KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Research Square Company Reviews

Updated Nov 22, 2021

Found 113 of over 230 reviews

2.8
Research Square Company CEO Shashi Mudunuri (no image)
Shashi Mudunuri
Pros
  • "Flexible work environment (work from home)(in 46 reviews)

• "Work remotely and on your "own schedule", some pretty intelligent and interesting coworkers (but you don't interact with them very often)(in 18 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It's actually impossible to get any editing jobs through the website(in 84 reviews)

• "Time spent is not worth the low pay(in 24 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,871

959 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Research Square Company and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Jan 27, 2021 - Academic Editor in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great for families, great leave options

Cons

somewhat of low pay for education required

4 people found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

OK

Nov 22, 2021 - Editor in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Remote work and some flexibility

Cons

Lots of corporate and management jargon

Be the first to find this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Treading water

Nov 19, 2021 - Academic Editor in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you work as an editor at RS, most of the people you’ll work with on a regular basis are fantastic. Benefits are average. Work is mentally stimulating. Remote work is fantastic.

Cons

First, if you see the word “pivot” in any of the reviews, keep skimming, it’s a plant. People are flocking away from RS, in part because of ownership changes. The original CEO ran the company just like he learned in MBA 101, and in that regard, it was generally pretty employee friendly, outside of crappy salaries. With the new corporate feel has come yet another workload increase, which has been the annual trend for the past few years. Sadly, raises haven’t managed to keep pace with these increases. Additionally, autonomy is dwindling by the week. Someone in management thinks that you can steal cupcakes and replace them with boxes of raisins without workers getting angry. Stop messing with our cupcakes!

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A Solid Company Undergoing Transition Pains

Oct 8, 2021 - Communications Manager in Durham, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

This company has a great set of core values that are strongly embedded in the company culture, like “showing trust and vulnerability,” which makes it okay to freely show your weaknesses, errors, and shortcomings without the fear of ridicule. It’s pretty liberating. There are five other values that help emphasize things like asking for help early on, fighting for simplicity, etc. Very different from most other places I’ve worked in that they have a very defined culture. I also really like the flexibility - in terms of the hours I work and where I work. As long as I work my 40 hours, I can work whenever (and wherever) I like. As a writer, that’s huge. If I get writer’s block or suddenly get tired, I can rest, exercise, or go out for coffee, then come back refreshed. It makes my 40 hours of work soooo much more productive. And if I get lonely or bored with my home environment, I can meet up with colleagues at a coffee shop. The company is also dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion. It has a large and active DEI committee that I’m a part of. The President and Vice President of HR are part of our regular meetings. They don’t lead them (they let the employees do that), but they show their support and interest by regularly attending and participating.

Cons

Some people here aren’t big fans of the senior leaders. They’re not perfect, but they’re not bad, either. I’ve worked directly with practically all of them, and I don’t see many issues. At worst, I see a little indecisiveness. Most of the unhappiness here comes from a recent change in leadership. The company’s beloved founder and longtime CEO is stepping aside so that a new President could take over the day-to-day work. I came in last year, early in the transition, so I really had nothing to compare. I can say, though, that I really like the President. She’s kind, supportive, and respects your expertise. I’ve felt very comfortable working with her on projects.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Flexible Work Schedule Gets Taken Advantage Of

Oct 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Coworkers are amazing and are the only joy of the job

Cons

Pay is terrible. Hours are “flexible” which means that you don’t have a regular work schedule ever and that you’re expected to work late nights when things are busy, which is always.

10 people found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great company to work for!

Oct 1, 2021 - Editor
      Business Outlook

Pros

The hours are flexible, high level of autonomy, supportive co-workers and managers - Inclusive and positive company culture!

Cons

High expectations for workload and quality. Health benefits could be better.

2 people found this review helpful
    7. 1.0
      Former Employee

Believe the one star reviews.

Oct 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Good colleagues (although most of those are looking for something else)

Cons

- Unreasonably high workload expectations for frontline editing employees and many people managers - 100% or near 100% turnover on some teams, with a failure to ask why (or who) might have caused it. Issues with professional ethics and behaviors that are not aligned with core values. - Performative behavior to address above issues; silencing complaints and creating a culture where Slack messages of stuff you don't want to hear or want others to see is simply removed - Equity issues in salary benchmarking and processes

11 people found this review helpful
    8. 2.0
      Current Employee

Good people but company getting run into the ground. Leave while you can.

Aug 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people you work with are good at heart, they truly want to help make science better. The office is really nice, if you happen to be local to Durham. The company was allowing people to work remotely long before it became popular to do it, and before the pandemic. The benefits are decent. Health insurance is really cheap if you're single. There is some 401K matching. Unlimited sick leave policy is incredibly helpful.

Cons

On paper you can work remotely and at whatever times you want but work/life balance is impossible when toxic startup culture is forced on you and you’re expected to answer emails, respond to Slack messages, be in meetings, and work all day every day. This is so abusive because the company is over 15 years old, it’s not a startup. Company diversity is non-existent. There is a DEI committee that presents once a quarter about how they have once again done nothing. Why does it even exist? Good ideas rarely move from ideation to execution. It can be really frustrating to hear an idea mentioned in some meeting and then get mentioned over and over but zero progress has been made because it's not in the "three year vision". The company is trying to move from services to product. This involves a lot of exploitation of the workforce that currently does the work, and using us to train an AI program. But the AI is not good so to add insult to injury, the people being overworked and underpaid then have to fix the AI’s errors. Senior leadership doesn't seem to know what they are doing. A lot of them haven't even used the products they oversee. They’re sitting around collecting a paycheck while the company burns around them. Who is captaining this sinking ship? The CEO is absent. What does the company president do? The company got semi-acquired a while back and is being stripped of value so they are focusing more on profit than anything else. It’s so sad because they can actually be a good place to work again, but management has no incentive to let that happen when they can just keep bragging on powerpoints that they’re meeting profit targets and margins are higher. There is a high profile departure every week. Anyone still at the company just hasn’t found a new role yet. Morale is extremely low. Everyone I know is trying their best to leave. People are crying ALL THE TIME. Leadership is not even acknowledging that the entire HR team quit or that other long tenured employees have put in their notice! The list of open positions is getting longer by the day. Compensation is insultingly low unless you’re higher up. It’s so bad that the careers page does not show salary ranges. Incompetent / inexperienced people get hired into or promoted into roles they have no business being in. Meanwhile long tenured employees that actually know what needs to get done are ignored and passed over.

20 people found this review helpful
    9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Everyone is leaving for a reason

Sep 29, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are low enough in the company, your role is exactly the same regardless of the strategic orientation of the company, though this is probably not a good thing. If you are high enough, you don’t have to care about anyone else.

Cons

The creation of an environment where secrecy, hiding information and outright lying have become standard management practices. Tolerance of harassment and discrimination. Since I left, I have talked to a lot of my former colleagues and friends. I’ve seen the same pattern repeat over and over: they are in a position of trust and they’ve been asked to lie. Or not lie, but tell people intentionally misleading information when they ask why something is happening. Others are asked to do unethical things, in Growth or HR or Product. The worst have been sexually harassed or discriminated against. Those individual people don’t see the pattern, where longtime highly trusted employees are asked to make the majority of people feel like everything is the same while the company changes around them. People hit the point where they can’t do it anymore, and they leave. Many of those people have left without a next career step because it is just more important to get out. Maybe you haven’t experienced this, so you stay. But beware: - Did you manage a team in 2014 and it didn’t work out? Not only will they not let you manage people again, your inability to manage people will be a running joke among colleagues, even seven years later. - Did you have a bad interview for Director in 2016, maybe applying too early? It will be concluded on this basis that you are not promotable ever, and they might well be offended that you think you could be. Incredibly, I know at least two people for whom this was true. - Are you a universally recognized high performer? It will take weeks for anyone to look at your application for a promotion (yes, you must *apply* for a promotion), and then you will get some vague feedback about what is wrong with it and be told to wait another six months before trying again. Any misstep will be held against you, and it will take you a year or more to dig out of the hole you have been put in, if it happens at all. No one will tell you if this is happening to you. Some people are so beloved they can fail without consequence, but if you are wondering whether that applies to you, it doesn’t. Do not express any disappointment at not getting a role you applied for, or disagree with your placement on the career tracks, that will make you a bad culture fit. Under no circumstances ask for a promotion or raise. Asking is proof that you don’t deserve it, and it will be held against you. But the person who comes after you, probably a white man, will get 30k more than you were making.

11 people found this review helpful
    10. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Something is happening, but I’m not sure what or why

Jul 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Fun, intelligent, interesting colleagues (Mostly) enjoyable work that serves a global purpose Ability to work from home Good benefits package

Cons

Exhausting workload (yes, the hours are technically flexible, but there’s only so many options when you’re working ~60 hours/week…and it is important to note that although the HOURS are flexible, the weekly workload is NOT. This is an important distinction.) Hope you like to change your process weekly if not more often Mysterious exodus of numerous long-tenured, high-profile employees in many divisions over the past several months Hope you don’t mind slaving away in school through a PhD and then not being able to control whether you can take time off at Christmas/Thanksgiving/in summer to spend with your family!!

13 people found this review helpful