Resource Data Inc Reviews in Anchorage, AK | Glassdoor

Jim Rogers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Pros

Company has commitment to published values, including work/life balance. Employees have a lot of flexibility defining their career path and have the opportunity to continue to assume more responsibility and authority. Good management support.

Cons

Like every job that I've ever had, some assignments are more fun than others. Some projects are extremely challenging based on schedule and budget

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on core business

2. "Not a Glamorous Life, but a Good Life"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(I've been at the Anchorage office for 2 years)

- Alaska. Need I say more?
    - Good work/life balance. People are expected to be productive (obviously), but it's not like so so crammed onto you on a daily basis like I've felt at other places in the past.
    - Generally local clients (remote working is encouraged, but client is ultimately an Alaskan organization usually)
    - Pleasant culture -- president of the company is often out fishing or skiing, people wear Carharts, lot of bike commuters, etc. Very generous when it comes to company-sponsored events (both in quantity and quality).
    - RDI has a positive outlook, contrary to the downward trend of the greater Alaskan economy

Cons

- I have mixed feelings about software consulting work in general. Some people love it, but my experience is that clients are one or more of the following: (1) in trouble, (2) have no idea what they're doing / have no idea how technology or technology development works, (3) their codebase is drowning in technical debt, partially because none of the dozens of consultants the client hired in the past addressed it, and partially because the client doesn't pay the consultant to do so.

- Although there is a mix of types of projects (some are really cool, some are lame), there is an overall trend of Alaskan organizations being far behind technologically, and in a lot of technical debt. Like maybe 5-10 years behind industry standards; government organizations at least 10.

- Because of the above points, I am not learning very much from a software development perspective. I'm learning a lot on how to kiss a client's butt and make them happy and deal with people-issues. But in terms of learning new software technologies, tools, best practice trends, etc. ... nada. But hey, I get to live in Alaska so whatever!

3. "Not Impressed"

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Resource Data Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer a variety of work and most employees are pleasant to work with. The Anchorage office is in a nice location.

Cons

Very expensive insurance packages, low salaries, disconnect between management and staff. This is an employee owned company. The ownership path is closely guarded and not spoken about. Continuing education is not encouraged.

Resource Data Inc Response

Apr 21, 2016 – Director, HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I’m sorry you didn’t have a great experience at RDI. We too are concerned with the high cost of health insurance and are taking proactive steps to... More

"Great Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, RDI is the best place I have worked. There is a big emphasis on work-life balance, the company is full of experts in their fields, and the culture is wonderful. Also, the management is some of the best I have encountered; they truly care about you and it shows.

Work schedules can be very flexible depending on the projects you're working on, and there are regular opportunities to work from home or remotely. In my experience, each team is different and what is acceptable varies from project to project.

There are a number of very smart, motivated individuals at RDI that truly enjoy the work they do. It's definitely a breath of fresh air. Socialization and team building is encouraged, and I've had very interesting conversations with my coworkers on many topics.

Also, there is a high degree of transparency at RDI, which I appreciate very much. I think it helps the motivated individuals grow together as team. Overall, I feel that I've been treated very well since I've been at RDI, and I would highly recommend working here to others.

Cons

The benefits are not the greatest, so keep that in mind when negotiating your salary. Also, promotions and raises generally only occur during performance reviews (annually after your initial six-month review).

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Stepping stone"

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time

Pros

Flexible schedule. Options to try different careers without leaving company. Good fit for generalists and salespeople.

Cons

No training. Poor compensation. Employee turn-over extraordinaire. Benefits are expensive and are even more expensive for 2016. Expertise is not paid correctly in any of the career tracks. More emphasis on billable hours than quality of work. Company reputation not always positive. Career opportunities are tied to you doing sales and becoming an account manager.

Advice to Management

Employee turn-over is costly to company reputation and company morale. Recognize and cultivate employee potential.

Resource Data Inc Response

Mar 25, 2016 – Director, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback and I apologize for a delayed response. Over the past several years our turnover has been tracking close to industry norms; however, we strive to be... More

"Solid Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although they are experiencing some turnover right now, they are trying to improve things. If your contract comes to an end, you don't have to worry about losing your job. That is huge. They treat their people as adults and they do not micromanage. If you work, you will do well. If plan to coast and goof-off, don't bother applying - you won't last. "Work/life balance" is not just a saying - they really mean it. (But there are time you have to works nights and weekends. Just suck it up - you are a professional.)

Cons

Opportunities can be a little limited. Benefits could also be better, but many companies are in the same situation.

Advice to Management

Just because you are doing well does not mean you can now slack off. Good management is not a destination but a journey. Continue your journey, you are on track.

"Great culture, we want all stakeholders to thrive and grow"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance is not just a catch phrase here, we actually walk the talk. Very customer oriented, as you would expect from a consulting firm. Lots of opportunity for growth and development for self-starters and hard workers. Very flexible around career direction and priorities, including time-off and leave of absence. Very collegial, really a great group of people.

Cons

Not much of a ladder if you're looking to "climb" for an inflated salary (fairly flat organization, which is a plus in my book). Not much mentoring or hand-holding (again, this can be seen as a good thing). To be honest, there are not many cons if you're the right fit for the culture. Some clients can be "challenging", but that just goes with the territory (consulting).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Maybe start some sort of mentoring program?

"Great company, very flexible, cares about employees"

Current Employee - GIS Programmer Analyst in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - GIS Programmer Analyst in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RDI is a great place to work, especially if you're starting out in your field. There are a lot of more experienced employees, and the team structure for projects mean that you can glean a lot of information from coworkers, who are all ready, willing and able to help. Project managers are also wonderful. They give a lot of latitude on how you get the work done, as long as it gets done. Very flexible. They have a big commitment to work/life balance and make sure that all employees - from the top on down have the same access to working from home or elsewhere offsite if needed.

Cons

Benefits could be a little more robust, but they have been getting better. In the short time I've work there, they added short term disability, which they previously didn't have.

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you're doing fantastic!

"Excellent place to work, flexible and really cares about employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Resource Data Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work hard, do quality work and have ambition, you will be rewarded handsomely at RDI. They are very good about letting you guide the kinds of work you want to do, and then environment is as laid back as you will ever see in a business of this size. Salary is in line with other companies, benefits are good and getting better every year, and the HR department is the most active I've ever seen and genuinely cares about employees.

Cons

Not as much leave time or retirement contribution as the clients that you will be working for. Management is almost too relaxed in a way, and though it is part of the company's desired culture, it leads to communication problems between workgroups at times.

Advice to Management

Increase PTO and retirement contributions, establish clear paths to shareholder status for all employees, not just Programmers, GIS and Project Managers. Reward fast-achieving employees with interim reviews/raises instead of waiting until the annual review.

"Great place to work; plenty of growth opportunities; sane management"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RDI really commits to employees who are committed to the company - there is a lot of room to grow your career and to take on responsibility.

The company is growing, which is creating a lot of space for advancement.

RDI has a serious commitment to work/life balance - flexible schedules, remote work, leave without pay, and a company culture that does not encourage overwork. The retention rate is high.

Cons

Pay and benefits are kept at average levels for consulting companies - so RDI is mediocre there. Non-salary benefits have been improving in the last two years, but health insurance is still just OK. The leave-without-pay benefit often only works for employees in a financial position to use it. The paid leave is slightly below average for technology positions, mostly because there are so few standard holidays.

Working at RDI comes with the standard drawbacks of consulting, but the company does a good job of balancing its clients' needs with its employees.