Restaurants Unlimited Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Restaurants Unlimited CEO Jim Eschweiler
Jim Eschweiler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people working in the restaurants, a few long time employees and home office teams are very helpful (in 5 reviews)

• Fun people, well run restaurant, good menu with good food I was proud to serve (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Some of the posts on here are from the home office themselves trying to depict a fantasy world within (in 7 reviews)

• I don't have much in the way of cons, sometimes the work environment is what you make of it (in 4 reviews)

1. "Server"

I have been working at Restaurants Unlimited part-time

Pros

Good tips, high volume restaurant

Cons

Some managers are not competent

2. "Sous chef"

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entry level job at best.

Cons

The chef at lake Oswego. Very unprofessional. Very unprofessional. An h.r. disaster. Steer clear of this company at all costs. Money is the only thing they offer so if your willing to sell your soul and work for the worst chefs this business has to offer, head to stanfords. You have better options elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Sell the brand. Move on.

3. "Upper management are terrorist"

Current Employee - Host/Hostess in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Host/Hostess in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Restaurants Unlimited part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I get paid way more than most 21 year olds. I needed a few more words in this section to even qualify as a review.

Cons

I have to endure the vibe of aushwitgz for 7 hours with very little breaks. Upper management is ego driven, nobody in the restaurant seems like friends.

Advice to Management

Excite your employees maybe? Be fun?

"The worst restaurant experience of my career"

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited part-time

Pros

It was close to my house, I guess?

Cons

Long time server/bartender. This will sound like a disgruntled lazy employee but in reality I am far from it. I was not fired, I performed well and was well liked. Anyway, prior to working here I had frequented several RUI restaurants and the service was always poor. Why? Because it is impossible to give quality service with their methods. In lieu of a barback, busser or food runner, even on busy days like Mother's Day, they rely on the servers. Imagine, Mother's Day, table of 8 just sat awaiting my greeting, I have a table of 5 awaiting drinks and 2 awaiting appetizers. Management decides everyone needs to stop and roll 25 silverware rolls. So now, it is a good 15 minutes before my table even sees me. Food is sitting in the window. Drinks are melting on the bar. Great use of my time?

Now, I'm in the back filling soups for my table when I'm scolded for leaving the line without carrying out food to another server's table. I am not the kind of server that says "that is not my table" but on the busiest, pickiest eater day of the year, delivering food to another server's table is never that simple. Something is always wrong, they need extra dressing, etc etc and I end up running around an additional 10-15 mins getting follow up items for a table that is on the opposite side of the restaurant from my section, while my table sits wondering where I am. This is why you have food runners on busy days? Oh and an hour later, another 15 rolls of silverware while my table sat without a drink order because I wasn't allowed to leave the line until they were complete.

After all of this - 2-3 hours of side work at minimum wage. Excessive. People would start doing it early, before they are off the floor. Awesome image of your server who is carrying your food after they just carried out 2 disgusting, heavy bags of garbage to the equally disgusting, smelly dumpster out back? To go off the floor, where we make money, to doing 2-3 hours of sidework at minimum wage is beyond excessive. But like I stated earlier, they do not hire other staff for this. The server is ultimately responsible for what most restaurants who consider themselves upscale have 4 other people doing. I never felt like I provided the level of service I know I can and it impacted the money I made and also the reputation of the restaurant.

Advice to Management

If they staffed accordingly, maybe management wouldn't need to scream at people all the time.

5. "Manager"

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited full-time

Pros

good pay, Good food and fun people

Cons

bad insurance, poor culture. no accountability

Advice to Management

dont be afraid to fire some people

6. "Banquet Server"

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited part-time

Pros

Good pay. Easy events. Relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

Management took themselves too seriously. Stop acting so tough. Either help out, or back off.

"Titanic sinking"

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited full-time

Pros

Good people in the restaurants. Work hard. Care about what they are doing.

Cons

Home Office. Executives keep pushing restaurants to cut expenses to make more profit but will keep the Seahawk season tickets or Mariners Diamond Club seats for themselves. Or buy the HO lunch every Friday. The company is old. Tired. Needs new leadership and new face lift in both cosmetic and food.

Advice to Management

Advice to Sun. Replace your executives. Being with a company for 25 years doesn't make you an expert. Or watch your Titanic sink.

8. "Server"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Restaurants Unlimited full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Staff is everything . We run these restaurants . We're selling everything . We are the front lines

Cons

There is very little in the way of positive affirmations. There is not enough support .

Advice to Management

Although these are tough times for the industry costs go up , they always have . Labor is labor . You pay it . Look around the conference table and rack up what all those salaries are costing the company . Put the power to the individual restaurants to make these decisions and dump the salaries . Top heavy in the corporate office is a kiss of death .

"The grass isn't greener here... trust the reviews"

Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Restaurants Unlimited full-time (More than a year)

Pros

restaurant people and environment; the food is mostly good, the guy who designs it at corporate knows his stuff; otherwise not a great job and a poor long term choice as a company; brand is old and won't compete in the future.

Cons

Pay and benefits are bad. corporate owners continue pressure to make us cut labor because costs are going up. labor costs are going up everywhere not just here in Portland the answer isn't to reduce hours. bad idea, service suffers. corporate owners should work in the restaurants for a month to understand how things work. I wouldn't let a friend work here but I would tell someone I don't like it's a great company.

Advice to Management

do the opposite of what you're doing

"Absolutely no executive leadership"

Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Restaurant Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Restaurants Unlimited full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The restaurants are in great locations, a lot of them have nice waterfront views. The food is good in general. Not many other pros to list.

Cons

Like many of my co-workers in mid level management, I can't wait to get another job. The leadership in this company has no clue how to run a business. It continues to get worse. I actually enjoyed my job a few years ago and now I hate it. They are trying to whip dead horses to get more money to cover their overhead. There is not one person in the top four of the company who knows anything about running a restaurant business.

Advice to Management

They won't take advice. The already 'know it all"