Research Now Reviews | Glassdoor

Research Now CEO Gary Laben
Gary Laben

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance - we were rarely allowed to work from home (in 13 reviews)

• The company take advantage of the staff and people work very very long hours only to be dumped on with more work (in 12 reviews)

"Very little patience and lack of healthy dynamics"

I worked at Research Now full-time

Pros

On the tech side, If you are a rock star they will pay you well, they will only take the best and have a west coast mentality of running a tech organization where what matters is how fast you are delivering

On the biz side, lots of people passionate about the work they are doing.

Cons

There's not really a culture of developing people's careers, if you are good, they will give you just more work. Even if you are good but if they think you should deliver more you are dispensable and it showed at the time of lay offs.

Working from home is not an option.

Very little emotional intelligence by some of the leadership team. I found the environment set up in tech to be lacking psychological safety and at the mercy of the whims of the head of technology.

In less than a year they had three mass lay offs. While is a known play when a new leader comes on board that has to shaken the boat to show the owners/board that big changes are happening and buy 2-3 years for showing results, lots of good people with deep knowledge has been walked out the door and everyone else has to figure out how things work.

2. "Downhill"

I worked at Research Now full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People who are young and single seem to enjoy the work hard play hard culture, but it can be difficult to find a balance once you have a family.

Cons

Morale was at an all time low when my position was eliminated. The new CEO has gutted the organization and it's a shell of the company I used to know. He would regularly send out emails highlighting his eleven (seriously, eleven) priorities for bringing about change in the company. When you'd see these emails pop into your inbox it was generally a signal that a new round of layoffs had just gone around.

"Upgrade Culture Now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

+ Incredibly diverse, friendly, and smart teams
    + Challenging work, you'll never be bored
    + Great location, free drinks are nice, office is great
    + Hard work is recognized

Cons

- All the pro's are negated by a toxic culture stemmed from upper management

Advice to Management

Focus on becoming a psychologically healthy workplace and your teams will flourish. This has the potential to be one of the best gigs if you take the time and make your employees feel valued and respected.

"Used to be great"

I worked at Research Now full-time

Pros

Was good while it lasted

Cons

No innovation. While still the industry leader, they are slow to recognize threats

"Sadly, on the decline"

I worked at Research Now full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people below the C-Suite. Offices are generally nice.

Cons

A once-great company to work for has become a place where people live in constant fear of the next round of layoffs. Mediocrity and allegiance to the CEO are rewarded with promotions and continued tenure while non-favored employees are let go. People with long histories and industry knowledge were given their walking papers in a move by the new CEO to consolidate power and remove threats. That greatly demoralized the company and created a knowledge vacuum, which caused the company to stall and revenues to suffer. Several rounds of layoffs and budget cuts over the last 18 months have only exacerbated that situation and created a self-fulfilling spiral that will be hard to pull out of. A once lively and vibrant place is now a place full of demoralized employees, fearful of the new CEO and his ever-sharp axe. I was fortunate to see the writing on the wall and I took the first job offer that came along so that I could flee the sinking ship in time. My advice to those still there is to do the same.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO, focus on the things that previously made the place great, restore morale, aggressively pursue newer technology to catch up to the market and, above all, live by the company's own stated values.

Research Now Response

Jul 5, 2017 – Corporate Recruiter

We understand your concerns about layoffs, and we see how they can have an impact on employee morale. While losing good people is always difficult, as the global market leader, we have had to make... More

"Broken leadership, broken processes, broken promises"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a paycheck with benefits, but not a career.

Cons

No real investments being made to improve the business, they have a serious problem with passive/aggressive leadership and no training available to the employees. I left because I consider this a hostile work environment and life is too short.

Advice to Management

Train your leaders on how to lead, enable check and balances for their behavior and start a diversity program treat and include women.

7. "Great Place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time

Pros

Great place to work! Super fun culture. RN does a lot of team events & happy hours, onsite massages, daily restaurant pop-ups, great location (Shops at Legacy), healthy work-life balance, work hard - play hard motto, free alcohol, casual environment. They have a lot of unique, fun perks!

It's a VERY fast-pace environment. You must be able to multi-task & keep up.

Cons

vacation (PTO) days. I wish they would give you a little more, but it's not terrible by any means.

Advice to Management

NA

"Company Culture Quickly Declining"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Aside from upper-management, this is a great group of people to work with! Very high performance workplace, with a "work hard, play hard" mentality. Free sodas, fruit, coffee, and casual dress code.

Cons

Culture is quickly declining. This used to be such a fun place to work--it's sad to see that upper-management isn't placing the same value on good employees that they once did. Lot's of layoffs over the past two years, and upper-management seems like they don't have a concrete vision for the future.
    Compensation is much lower than industry standard.

Advice to Management

Great employees are a company's best asset, and should be treated as such.

"Not the same since buy-out"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The office is pretty nice

Cons

No longer a family like team environment since the buy out.

Advice to Management

Allow more opportunities for growth

"Company needs work"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Accountant in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved their environment. They were laid back as far as having different meetings throughout the month regarding the company. I liked the quarterly corporate meetings to know how well the company was doing, whether it be good or bad. I liked that shorts and jeans could be worn except hoodies, which I didn't mind.

Cons

They had tried to implement the high performance workplace at work, but our managers in the accounting department did not take too well with this. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality. The fact was that much needed to be done to improve on the processes and cut on wasting time when it came to our 7 day month end process. Work needed to be done supposedly by certain days but work can't begin until it was sent to you which for the most part, usually late, resulting to 3-5 days only to work on a 7 day month end close.

Advice to Management

Improve on processes, empower your employees to fix things. I sent on multiple occasions things I saw needed improvement, and all I received was crickets chirping on their end. So not cool being ignored.