Republic Bank & Trust Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Chuck R. Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Speciality Loan Specialist"

I have been working at Republic Bank & Trust full-time

Pros

My co-workers are great team players.

Cons

Doing the same data entry work can be boring. You are tied to your desk

2. "Completely Delusional"

Former Employee - Master Teller in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Master Teller in Norman, OK

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits such as health, dental and vision. Decent amount of paid time off. Literally that is it. Insurance and PTO.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations across the board. Delusional management. Employees are given a calendar in December/January and asked to choose their PTO days for the entire year leaving little to no room for unexpected illnesses (some people have children/school functions) and then they are told they are easily changed when in reality they are not. If you are on PTO during the week expect to work the following weekend. Operations managers are simply overpaid tellers/PBs that do not actually fill in for their employees whenever they are out for whatever reason. They just pass the duty on to someone below them because they can. The dress code is ridiculous and is only enforced to some. Some of the upper management people do not have families and therefore do NOT sympathize with those who do. Openers are told they have to be there on time daily no matter what while they allow the later shift employees to come in late or not at all and expect openers to cover although the closers are the ones that get paid $1 more. Republic Bank does not back up their employees in the event of an issue with a customer. Word of advice-complain on social media if you are a Republic customer because they will throw gift cards at you to withdraw your negative statement. Republic cares SO much about how they appear to the public! They do not treat their employees like people. Employees are constantly overworked and underpaid-literally check around they are one of the lowest paying banks. Core cards and WCDM reports are simply busy work and half of the topics discussed don't even apply (or tellers/pbs are legally not allowed to discuss them without a license) and still employees are expected to complete them or it reflects poorly on your end of year bonus. Training is an absolute joke. They have you sit in with trainers and you mostly roll dice around and talk about your pets while casually going over different courses and standard daily procedures. After 2 weeks of that you are thrown to the wolves to figure it out with the few veteran bankers they still have (who are not at all helpful or nice about it at all). All banker meetings are pure torture! They are held from 730pm-9pm (if not longer) and you do not get paid mileage to drive back to them. You must sit in and listen to how the multi million dollar bank is doing so well (while you get paid so little for helping to make it happen). I visited all the branches and the South OKC is by far the worst as far as customer service goes-don't apply there. The Main St. branch in Norman is very uppity! The East Norman branch is the most ghetto and management there is the worst. The Noble branch is by far the favorite bank wide. They are laid back, but still get the job done without belittling people. All of the management there is awesome and they have the best relationships with their customers. Every employee I talked to during my time there had worked at that branch at some point and had the same great opinion of it. All in all it is just a very terrible place to work and too much is expected for too little pay. I would never ever suggest someone I know to work for Republic. There are far better opportunities out there.

Advice to Management

Train your new employees more thoroughly. Pay veteran employees more than the new ones you have to hire so the every 6-12month turn over will stop happening. Understand people have families. Treat your employees like you treat your customers. Respect your employees and treat them like humans in general.

3. "Worst place I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Norman, OK

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The banking and retail side is wonderful and they offer great products. As a customer, they treat you like gold! The IT department is very helpful. The volunteer work they do for the community is amazing!

Cons

They are more concerned with the public perception of the company than their staff. BY FAR...the worst training and supervisor I have ever experienced in my career!

Advice to Management

Train your employees! Showing even half the courtesy and attention to your employees that you do the customers would go a long way! A well treated employee can only better a work environment and the company. There definitely needs to be a better training process put into place in the mortgage and lending area. The department is unorganized and overall a hot mess! The upper management may be very knowledgeable, but lack supervisor and people skills more than any company I have ever worked for!! I would never recommend anyone to apply/work for Republic Bank & Trust.

4. "Great Company with Wonderful Intentions"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Norman, OK

I have been working at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Republic has a very strong culture which includes an over-achiever approach to customer service and true care for the local community. As a whole, the company strives every day to be a wonderful place for employees and customers. The benefits offered are fantastic!

Cons

A good percentage of the positions do not seem to pay in line with industry standards, which is strange for the experience and quality expected from applicants as well as the level of perfection expected from employees.

Some administrative procedures are sloppy and unorganized. Technology is not used to its fullest potential, causing a lot of unnecessary busy work and miscommunication.

Advice to Management

Explore new organizational methods and get advice from the employees that have to do the grunt work every day, in regards to organizational flaws. They are the ones who know where the problems are.

5. "Misleading jobs, HR lies!"

I have been working at Republic Bank & Trust part-time

Pros

The best reason to work here: because there is no where else to work.

Cons

HR is an entire floor in the Norman office, but if you call they will lie to you (prospective employees, current employees, all of the above), and say no HR titled workers are available. The Dept of Labor should take note, since they claim that no one is ever available when there is sexual harassment, disciplinary issues, or assistance that is protected by FEDERAL LAW.

Advice to Management

Quit lying. I know you are a bank so this comes with the territory, but treat your humans like humans.

"Personal Banker"

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time

Pros

Medical benefits are competitive. Great place to work for those who are comfortable making decisions on the fly, not weary of all FDIC and banking regulations, and function well without defined structure. Very young median age for the organization. Mostly recent college graduates or still in college. Not a bad starter bank for people who do not like being micromanaged.

Cons

The high level of organization expectations of employees do not align well with reality. It's a high paced, extremely demanding, and not as competitive of a pay for the job requirements, volunteer requirements, and knowledge requirements (with little to no time to process new information). Inconsistency is the only thing constant. Employees are "strongly encouraged" to volunteer for events on personal time and it is held against them if they are unable to do so due to personal/family responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Hire more employees so everyone isn't chronically over worked; set realistic goals/time expectations for each job. Respect the employees who work for the company and allow proper amount of time to do the job without additional "frill" assignments that only take away from the tasks at hand. There's only so much time in a day do complete everything and stay under/at 40 hours.

7. "Eh it was ok"

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time

Pros

Great PTO package and customers are nice

Cons

Judgemental, snooty staff, psycho board members (except the COO, she was cool), unimaginable expectations

8. "Wonderful bank to work for in Norman"

I have been working at Republic Bank & Trust full-time

Pros

Great coworkers to work with. Mostly everyone is super sweet and willing to help you with whatever it is that is needed. If they can't help, they'll help you find someone who can. The other neat aspect about working for Republic Bank is that it is not the end of the world if you make a minor mistake. I feel that the problem tries to be fixed so that you don't make the same mistake twice but depending on the severity of the mistake, you are given multiple opportunities to correct it before you are contacted about possible firing. You are also given Paid Time Off (PTO) and it is a good amount of hours to use whenever you need them and you aren't shamed for taking the time off as long as you're not creating a staffing issue. The fortunate thing about Republic is that there are many opportunities to grow and shift around within the bank because of others either leaving or moving up as well. All in all, it has been a great bank to work for thus far and your experience within the bank is ultimately what you make of it.

Cons

Some of the downside about working at Republic is that you don't get all the holidays off like the other banks do. Along with that statement is that no matter how crazy the weather is being outside (blizzard, extremely icy, flooding, etc.) you can pretty much count on the bank still being open when everything else is shutdown. The only other downside i would say is that sometimes you feel undervalued and underappreciated.

Advice to Management

Let those under you know when they're doing a good job sometimes. After all, we are working to make you look good too.

"Great for customers at the employees expense"

Former Employee - Manager in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Manager in Norman, OK

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, some paid holidays, job titles look great on resume (think VP), community oriented and many opportunities to volunteer and therefore network.

Cons

Oh, where do I start? The employees are not paid at a competitive rate with other banks in the area. When this problem is brought up to try to explain high turnover, we are told that we are not expected to do as much and therefore should not expect to be paid the same as other banks (this is not true, I have worked at several banks). The CEO is weird and everyone walks on eggshells around him. He uses high pressure tactics and peer pressure to inflate the perception of the company. We were pressured into donating to the United Way every year. If we did not have 100% participation, we would all miss out on a breakfast. We are also inundated with emails when the "best places to work" voting comes up. The managers are encouraged to give employees time away from their work to complete the survey. This might be why they win every year. If we do not "volunteer" at community events, it is reflected in our year end bonus. We are told we do not embody the RBT philosophy if we do not volunteer enough. It's hard to do that when you have a life outside of work! We are also required to go to an unpaid lunch with the CEO on our 1 year anniversary. It is awkward and everyone dreads it. The managers micromanage everyone to death and you are constantly under a microscope for dress code as the CEO has some very particular thoughts about how we should dress. The constant stress from this unrelenting scrutiny will make you sick and tired.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to be the best and just do better! It takes a little money to make money and it would be wise to pay at industry standard (or above--considering you want to be the top in everything else!)

"Stuck in the 1980's"

I worked at Republic Bank & Trust full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of the other employees were nice to work with.

Cons

Talk about elitism...not micro managed, nano managed! They only value employees that have no opinions, nor intelligence, just automatons. The management over steps the boundaries of personal space. They pay substandard for the industry. Not family friendly, they treat you like preschoolers who have to get permission to use the bathroom. No positive reinforcement, only evaluated on what you are not doing well enough, which is consistently never enough.
    The drama from Management and a few long time employees is ridiculous. Hostile work environment and the stress of being on trial daily will make you sick. As well as kill your spirit.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the elitist group and bring in people that can actually effectively Manage. It is 2016 not the 1980's, update your ideas or you will lose out on the new generation banking with you. Stop having the employees fill out the Gazette's best places to work as a "request", it is the only reason you win. There is a reason the turnover of employees is so high. Employees need to be treated with respect, not like dogs in a Kennel.