Republic National Distributing Company Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Republic National Distributing Company President and CEO Tom Cole
Tom Cole

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fun place to work, great people (in 19 reviews)

• Good pay/benefits compared to other distributors (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance; Compensation; Synergies with technology (in 23 reviews)

• Some times we work long hours but that's because we are dedicated to getting the job done for our customers (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"13 years at RNDC and I'm a Millennial!"

Current Employee - Division Manager in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Division Manager in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Republic National Distributing Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

RNDC has a culture that appreciates and rewards hard work. I have had the opportunity to work in different roles and in different markets during my career at RNDC. RNDC has also developed a Millennial Counsel to make sure that the voices of the largest growing demographic of workers are being heard.

Cons

If you are on the "on premise" side of the company, which means calling on bars, restaurants, etc., there may be longer and later hours than normal. If you are an outgoing person that likes to engage with consumers then the long hours and late nights aren't really a "Con" at all.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication as open and transparent as possible, continue demonstrating appreciation and recognition, and continue the visibility that our Senior Leaders have demonstrated in the past year.

2. "Retail Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Republic National Distributing Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, incentives, all around great people to work with.

Cons

Can be very demanding especially around the holidays, unless willing to move one can be stuck in position for some time.

Advice to Management

Being we are paid solely on commission, don't take the stance that we aren't doing all we can to get a sale. My paycheck, thus my family, is hugely impacted by what I sell. Time of year, directions our buyers are getting from their corporate office and many other factors play into what we can and cannot sell.

3. "Always room for improvement!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Columbia, SC

I have been working at Republic National Distributing Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great portfolio and market share in the state of SC, comfort in knowing it's a strong business.

Strong development resources

Strong market industry resources

Clear opportunities for growth

Values their employees

Cons

Communication from all across the state to one central office can cause difficulties

Demanding hours, but you get out of it what you put into it.

Having a lot of suppliers brings pressure to make everyone happy.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to feel more connected to a main office/management without having to travel all the way there.

Help the further out territories with building customer relationships and help those accounts feel like they matter to us; I know they do, but with the difficulty in communication from those distances, it can get foggy sometimes.

4. "State Brand Manager"

Current Employee - State Brand Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - State Brand Manager in Tampa, FL

Pros

Family, Accountability, Professionalism, Honesty, and Customer Focus

Cons

Provide better visibility into future roles

Advice to Management

This company is a great company to wok for. I have been with this company for 27 years. If there is one area where the company could improve upon it would be to create a better mentoring program which provides future leaders insight to new roles and expectations.

5. "Republic National is a a company who gets it right! 5 years with them, and looking forward to many more."

Current Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - District Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Republic National Distributing Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are looking for a company who will respect you for who your are and treat you as a FAMILY member as opposed to just another number, then you have found the right place for a CAREER! Freedom to do what needs to be done to get the job done! Pay is very competitive . The feeling of appreciation for the work you are doing is recognized at all levels. As a rep you can highly influence your pay by how dedicated you are to the work. As a manager you can influence many aspects of the business including talent, pay, training, pleasure on the job by your team and many more! I feel like I am home when away from home.

Benefits are a shared cost... They offer Medical, Dental, Vision, LTD, STD, Life Insurance, Family life insurance, 401K , scholarships for family and more!

The talent review process also lets you know exactly where you stand within the organization!

Cons

I think this can be said for any place of employment, But the Health care could be better. It is a preventative plan which is good but to make it great, deductibles and co-pays could be better.

Advice to Management

Career opportunities are fewer between management levels when someone is unwilling to relocate. However for those people who are willing to relocate, is there a process where the senior level managers present their top performers to other VP's?

6. "10 years into a real career!!"

Current Employee - District Manager in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - District Manager in Charleston, SC

Pros

I started a little over 10 years ago as a merchandiser for RNDC and currently a district manager. In my time with RNDC I've watched us grow and become better with everything from communication to employee development. It's great place to develop your permanent career.

Cons

As we get better, there are still things that we need to develop. There really is no training on how to become a district manager. Talent review is a great start. Training on how to develop a successful succession plan would be better. Also cross training in different divisions would be helpful.

Advice to Management

Overall, I really think we're going in the right direction.

Jul 21, 2017 – RNDC Brand Champion

We love hearing feedback like this. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and ideas for continuous improvement. We are proud you have been a part of the RNDC family for more than... More

7. "Great Company to Work With"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Columbia, SC

Pros

Wonderful Core Values and Great Business Practices

Cons

One Central Office to Cover the State

Advice to Management

Continue Building On Talent Review

8. "Career Company"

Current Employee - Division Manager in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Division Manager in Columbia, SC

Pros

I have been with RNDC for 7 years and during this time I have seen and been part of great changes all positive however many with challenges. We have changed our company culture to be Employee/Family First while making sure the we are building and growing our Supplier business, key accounts and of course our RNDC brand. Upper management (local)doesn't fly at 30,000ft quite the contrary they understand the street and what it takes in both the front and back of the house. Our Open Door Policy is in full effect - I have witnessed this first hand. This is a place where I truly believe that one can build a life time career.

Cons

Change has been constant in the past few years and while noted above positive it's still change and takes time to get fully integrated.

Advice to Management

With Change we need to have increased training on new initiatives.

Jul 21, 2017 – RNDC Brand Champion

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback. Our Open Door Policy is part of who we are, and we are glad you have been able to build your career with us at RNDC. Cheers to many... More

9. "Key Account Manager"

Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Ashland, VA
    Former Employee - Key Account Manager in Ashland, VA

I worked at Republic National Distributing Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations and the job had no tangible sense of accomplishment.

10. "Great company for growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

-We sell a fun product
    -Well know brands
    -Good pay
    -Flexible schedules (if you are getting your job done)
    -Promotions from within
    -If you work hard you are rewarded

Cons

I personally can't think of any cons. It is a high pressure environment at times, which some people may find as a con, but I enjoy the pressure.

Jul 14, 2017 – RNDC Brand Champion

Thank you for your review! Promotions from within and feeling rewarded when you work hard are great aspects of any job. We’re glad you have found a home at RNDC.