problem is brought up to try to explain high turnover, we are told that we are not expected to do as much and therefore should not expect to be paid the same as other banks (this is not true, I have worked at several banks). The CEO is weird and everyone walks on eggshells around him. He uses high pressure tactics and peer pressure to inflate the perception of the company. We were pressured into donating to the United Way every year. If we did not have 100% participation, we would all miss out on a breakfast. We are also inundated with emails when the "best places to work" voting comes up. The managers are encouraged to give employees time away from their work to complete the survey. This might be why they win every year. If we do not "volunteer" at community events, it is reflected in our year end bonus. We are told we do not embody the RBT philosophy if we do not volunteer enough. It's hard to do that when you have a life outside of work! We are also required to go to an unpaid lunch with the CEO on our 1 year anniversary. It is awkward and everyone dreads it. The managers micromanage everyone to death and you are constantly under a microscope for dress code as the CEO has some very particular thoughts about how we should dress. The constant stress from this unrelenting scrutiny will make you sick and tired.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to be the best and just do better! It takes a little money to make money and it would be wise to pay at industry standard (or above--considering you want to be the top in everything else!)

3. "Lending"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, Republic Bank is VERY stable, unlike other banks.

Cons

Pay and no advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Increase the pay rate.

5. "Personal Banker"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love what we can do for the customer

Cons

Boss is not very organized

"Awful Experience"

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Norman, OK

Pros

A few nice co-workers, very easy to get hired

Cons

Very low pay, lack of promotion, rude and immature co-workers, no set schedule.

Advice to Management

Stop playing favorites and promote people for their skills. Stop being so rude to your employees.

7. "Decent company with downsides"

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Norman, OK

I have been working at Republic Bank & Trust part-time

Pros

Paid time off (even for part time)
    Young, fun employee atmosphere
    Internal promotion common
    Not sales-heavy

Cons

Lower salary than surrounding banks
    Wage non-disclosure and anti-unionization contracts
    Open longer hours and more holidays than most banks
    Usually backs customers over employees
    Raises are infrequent

8. "I enjoyed the company, they really promoted from within"

Current Employee - Part-time Teller in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Part-time Teller in Norman, OK

Pros

getting off of the major holidays

Cons

having to write thank you cards to all of the customers

Advice to Management

BE NICER TO YOUR STAFF

9. "Political!"

Former Employee - Fulltime Employee in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Fulltime Employee in Norman, OK

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Local company. Good pay and benefits. Liked the job and the duties of the job.

Cons

I feel they need to support working moms better.

Advice to Management

Change your upper management. They are not considerate at all.

"A great place to learn"

Former Employee - Officer in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Officer in Norman, OK

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A nice community to be a part of. Loyalty to employees when consistent hard work and effort are demonstrated. Decent benefit package. Principles and values clearly displayed, strong culture.

Cons

Salary levels are low to start and don't grow much. Not a lot of upward mobility, slow to climb.

Advice to Management

Create an environment where people feel more valued by what they earn. Offer more bonus opportunities.

"I'd MUCH rather be a customer"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Norman, OK

I have been working at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We treat our customers with care, courtesy, and respect. There is also a strong presence of encouragement from the managers in the mortgage department, but not in the retail banking department.

Cons

Education & college degrees are NOT valued at this company. Who you know and years of job experience are the only things valued.

Advice to Management

Beg your executives for a greater salary budget. You need stronger hiring power. The atmosphere is great in many departments, but it is extremely hard to raise a family with the salaries you provide.