Resources For Human Development Reviews | Glassdoor

Resources For Human Development Reviews

Updated April 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There is a very open environment and community (in 9 reviews)

• In addition to, the great benefits & salary (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management Staff unstable and I experienced communication problems (in 11 reviews)

• Very low salaries with no raises, little room to be promoted (in 7 reviews)

"rethink before you work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Resources For Human Development (Less than a year)

Pros

good salary, benefits good but expensive

Cons

3 people quit on the same day. the company itself is good, the woodland park location has a horrible management system. employees have no support from management, and management does nothing but play games online and look through facebook all day.

"Seems great on the surface, but ..."

Former Employee - Central Office Fiscal Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Central Office Fiscal Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the people that work here really do care about the mission and the people the organization serves. The benefits are reasonable; time off is generous. Continuing education is fantastic for some job functions, non existent for others.

Cons

Management is clueless about so many things: the real pressures facing the front-line staff, how interpersonal and job-related conflicts should be solved, fiscal responsibility, learning from employees. Most of the senior managers have been entrenched for 25 years or more, and most have never worked anywhere else. The organization claims to be values-based, but those values are followed only when convenient. Little to no room for advancement. Nepotism is huge. Conflict resolution and compromise are nonexistant; RHD is a 'my way or the highway" kind of place. Burnout and turnover are rampant, especially among front-line folks.

Advice to Management

One of the values is TRUST, so TRUST your employees. Get out and network with other nonprofit managers to see how the real world works.

3. "Direct Care Associate"

Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Nursing Assistant in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time

Pros

I love different opportunities and working with clients with behavior issues was great.

Cons

Employees was very childish with problems all of the time.

5. "Lead DSP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Excellent consumers and parents are the best

Cons

Document ion is necessary of everything. Program needs more structure

Advice to Management

Greeat company

"Residential Counselor"

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Wallingford, CT
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Wallingford, CT

I worked at Resources For Human Development (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in scheduling, great benefits, enjoyable experiences with clients

Cons

High turnover rate, terrible management, low pay and no raises, company causes too much stress for what they offer.

Advice to Management

Get a better management team and pay some real money.

"Not a very friendly environment if you don't have any social work experience - very cliquish."

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Resources For Human Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance. Schedules are flexible. Very client oriented. Family oriented.

Cons

Not very organized or structured. Decentralized units that make up their own rules and regulations. Headquarters establishes vague guidelines. Provides very little guidance. Not business oriented. Promotions based on friendships and relationships. Does not hold employees accountable.

Advice to Management

HQ needs to set the tone for its units. Provide specific guidelines and structure. Visit the units more often to determine any deficiencies. Provide more on the job training.

"Sigh.."

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Resources For Human Development full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of hours
    Participants and Co workers fun to work with

Cons

Lack of leadership
    Management only cares about the bottom line
    no support from the top to the bottom
    scheduling issues
    people won't stay because they feel alienated and unappreciated
    no advancement opportunities for minorities

Advice to Management

Listen .you don't have all of the answers

"Assistant Director"

Former Employee - Assistant Director in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

It is incredibly difficult to find something remotely positive to say about this employer because I was not treated like a person when I worked there.

Cons

They have no sympathy for your personal life. I was terminated for missing two weeks of work when I traveled to Michigan when my dad was in a coma and dying. I returned from his funeral after 9 business days away to a letter in the mail that I had been terminated due to my absences. No phone call or sympathy card or even a question of whether my dad had lived or died. Made the grieving process so much worse.

Advice to Management

I was hired to work there as an assistant director a few years back. My first day on the job, my dad had a heart attack so I went to Michigan to the hospital where he was in a coma, with the office's permission. He ended up dying two weeks later. After the funeral, I returned to Philadelphia (two weeks after my start date) to a letter in the mailbox stating that I had been terminated from my position, which made my bereavement even more difficult. They didn't even have the decency of a phone call or any expression of sympathy or to even ask if my dad had survived the heart attack. This was the worst employment experience of my life and was so difficult to get over. It seems strange that they spent two months and three interviews to hire me, but terminated me for missing two weeks to attend to my dying father. A cruel, heartless employer.

"Stressful,confusing,annoying and unprofessional."

Former Employee - Tss in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Tss in Phila, PA

Pros

Relaxed.
    Office people are nice and helpful for the most part.
    Recieved an interview quickly.

Cons

Unprofessional regarding communication and getting people to work.

Took me almost 3 MONTHS to start work as a TSS. At training they said you will only get paid for training once you take your first case because people have recieved money in the past and went some where else. Now I know why. THE WAIT TIME and inconsistent work.

I learned they cut a lot of jobs so the work load is strained among the office people. Therefore it takes a long time to do basically anything. If I inquire about something on Monday, they don't they act on it until 4 o'clock Wednesday. Which means I have to wait until the following Monday for an answer. Hardly anyone communicates in a reasonable time period. It takes at least 3 days to 1 week to get an answer from anyone in their office and their affiliates.

You can't fax the time sheets so you have to literally go hand the paperwork to them.

Weekly Supervision is unnecessary and cuts in to the time with the student and paycheck. I believe it should be every other week. They say they pay you for travel time but that's only 30 minutes. It takes at least an hour to get to your destination.

There is a heck of a lot of paperwork,clearances and proof of your college education to get started then you are stalled and asked to wait for their call. I try to be patient and understanding but I feel they add more stress to my life. RHD makes people jump through hoops to get what they need but are slow on work pay times and basically anything they need to do for you. They wonder why people leave or get upset.

I still haven't found a steady case. After a couple weeks, I am back home and have yet to receive a check.

Work is too far and in between. Communication is HORRIBLE!

I'm looking for another agency.

Advice to Management

Get better with communication. Shorten the wait time for work. Have more than one person working on communication with employees.

No I would not recommend.

"been employed over a year"

Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Resident Advisor in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

plenty of overtime available if needed

Cons

management should keep it more professional