Research Now Reviews | Glassdoor

Research Now CEO Gary Laben
Gary Laben

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work/Life balance does not exist (in 14 reviews)

• The company take advantage of the staff and people work very very long hours only to be dumped on with more work (in 12 reviews)

1. "great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Research Now (More than 3 years)

Pros

fun creative technology autonomy location

Cons

attitude low pay slow spread out

"Good Opportunity for Engineers"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked as a software engineer at Research Now, so this review is from that perspective.
    1. Research Now has a very interesting problem space and the opportunity to use a huge range of modern, cutting-edge technologies. Name something cool, and RN engineers are probably using it every day.
    2. Teams work in an agile environment, with well designed team rooms. The teams are cross-functional, and include the product owner and QA.
    3. The technical leadership is all about getting stuff done. You won't die a slow death in hundreds of meetings.
    4. Engineers are given great leeway in how solutions get implemented. There are not ivory tower "architects" preaching down to you. We used Java, Groovy, Kotlin and NodeJS/ReactJS with deployment to Docker.
    5. Fun-loving, casual work environment. Definitely a startup feel. Shorts and teeshirts, with a fridge full of beer on Fridays.
    6. Good work-life balance, if you pay attention and manage it. There is an infinite amount of work, so don't boil the ocean.
    7. They'll pay well for talent, but the rest of the benefits are merely average

If you want to work on hard problems using great technology in a low friction environment, you can have a lot of fun here. This has a very startup-like feel. People who can't handle a fast-paced environment won't survive here, but those that do can have a rewarding experience.

Cons

The business side of the company is a trainwreck, and ultimately why I left.
    1. The company was purchased by a flaky east coast PE group, and they micro manage finances at a monthly level.
    2. The CEO is purely a bean counting sock puppet for the PE guys. There is no leadership or strategic thinking. Everything is about how to make the books look good to keep the puppet masters happy.
    3. The company used to have a strong culture but that's gone into the toilet. Plenty of stealth layoffs on the business side.

The engineering organization is largely shielded from this, but you definitely get the feel you're tolerated only because they desperately need you.

Advice to Management

Just sell the damn company already so that the good people left can rebuild Research Now into something great while it's still salvageable.

"It's growing"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now (More than a year)

Pros

*A chill and friendly atmosphere
    *Relatively flexible for working at home
    *A growing company with a lot of cool projects and technology with lots of potential
    *Next to a nice shopping center

Cons

*Benefits are lacking compared to competitive companies surrounding it
    *Losing talent to other companies which creates low morale
    *Lack of a program for interns

4. "HR Coordinator"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Research Now as a contractor

Pros

The people within the company are the best. They are very supportive and family oriented.

Cons

As a contractor, you didn't get as much access as a full time employee.

"Used to be great"

I worked at Research Now full-time

Pros

Was good while it lasted

Cons

No innovation. While still the industry leader, they are slow to recognize threats

6. "Great Place!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time

Pros

Great place to work! Super fun culture. RN does a lot of team events & happy hours, onsite massages, daily restaurant pop-ups, great location (Shops at Legacy), healthy work-life balance, work hard - play hard motto, free alcohol, casual environment. They have a lot of unique, fun perks!

It's a VERY fast-pace environment. You must be able to multi-task & keep up.

Cons

vacation (PTO) days. I wish they would give you a little more, but it's not terrible by any means.

Advice to Management

NA

7. "Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Plano, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved my Director! He was flexible and believed in my ability to perform. At the time, the management team was very progressive, loved their leadership style.

Cons

The project manager position was rote, if you want to be on the fast track, I might take a while.

Advice to Management

Please continue doing what you did in 2014 when I was there, being inclusive of all staff.

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Research Now has undergone many changes in the past year. Unfortunately, this has involved significant reduction in staff in order to better position ourselves in the industry. The new CEO has made many changes to steer the company in a better direction that will enable us to be more competitive and a leader in the market research industry. The CEO is very transparent with all aspects of the company. Company quarterly meetings are held to communicate goals, progress, and successes.

Research Now has been a wonderful organization to work with. Over the past 20 years, I've worked at several small and large sized corporations (Fortune 50 included), and Research Now has been an incredible place to be.

While I have seen many faces come and go, everyone has maintained a positive attitude and putting in the extra effort to help in making our company successful.

Research Now offers great benefits and perks:
    -Great healthcare coverage
    -Gym reimbursement
    -Onsite gym
    -Break Room perks - massage chair, arcade, working treadmill, free soda/juice/fruit, healthy self-serve cafe
    -Give Back Program - volunteer opportunities during company hours
    -Free covered parking
    -Flex hours, work from home, laptop (not available with all positions)
    -Giveaways - they often raffle events at AA
    -Awesome holiday cocktail party
    -Fun events out of the office throughout the year - Top Golf, Pinstacks and more!
    -Fun atmosphere..including and cube decorating contest, costume contest

Cons

The company can provide a better understanding as to why so many positions are eliminated, but then we are hiring again. Were the employees let go unable to move to a different position?

"Delivery Manager"

I worked at Research Now full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Learned a lot.

Cons

Lots of changes when I left. New owner.

10. "Client Development Executive"

Pros

Fun people! Good office environment.

Cons

Minimal growth opportunities. Software issues.