Resource Data Inc Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Jim Rogers

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Programmer/Analyst experience"

Pros

I have worked at Resource Data Inc full-time for 3 years.

The company is great and provides plenty of opportunities. Employees have a lot of flexibility and ultimately shape their own destiny within the company.

Cons

Some projects are stressful due to the schedule and budget issues.

2. "Not a Glamorous Life, but a Good Life"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(I've been at the Anchorage office for 2 years)

- Alaska. Need I say more?
    - Good work/life balance. People are expected to be productive (obviously), but it's not like so so crammed onto you on a daily basis like I've felt at other places in the past.
    - Generally local clients (remote working is encouraged, but client is ultimately an Alaskan organization usually)
    - Pleasant culture -- president of the company is often out fishing or skiing, people wear Carharts, lot of bike commuters, etc. Very generous when it comes to company-sponsored events (both in quantity and quality).
    - RDI has a positive outlook, contrary to the downward trend of the greater Alaskan economy

Cons

- I have mixed feelings about software consulting work in general. Some people love it, but my experience is that clients are one or more of the following: (1) in trouble, (2) have no idea what they're doing / have no idea how technology or technology development works, (3) their codebase is drowning in technical debt, partially because none of the dozens of consultants the client hired in the past addressed it, and partially because the client doesn't pay the consultant to do so.

- Although there is a mix of types of projects (some are really cool, some are lame), there is an overall trend of Alaskan organizations being far behind technologically, and in a lot of technical debt. Like maybe 5-10 years behind industry standards; government organizations at least 10.

- Because of the above points, I am not learning very much from a software development perspective. I'm learning a lot on how to kiss a client's butt and make them happy and deal with people-issues. But in terms of learning new software technologies, tools, best practice trends, etc. ... nada. But hey, I get to live in Alaska so whatever!

3. "Programmer/Analyst mixed experience"

I worked at Resource Data Inc full-time

Pros

The main company was very friendly and caring.
    People there were excellent and committed to your happiness.

Cons

The smaller branch in Fairbanks was too small to be successful at the time.
    Low starting salary.

Advice to Management

Invest in larger infrastructure for new branches right away.

4. "Good Company"

I worked at Resource Data Inc full-time

Pros

Exciting company to work for with lots of opportunities.

Cons

Work sometimes slow. Management did not always provide direction.

5. "Project Manager"

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time

Pros

Work/life balance, interesting projects, talented and helpful coworkers, great management.

Cons

No cons to speak of at the moment.

6. "Programmer / Analyst"

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Resource Data Inc (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible Hours, ok benefits, beautiful work environment, nice co-workers.

Cons

Cultral issues, peoples egos are overly invested in products that have poor design decisions behind them preventing criticism. Mostly remote interaction with management and senior staff led to miscommunications and poor employee engagement.

Advice to Management

Programmers often make poor leaders. Telecommuting is not a perfect replacement for in person interaction.

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

Pros

Company has commitment to published values, including work/life balance. Employees have a lot of flexibility defining their career path and have the opportunity to continue to assume more responsibility and authority. Good management support.

Cons

Like every job that I've ever had, some assignments are more fun than others. Some projects are extremely challenging based on schedule and budget

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on core business

"Feast or Famine"

Current Employee - GIS Programmer/Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - GIS Programmer/Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time

Pros

Great work-life balance. Compensation is generous. Management is very hands-off, which is appealing to a lot of people. Co-workers are all friendly.

Cons

If you are not on a project and are not a senior employee, you are assigned maintenance work on the company Intranet. This work can be frustrating, especially for non-programmers. Benefits are also somewhat weak, but the company is trying to improve in that area.

Advice to Management

Don't forget about brand-new employees and employees not on project work. Be more creative when it comes to using non-billable hours.

Resource Data Inc Response

Mar 25, 2016 – Director, HR

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. The RDI Intranet definitely is full-featured, and I realize it can be a bit overwhelming getting started on it. It does provide stability for... More

9. "Not Impressed"

Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Resource Data Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer a variety of work and most employees are pleasant to work with. The Anchorage office is in a nice location.

Cons

Very expensive insurance packages, low salaries, disconnect between management and staff. This is an employee owned company. The ownership path is closely guarded and not spoken about. Continuing education is not encouraged.

Resource Data Inc Response

Apr 21, 2016 – Director, HR

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and I’m sorry you didn’t have a great experience at RDI. We too are concerned with the high cost of health insurance and are taking proactive steps to... More

"Great Experience"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Resource Data Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall, RDI is the best place I have worked. There is a big emphasis on work-life balance, the company is full of experts in their fields, and the culture is wonderful. Also, the management is some of the best I have encountered; they truly care about you and it shows.

Work schedules can be very flexible depending on the projects you're working on, and there are regular opportunities to work from home or remotely. In my experience, each team is different and what is acceptable varies from project to project.

There are a number of very smart, motivated individuals at RDI that truly enjoy the work they do. It's definitely a breath of fresh air. Socialization and team building is encouraged, and I've had very interesting conversations with my coworkers on many topics.

Also, there is a high degree of transparency at RDI, which I appreciate very much. I think it helps the motivated individuals grow together as team. Overall, I feel that I've been treated very well since I've been at RDI, and I would highly recommend working here to others.

Cons

The benefits are not the greatest, so keep that in mind when negotiating your salary. Also, promotions and raises generally only occur during performance reviews (annually after your initial six-month review).

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!