Reser's Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark A. Reser

1. "Purchasing"

Current Employee - Inventory in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Inventory in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Reser's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, good people and a good company. They offer opportunities for growth and development in house.

Cons

Entry level work is hard and tiresome. Summer hours are very long for the production and warehouse staffs.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow the people here. Although there are some language barriers with some of the employees, they are very smart people.

2. "Heart breaking experience"

Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Halifax, NC
    Former Employee - Maintenance Manager in Halifax, NC

I worked at Reser's full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family environment, reasonable benefits and a management team that truly functioned as a team

Cons

In the latter years unstable flux within upper management group

Advice to Management

Take care of you long term employees.

3. "I would not recommend this to my worst enemy."

Former Employee - Packager in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Packager in Topeka, KS

I worked at Reser's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Most of the people are cool
    -Nothing

Cons

-Terrible wage for a manufacturing job. (7.50/hr in 2012; 8.90/hr in 2016 and then bumped to 10.25/hr after they finally got it through their thick skulls we were being drastically underpaid.
    -Poor management; on my last day of work before I declared I quit and walked out the door we were running a double line of pudding with one man attempting to palletize it all by himself. I looked at my linelead and noticed there were 3 of them and one line either m worker at a table laughing and giggling while the rest of us were struggling. I ended up trying to do packaging and running to the other end of the line and trying to help the palletizer keep up and then running to pack more. This went on for at least 15 minutes with no help whatsoever from said "linelead" table. Eventually another co worker came up to me and told me to help push carts at which point I lost my cool and said that if they think if I'm going to do 3 jobs when we got 4 having a Lazy convention then I quit. And I did. No one should ever have to pull someone's dead weight, not to mention tolerating it for three weeks in a row. The selection of lineleads seems to be of poor judgement because of the 4 I knew we had, only one of them worked her tail off every day while the rest Sat at their tables the entire shift doing absolutely nothing.
    -Poor maintenance. What they do is they put Band-Aids on their machinery rather than properly maintaining them and so they break down constantly. Because of this, bandaging is costing the company more money in the long run rather to invest and maintain properly. An example was about 5 months ago when the freezer's motor blew and we didn't have a spare so we had to order another. During this wait we were sent to other plants for a few days. About four months later the exact same problem occurred. We were offered to work at another plant again but I personally declined because I've never worked a manufacturing job in my entire life where I was sent somewhere else because my own plant can't maintain equipment. When we came back the day we were told the freezer is working, we found it wasn't. And we had to wait four hours for them to get it running. And then the other freezer messed up so we had to wait for the other line to finish before we could start; it was nearly a double shift for us of our average time.
    -I was told I would be trained on a forklift when I got hired. Six months and not one step was taken. I felt like I had been lied to and deceived. Speaking of this, certain positions get higher wages than others. Two buddies of mine told me they were being shorted nearly 2.00/hr due to lack of upholding words.
    -HR is incompetent; they screwed up my health insurance twice in a row.
    -Everyone and their mother showed up to work high and/or drunk and reeked of the substance.
    -People kept stopping lines even when the product is to temperature to milk the clock and waste everyone else's time. Being a man who worked two jobs at this time it was simply intolerable when I seen this happen nearly every night.
    -The environment feels like a juvenile high school rather than a professional industry... Or a circus that simply was not entertaining.
    -Unsanitary; witnessed men throwing toilet paper on the ground and machines not properly sanitized.
    -Co workers with highly questionable backgrounds.
    -Supervisor tended to blame others for situations that were not their fault or not in their control.
    -Even the USD guy mentioned "How does this plant generate money? Everyone is standing around."
    -I noticed people hiding in the break room when they're not supposed to be and committing time theft and/or workers taking excessively long breaks, wearing on the morale of other workers.
    -I suspect discrimination; almost all supervisors are either African American or Hispanic. Whites are a minority, or maybe they just simply realize how many flaws this company has and avoid it like the Bubonic Plague, which I see why now that I've resigned for my second and final time.

Advice to Management

Grow a back bone and trim the fat. That's why I left. Sure, the machines constantly breaking down was already stressful enough but if anyone has to work 3x as hard while others are being lazy then it's not acceptable in my book. When I make a team, I expect everyone to contribute and if any of us didn't it would affect us all as a whole. Wage is better than what it was in 2016, but I think you'll have better standings if you started at 12.50/hr.
    Get your maintenance teams in and working on the machines properly on the weekends that you're not running production. You're choosing yourself more bandaging machines rather than investing to properly maintain them. An example here is let's say your left arm goes numb and you feel tightness in your chest. Do you treat it or ignore it? Well, if you ignore it you might die of a heart attack; the machines should be treated as such.

5. "Good Company But..."

Former Employee - Network Technician in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Network Technician in Portland, OR

I worked at Reser's full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere
    Good benefits
    Lots of company sponsored events (masseuses, Yoga, free lunch, etc)
    Gives back to the community

Cons

Raises based on promotion but no where to move up
    Company is becoming more and more 'corporate'
    Pay is way below what it should be
    Lots of gossip

Advice to Management

Give your employees more opportunities to move up and communicate better. Please make sure your employees aren't overworked, if someone leaves or is let go replace them.

6. "Meat Lumper"

Former Employee - Meat Lumper in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Meat Lumper in Beaverton, OR

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

Really zero cons to put onto wirds

7. "Horrible"

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Halifax, NC
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Halifax, NC

I worked at Reser's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

its not the work that's hard

Cons

its the supervisors, they have no work ethic or morals

Advice to Management

Cant expect for the team to follow if your not being a leader

8. "Food Technologist"

Former Employee - Food Technologist in Moore, OK
    Former Employee - Food Technologist in Moore, OK

Pros

Great people and management
    Good opportunities
    Promote from within

Cons

High turn over
    Bad insurance
    Do not recognize person skills soon

Advice to Management

change insurance policy

9. "Production supervisor"

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Reser's full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are great but not worth the cons honestly, I have nothing positive to say other than nice co-workers but that's because they are zombies that have worked over holidays and haven't had a day off in a year!

Cons

No support, no structure, constant battle with employee retention, 7 day work weeks for last year, horrible management and scheduling! I can't believe this company is still in operation by the way things are being done they are not competitive in wages so that is the largest reason for high employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Need to seriously restructure your entire plant management and above team in Midwest location!

10. "HR Generalist"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Reser's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and Family environment

Cons

Low pay for what you do

11. "Life at Reser's"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke Rapids, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke Rapids, NC

I worked at Reser's (Less than a year)

Pros

Pallet Jack & Forklift- Scan, check and transport all pallets to shipping.

Cons

We never knew what time we was getting off. Never seen my children. Worked 7 days constantly, couldn't take off any days, even if it was a month in advance.

Advice to Management

Think about your workers. We human as well.