Responsys Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Demanding pace causes the usual juggling work-life balance challenges (in 6 reviews)

• Zero investment in employee career growth within Oracle (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

I worked at Responsys (More than 8 years)

Pros

Visionary thought leadership, great people, focused on the long-term view. Customer and employee centric and also produced a great investor return

Cons

Demanding pace causes the usual juggling work-life balance challenges

2. "Loved it until they became Oracle"

Current Employee - Email/Web Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Email/Web Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Responsys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people to work with and positive office culture
    - Enjoy the day to day work I do

Cons

- They sold to Oracle
    - Oracle is driving the talent out and limiting opportunities

Advice to Management

Management within our office cares about their employees and works hard to maintain culture what they can of Responsys office culture and work, despite Oracle.

3. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart, dedicated employees, high-profile clients and great product. Work/life balance is very reasonable and work environment is easy-going. A great place to grow and learn.

Cons

Not enough transparency between upper management and employees.

4. "Not the best, not the worst"

Former Employee - Program Manager
    Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great and knowledgeable people to work with. People seem to work well with each other. In the heart of downtown SF.

Cons

Depends on which team/manager you work for. At the end of the day, this is a sales environment and they only care about the bottom line....at the expense of talented employees. Long hours with no real benefits.

Advice to Management

Take care of the people who got you to the position you're in now. Continue to nurture the values that got you into the position you are in today.

5. "Excellent company to work for. Great minds to mingle with"

Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Project Manager in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities are endless. Sky is the limit. It had a startup kind of environment leading to a seasoned organization - processes were evolving and there is ample opportunity to develop those.

Cons

Rewards are slow in coming but sure. So you have to stick on long enough to reap it.

6. "Great work environment"

I worked at Responsys full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Laid back.

Cons

Hard to move up at times. Bought by Oracle.

"Miss the old Responsys"

Current Employee - Senior Product Consultant in Millbrae, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Consultant in Millbrae, CA

I have been working at Responsys (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, loved our CEO

Cons

No bonuses, departments work independently

8. "Packaging the company for sale (ultimately bought by Oracle)"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Bruno, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in San Bruno, CA

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good email marketing technology platform. All email marketers over-hype and over-sell, but Responsys platform is really pretty capable (if you can deal with the complexity).
    Young and growing/vibrant company, which makes for an exciting place to work...but not a stable or predictable one.
    With a lot of growth and change also have many opportunities to work with different clients or to change roles within the company.

Cons

Work-Life balance is tough here.
    Quality of 1st and 2nd level managers is all over the map -- no real standards for promoting someone into a management role, and it shows.
    Lack of formal training process for getting new consultants up to speed -- just throw you in to the deep end of the pool and tell you to swim.
    Executive management is mostly approachable but at the end of the day they are pumping the value of the company so they can sell it and cash out. Don't even *think* about getting in the way of that.

Advice to Management

Invest in the Professional Services side of the business -- your customer sat ratings depend on it! Acknowledge that the platform is complex for clients to deal with, and invest in providing them with the necessary tools and guidance to get set up, and then later to grow their capabilities.

9. "Visual Designer"

Former Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've used my knowledge of email design in my current job, which has helped a lot. Working there developed my ability to design to the pixel, which helps when creating style guides and redline documents.

Cons

I didn't feel like I was setup to succeed. From the moment I sat at my desk on the first day, till the time I left, I was constantly made aware of the things I did wrong, but wasn't coached on how to better the outcome. I am not a designer that needs coddling, but when I was working 15 hour days (ON EMAIL THAT NOBODY WILL SEE BECAUSE MY CLIENT IS FROM THE 90's..I won't mention by name) the majority of the week, a little "hey, I really appreciate the work you're doing" would have been neat.
    I was told "we threw you to the sharks, and you failed, so now we can't really trust you..." This was the response I got after I had worked on a client campaign in which I had never worked on before. It felt really harsh, and again, there was no effort to help me get "up to speed" with this client. Meh.
    Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like people. Create an environment that is positive, wherein if someone "fails", they are able to be brought back up. Compassion goes a long way.

"Too many changes in a short span"

I worked at Responsys full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong Company with a confident management with good industry track record. Have a very focused approach to sales and going after them aggressively. Liked the fact that they knew what they were doing and where they were going.

Cons

Hot headed VP of Engineering/CTO. Low ball you on salaries and frugal benefits. Lack of flexibility for remote employees. I had a choice to either relocate or move on.

Advice to Management

Management has helped themselves to huge compensation and left behind the foot solders. While the company is doing good, it is not just because of Management only. All employees are contributing for it.