Research Now Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Research Now CEO Gary Laben
Gary Laben

Pros
Cons
  • No work/life balance - we were rarely allowed to work from home (in 12 reviews)

• You are expected to work evenings and weekends and you have absolutely no work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

1. "Project Manager"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Plano, TX
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved my Director! He was flexible and believed in my ability to perform. At the time, the management team was very progressive, loved their leadership style.

Cons

The project manager position was rote, if you want to be on the fast track, I might take a while.

Advice to Management

Please continue doing what you did in 2014 when I was there, being inclusive of all staff.

"Moving in the right direction"

Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Plano, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Research Now has undergone many changes in the past year. Unfortunately, this has involved significant reduction in staff in order to better position ourselves in the industry. The new CEO has made many changes to steer the company in a better direction that will enable us to be more competitive and a leader in the market research industry. The CEO is very transparent with all aspects of the company. Company quarterly meetings are held to communicate goals, progress, and successes.

Research Now has been a wonderful organization to work with. Over the past 20 years, I've worked at several small and large sized corporations (Fortune 50 included), and Research Now has been an incredible place to be.

While I have seen many faces come and go, everyone has maintained a positive attitude and putting in the extra effort to help in making our company successful.

Research Now offers great benefits and perks:
    -Great healthcare coverage
    -Gym reimbursement
    -Onsite gym
    -Break Room perks - massage chair, arcade, working treadmill, free soda/juice/fruit, healthy self-serve cafe
    -Give Back Program - volunteer opportunities during company hours
    -Free covered parking
    -Flex hours, work from home, laptop (not available with all positions)
    -Giveaways - they often raffle events at AA
    -Awesome holiday cocktail party
    -Fun events out of the office throughout the year - Top Golf, Pinstacks and more!
    -Fun atmosphere..including and cube decorating contest, costume contest

Cons

The company can provide a better understanding as to why so many positions are eliminated, but then we are hiring again. Were the employees let go unable to move to a different position?

"Its a job guys, not vacation - it should not be perfect !"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Research Now (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great office - perks are fantastic
    New CEO gets it
    Things are starting to move in the right direction now that Kurt is gone (its nice to be loyal, but he was loyal to a fault)
    Best panels in the industry

Cons

Issues with operations executive leadership and taking any constructive feedback
    Zero empowerment for operations to do anything without getting permission from their most senior leader

Advice to Management

At this point you know what you have to do - rip the band-aid off and let the org fly!

"Good company but a lot of office poltics"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Structured and well respected company in the MR world

Cons

Lots of metrics and red tape

"Lots of Changes - Mostly Good"

Current Employee - Sales Support Executive in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Support Executive in Plano, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

In my five+ years at Research Now, I've seen a lot of changes in the company, most of which has been positive. Specifically the changes in middle management in client services and sales. The majority of these positive changes didn't take place until Kurt Knapton took the helm as CEO a couple years ago. The former middle management in client services, which leaned too much towards micromanagement, has now been replaced mostly by solid managers who provide support, resources, and constructive feedback/criticism when and where needed. The sales side of the organization is undergoing a lot of change, but I believe the changes that are taking place will be to the advantage of both Research Now and their clients.

Research Now has also made a strong effort to grow in regards to philanthropy with their annual Research Now Gives Back event every summer. In addition to donating to the micro-lending company Kiva, they've also setup their survey rewards with the ability for panelists to donate their rewards to Kiva.

The vast majority of people at Research Now are solid, hard working people, many of which I've had the opportunity to get to know personally. The people at Research Now, more than anything else, are what create the positive work environment.

Cons

Seems as though politics still play a size-able role in promotions, but no more or less than you'd expect from a medium+ size company.

Advice to Management

Continue to create opportunities for your top performers.
    Continue to improve upon executions of technology improvements and new product offerings.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager, Client Services in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager, Client Services in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues, great CEO, fast pace, long learning curve, decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Tendency for managers to micromanage. If a client had a complaint no matter how unwarranted, management would fall on the sword and you would suffer the consequences. Too much favoritism.

Advice to Management

See the value in your employees.

"Solid Place of Employment"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance, nice people, and good benefits. Its a very diverse work place, and the office is filled with respectable people.

Cons

Consistent turnover, low pay, sub-par work space (office equipment, ambiance, etc.)

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Plano, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work / life balance - they believe in it. Taking time off for personal / family issues is never a problem. Training is readily available. Do your job well and annual raises are good.
    If you're in IT, you will get to play with lots of new and interesting technologies. Nothing stands still. Excellent benefits, free coffee, sodas, juice, sparking water. Fruit brought in once a week. Lots of off-site activities. A very philanthropic attitude.

Cons

Perfectionist attitude about IT. Nothing can EVER go down EVER, even for maintenance.
    Hard to find qualified IT employees that meet management's standards.
    Too many directors, VPs, senior VPs, etc. 1,200 employees, >100 directors and up. Lots of advancement for management track, not much for everyone else.

10. "Overall pretty positive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Research Now full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Really great team building activities - we went to top golf, charity days, house of blues
    *Fun activities in the breakroom - games, performances, food
    *Free fruit and beverages(sodas, juices, coffee, teas...)

Cons

*Very segmented company - teams stick to themselves for the most part
    *Hard to feel like you're making much of a difference in a company this size
    *High turnover of senior management

Advice to Management

Continue to make coming to work a pleasant experience, but more focus on employee development could go a long way.

"Good culture historically, but it's slipping"

Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services Manager in Plano, TX

I have been working at Research Now full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, flexible hours, decent pay

Cons

Limited growth opportunities, poorly run Technical development team, too many course changes over the years,

Advice to Management

Get back to the basics that made the company great. It's spread too thin now.