Republic Services Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Dispatch"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Columbus, OH

I worked at Republic Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To be honest - None.

Cons

Work/life balance is non existent. Some of the work is redundant. Two of the three dispatchers there hate each other but will dig the same grave to burry you. I've seen better organized crap throwing fights in the monkey exhibit at the zoo. The location will definitely fail. They don't have enough trucks to even manage their routes. OSHA would have the place shut down if they went in there. The dispatching room is an old parts room. The walls are styrofoam, with flammables stored on the outside of the wall. If the trucks were inspected, they would have none on the road. Definitely not a safe place to work. If you are on the road and you see a Republic truck...get far away, they fall apart literally as they are being driven. Someone on the freeway is going to get hurt.

Advice to Management

Let it burn! You are running a circus!

2. "Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Phila, PA

I have been working at Republic Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 500 company is the only saving grace.

Cons

The company is dysfunctional and does not care for the customer.

Advice to Management

Stop the turn over.

May 4, 2017 – VP Talent Acquistion

Thanks for your feedback. We will share appropriately.

"Do not join unless you are a brown noser"

Former Employee - Commercial Truck Driver in Cave Creek, AZ
    Former Employee - Commercial Truck Driver in Cave Creek, AZ

I worked at Republic Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, two weeks vacations, weekly pay

Cons

Long hours, early hours, management shows favoritism if not union. I was asked about an accident a week after it happened. Supposedly my helper says I hit something but never told me but ran to management. That's the helpers responsibility but I got fired and she stayed. They show extreme favoritism and seniority means nothing when they preach that to you in the interview.

Advice to Management

Get facts straight before letting people go

5. "Republic was a waste of my services"

Former Employee - Driver in Pinconning, MI
    Former Employee - Driver in Pinconning, MI

I worked at Republic Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Operating trucks was fun to me. Over a five year span 2.5 of which was at republic I have operated in residential, commercial, and industrial lines of business and could operate every truck on the lot.

Cons

Company ran me into the ground, didn't have time to use the bathroom let alone take the mandatory lunch break management bullies drivers into signing off that they took when they didn't actually have time to.

Advice to Management

Realize that people work to live not live to work. I did not quit because of the job, I enjoyed the job. I quit because of poor management that clearly thought my only purpose in life was to run a truck full steam 13.5 hours a day and had no care about my human needs or any sort of work life balance.

6. "Run... Run far far away from Fall River Massachusetts (MA)"

Former Employee - Management in Fall River, MA
    Former Employee - Management in Fall River, MA

I worked at Republic Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cheap insurance. Safety. Processes are by the book. But... You will finally find out what you want to do with your life when you leave this place.

Cons

Backstabbing, undermining, a world of chaos but that's what they want locally to keep the meat-grinder going. You can never hold anyone accountable if the leadership keeps changing. Management turns over every 2 years because of this despite good intentions. Chaos is the norm here and almost everyone is related, yes blood related. Don't think, for a minute that you can change it...You can't. Call any of the people who have left Fall River (look them up on Linkedin.com) and ask them what they think before signing any offer letter, please...

Advice to Management

Get rid of any leaders who have been there more than 10 years and start over. Don't worry about the union. Talk is cheap and drivers threaten union but will never, ever pull the trigger.

7. "Horrible training, inept low-level mngmt, waste of time and talent. It's managing garbage, not brain surgery!"

Former Employee - Account in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account in Detroit, MI

I worked at Republic Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Weekly pay. Free food sometimes. I wish that immediate supervisors were pros at something, anything. So much gross incompetence. One or two decent coworkers.

Cons

Forced to take a one hour lunch, training consists of watching videos all day, people who train you (on a DOS-based acctg system, DOS!!) don't even know how to do their own job, huge waste of time, energy, resources and talent. If you don't achieve ninja-level mastery of this archaic system by the end of your first week, They just don't have time for you. Doesnt matter that they've given you no real training and no tools to do what is obviously not a hard job. Immediate management is woefully inept and frankly a little slow. If you enjoy trying your best and doing a good job yet still being told that you don't do it fast enough after 10 days on the job, then this hellscape is the place for you!

Advice to Management

Open your eyes to the extreme shortsightedness, ignorance and waste at the local business unit level. So many employees are criminally undervalued yet others are put so high up on a pedestal they can't see the forest for the trees. Glad that I didn't have to spend anymore time spinning my wheels for a pretty crappy hourly wage.

"Sales Represenetative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Republic Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow sales reps and developing friendship's

Cons

I was fired the same day a gave my 2 weeks notice , effective that instant, thus negating 3 weeks of pay. Republic Services did not even have the dignity to tell me in person they just stopped all my access, and sent me a letter. This prevented me from even turning in my monthly personal expenses, which was hundreds of dollars. I have been in business development for over 20 years and this was the worst treatment of sales reps I have ever seen.* Discriminatory language used on a daily bases towards certain customers , charging more or not being flexible with customers based on race or religion.* Very poor time management. * Micro management which evolved completing upper management tasks other jobs that were not in the job description( knocking on doors collecting money, site visits for other business units endless recording of activity's that were completely meaningless just to satisfy upper management , reporting the same material in multiple locations to make other members jobs easier , spending 60-70% of ones day reporting activity verses actually doing activity

Advice to Management

Decide to either have a sales team or not, The position is designed to last 2 years

9. "Department now closed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Republic Services full-time

Pros

Good Benefits good benefits

Cons

Pay is low. Racism. No advancement.

Advice to Management

Get new diverse management

Jan 25, 2017 – Talent Relations Specialist

Thank you for your feedback. This information has been shared with the appropriate team members for follow up. If you’d like to discuss this further please email us at ... More

10. "Make sure you work at the hubs not outlying terminls"

Former Employee - Front Load Driver in Dunn, NC
    Former Employee - Front Load Driver in Dunn, NC

I worked at Republic Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is probably good but it all depends on where you are , or which terminal. Seemed like the closer to raleigh you were the better trash dumpsters were. Many places I drove after leaving , many other states seems like they were in good shape. Benefits were probably ok too. They were impressed when you gave and worked notice to you prior employer. Had plenty of thoughtful safety procedures. I wish them well but I am glad I am gone.

Cons

Many places I drove after leaving , many other states seems like they were in good shape. The ones I had to dump at our terminal territory many were in poor and unsightly condition Many places I drove after leaving , many other states seems like the dumpsters were in good shape. The ones I had to dump at our terminal territory many were in poor and unsightly condition. Benefits were under utilized do to supervisor would not let you off to get use of any of them.
    I had to schedule dental work tests and was lucky the supervisor was not there that day but me and the manager were able to work it out despite it being a long day. I took a long approved lunch and got the tests done then. They did not honor your giving notice and sent you home, they seemed to think everyone was dishonest as they were . Very sad sad company. Seemed like they would pick and choose the safety procedures they would enforce. Glad I am gone

Advice to Management

Learn how to route, and if you find a driver who somehow made the route work despite you efforts to screw it up, be smart enough to leave him alone and not do extra stupid things like schedule a preventive maint on a truck that makes me use a different one that had the opposite still loaded on it like trash when I was continuing a card board route. while ignoring that the forks were probably 6 inches to a foot out of spec. or that there was damage that paper trash and cardboard would find its way on to the 1500 degree exhaust stack and catch fire. You would have to keep an eye on it and get out and pull stuff out from behind there.

Jan 23, 2017 – Talent Relations Specialist

We are sorry to hear that your experience didn’t meet your expectations. We strive to create great experiences for our employees and we’re always seeking feedback. If you’d like to discuss this ... More

11. "Dispatcher"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Margate, FL
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Margate, FL

I worked at Republic Services (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with good co-workers and overtime

Cons

Discernmenation and less than $1.00 raise after being with the company for almost 4 years. I also trained my supervisor.

Advice to Management

Value employees that go above and beyond..

Jan 12, 2017 – Talent Relations Specialist