Restaurant Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

Restaurant Technologies Reviews

2.0
Jeffrey R. Kiesel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good people; customer relationships not ideal (in 6 reviews)

• Great company with industry-leading technology (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, unrealistic goals placed on managers (in 7 reviews)

• No support from upper management (in 4 reviews)

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Restaurant Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Loved the National Account I took care of most of the time. The technology was great when it worked. All the tools you needed to close the sale.

Cons

Much more travel than expected no quality of life.Equipment had many issues because the accounts staff was young and inexperienced. My Boss was a micro manager and couldn't understand when someone didn't want our product.The Pay didn't match the hours invested.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people for a change...

"It's ok"

I have been working at Restaurant Technologies full-time

Pros

Good People. Fast paced environment makes the days fly by. There always seems to be left over food in the lunch room free of charge... I guess that's a plus.

Cons

Very little work/life balance.

"No Vision, No Plan, Lackluster Results"

I worked at Restaurant Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Small to Mid-Size company with the potential to grow and flourish.....

Cons

Senior leadership, all the way to the very top, does not have a clear vision nor an actionable overarching plan for how to make that happen.

In the absence of those two key components, what they do have is a heavily entrenched “go faster” mentality. Most recently this has manifested itself in an ongoing series of initiatives called sprints. The idea being that if the company strings enough of these sprints together across the span of a fiscal year, it will grow considerably more than it would otherwise. Now, if you earn equity shares as a part of your compensation package, I’m sure that this approach sounds like a terrific idea. Unfortunately, sprinting is always an unsustainable short term effort. The end result is an organization that can’t seem to make it to the finish line in the long run.

Additionally, the company has made an effort to attract and hire talented individuals to lead and manage its critical depot operations only to prescribe to those very individuals (post-hire) EXACTLY how they are to lead and, ultimately, micro-manage the business as a "condition of their employment." To ensure compliance senior operations leaders and multiple other support functions literally bird-dog the daily, weekly and monthly activities of all depot leaders and their hourly staffs. It's just about as autocratic and long handed as a management style can get.

To complicate matters, the majority of depot locations are generally understaffed and over-tasked. As a depot leader you can expect the work/life balance equation to be heavily skewed towards work in a 7 days per week operation. Burnout is a reality. Retention is a challenge.

At the end of the day the company’s leaders are sending a mixed message. They want the organization to go faster or “sprint” continuously yet they are highly prescriptive and want every process and work stream to be micromanaged to exacting detail which requires time and attention.

Advice to Management

Correct your flawed business model and figure out how to deliver steady sustainable growth over the long term.

More importantly, place less emphasis on what you see as urgent activities like business development opportunities, customer issues, weekly/monthly financial performance and your window dressing retention efforts (to name a few) and focus more on improving your culture if you want to grow your business and deliver outstanding results.

"Make sure you know what you're getting into before accepting a role here"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Mendota Heights, MN
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mendota Heights, MN

I worked at Restaurant Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a strong set of core values that they seem to believe in and some of the people there are genuinely nice.

Cons

While they believe they are hiring under these set of "values", they inaccurately described the position I was accepting, they promoted my supervisor only to end up letting him go, and I was treated like I was an admin vs. an account manager with experience. While they may hire these people with the right culture fit, they aren't necessarily the right people in the right seats, which is important for any business to do in order to grow and be successful. I ignored the negative reviews on Glassdoor (and I should not have), however, I would suggest you interview extensively and make sure this is both the role you want, that you like your supervisor (and trust he/she), and that this is a good fit for you. I found out very quickly this wasn't the right company or the right role, really, for me, in a very short time frame. I just wish I had seen through it quicker and not have accepted the role. The account management practice is very new and they had to hire a 3rd party company to tell them that account management (taking care of your customers) and retention is the right thing to do and how to do it! Emails and phone calls go unresponded to by employees in the field. The HR team is cliquey and is the most inappropriate, unprofessional group of HR individuals I've worked around - discussing politics and employee issues around other employees, things that HR should know not to talk about around other employees. I do not see strong leadership within the organization that will take them where they need to go and grow, long-term. Be wary after you quit, they kept paying me, and I had to let them know so they could stop depositing money into my account, and then they were rather rude about it - as if this was was somehow my fault. There was no exit interview other than a survey emailed to me, no one in HR talked to me. When I first started, they made you go onto Glassdoor during week 1 training (as if you know enough to write a review either way, positive or negative) and write a positive review - the negative reviews are here for a reason, as clearly there are enough of them. If you do not like gossipy environments, I do not recommend at all. They also do not train you on oil management, at all. I believe they think they do, but the sales trainer doesn't even understand it, so all you learn is their sales philosophy, and not oil management - kind of important in working for an oil management company.

Advice to Management

Hire strong leadership and invest time to ensure you have the correct people in the right seats instead of only hiring based on values. Take a serious look at your HR team - they are not professional, good at what they do, nor are they approachable, which, they should be. I would also look into the Depots as they are often the direct experience the customer has with your organization and a lot of them are not well run.

"It's Been Nice - here's your severance - So Long!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Restaurant Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed my time at RTI for several years. There was a huge disconnect at the top and rivalry between the founder and CEO. It wasn't pretty and made for an uncomfortable work environment. The community outreach and all it's introductory initiatives happened during my tenure. It appears they still value the community and help out those less fortunate. The pay was good as were the benefits, but respect deteriorated during my tenure.

Cons

I was blind to what was going on behind closed doors, even though I worked relatively closely to those at the top. I saw numerous "excellent" employees suddenly termed for no good reason. In my opinion, once a decision was made to get rid of you, there was no turning back. Many good employees at various levels in the company were moving on to their next journey - with a moments notice. Then it was my turn to go…yet I hadn't received a bad review, any warnings, any developmental areas to work on, etc. I fought for my job, but it didn't matter. I was going to be given another "entry level" job at the same pay…HUM, how does that work? I saw the light at the end of the tunnel, but continued to work until they found a New Me! Meanwhile, the work environment was less than professional and I continued to get no good, real reason for the change. After several months of looking for the new me, it happened. A replacement waltzed in over 23 years younger than me and this baby boomer took the proverbial hike!

Advice to Management

Ethics, respect, and a great work environment have been slowly been tossed by the wayside. The narcissist at the top, needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror and get over himself! Try running the company by yourself - it wouldn't work!

6. "Service Manager"

Pros

Challenging workplace, good people at local levels

Cons

Constant changes in management, aging fleet

Advice to Management

Invest in delivery trucks, find a way to retain quality people

"Non-consistent is consistent"

Former Employee - Account Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Restaurant Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independence, your competence is mandatory if you want to fit in.

Cons

Inconsistent with training. Either you get it or you have to "figure it out."

Advice to Management

Train you managers to be manager and not belittle the AS position.

8. "Micro managed"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver

Pros

Pays well and fosters local family atmosphere.

Cons

Severely micromanaged and full of redundant paper.

"Beware!"

Current Employee - Service Manager
    Current Employee - Service Manager

I have been working at Restaurant Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

working with some really good people, including some in our corporate office. flexible i.e. being able to come in & take off when you need to, but see below

Cons

while you can work a flexible schedule, you're always on call, it doesn't matter what day, hour, holiday, you WILL be working even when not at the office. you constantly hear that the sky is falling i.e. we aren't profitable enough. truth be told, our CEO is an idiot. we were bought out 3 years ago with the goal of growing the company then selling it, nothing wrong with that, but our CEO is incompetent as evidenced by his "business plan", leadership style - (don't question anything!) and continuing bungling judgment. his advice to a company survey saying we don't have enough employees to do most jobs? "you'll have to work long hours and more days". He brought in a consultant a few years ago who was as dumb as him and helped cripple the company, to which we still haven't recovered. He forced out the guy who founded the company, and announced it in a very short email late on a Friday afternoon. He promotes a brownnosing & incompetent atmosphere, and surrounds himself with like minded fools. The emperor has no clothes! (and no common sense)

Advice to Management

It's time for a change at the top. The buck is suppose to stop with the top person, but lord knows it's never his fault. Time to be a real man - admit you have failed as a CEO, and resign.

"use to be great! mediocre now"

Current Employee - Master Service Technician in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Master Service Technician in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Restaurant Technologies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

pay is not bad. good teammates(drivers,techs)

Cons

management(upper-mid-lower) demands much more than gives back. merits and seniority means nothing. constantly issues even w/40hrs work week. misleading on paid holydays routine and pto. management-- nothing but brownnosers. whoever speaks up-*you are fired!*.micromanagement gallore. bunch of opportunists and deletantsin the corporate office. current policies discourage to work hard and efficient. current ceo w/ top management want to sell out company only in mind to fill they own pockets****my current location is not in Cincinnati--for security reasons*****

Advice to Management

stand for your team/crew. have some cahonnes. corporate is NOT always right