Restoration Hardware Lead Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Restoration Hardware Lead Sales Associate Reviews

Updated Nov 13, 2016

1.1
Restoration Hardware Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Gary Friedman (no image)
Gary Friedman
  1. "Retail but rewarding"

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you love anything related to interior design, you'll fall in love with the furnishings and accessories, employee discount and a generally friendly team of people to work with.

Cons

Long retail hours and some holidays, evenings and weekends, late nights with visual display changes

Restoration Hardware2015-09-09

"Run don't walk.... AWAY!"

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for less than a year

Pros

So many Great people and new stores are beautiful! Gary has an incredible vision! Headed for success in the future!

Cons

Promotions based on "clicks" not talent. Gossip runs rampant and it starts at the top of the Florida region! It felt like high school

Advice to Management

Senior management should be terminated in Florida

Restoration Hardware2016-11-13

"Talented Designers Need Not Apply"

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

The Sales staff at the gallery level are probably some of the nicest most amazing people I have ever met. Young for the most part but full of hope and excited to be part of something cool. I still count many of the people I worked with as friends. Attracting great people is one thing retaining them is another. If you are young and want experience but have no intention of staying for long or making RH a career this is the place for you to learn: learn how NOT to manage people. This is not they way to manage your employees.

Cons

Attracting great people is one thing retaining them is another. The "Core Values" is used to manipulate the situation in favor of management. At store level it is used aggressively verging on cult perhaps if they served more cool- aid! Its abundantly clear that the leaders attitude is all people are replaceable. The morning meetings are suppose to be a pep rally. God forbid you should mention anything negative during the pat ourselves on the back hug fest. It's very clear that productive discussions of issues or ways to improve things are not welcome. I spent two years working there as a full time sales associate. I am an educated and experienced Interior Design Professional and came to the store with 20 years of experience in the industry. My sales reflected that experience with sales accounting for 20% of the galleries annual sales. I performed the duties of the Lead Designer but was never rewarded the position. It's abundantly clear that management did not like the fact that I would report problems in writing or would call them out when they were not using the Core Values in the spirit with which they are intended. Leaders were a cheerleader click. I as a mature male did not fit in. I was allowed to perform all the functions of the design leader without the title or benefits. When i was recognized (for selling $125,000 in a week) by upper management I was rewarded with a $5.00 Starbucks gift cards and a bucket of popcorn! That's just insulting. Even though my work load was outrageous trying to keep up with the demand from clients for my design services I was still expected to clean the gallery on Sundays. There is no room for advancement at RH. Those that were promoted to Leaders soon found themselves trapped into this strange world of cheer leader peppy denial. The truth is its a furniture store RH is not saving the world. Upper management is self serving and its only a matter of time before the CEO Gary Friedman gets sued again by a female employee for sexual harrassement.

Advice to Management

A good manager surrounds them self with talented people, If they are really smart they surround themselves with people smarter than themselves. A good manager listens to their people and really takes the negative to heart in an attempt to improve the situation for all. I read the weekly and daily reports that the leaders had to submit. They are full of all positive comments but no real substance. They remind me of the news reports I use to have to listen to when I lived in China. The communist party always put a positive spin on everything. "30,000 coal miners died last year in China, But the Communist party is happy to report that its a vast improvement over the previous year!" Always a positive spin, but you miss the point. Denial will only get you so far.... I watched 3 store leaders get pushed out or quit primarily through no fault of their own. They followed orders but yet the problems kept showing up at the top. Who else could middle management blame for the failures and mistakes, surely not them since the orders came from the tippy top and nothing could possibly be wrong with them.

Restoration Hardware2016-05-05
  4. "Ok Place to work."

Former Intern - Lead Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Restoration Hardware for less than a year

Pros

They have a good employee discount although, even with the discount, most items are still out of reach. Had a lot of fun with customers. I was really well trained as a sales lead. I learned all aspects of running a retail store including sales, customer service, accounting, hiring, visual merchandising, and stock and inventory management.

Cons

Standing all day! 3AM Floor moves to keep the store "looking fresh". Psycho Store Managers. Not all were bad, but the ones that were...hell.

Restoration Hardware2014-03-02

"If you enjoy a low paying job, no growth potential and working for lazy managers, then this is the place for you!"

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Greenwich, CT

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for less than a year

Pros

My co-workers are absolutely wonderful.

Cons

The pay is very low. You will be scheduled outside of your availability. You will be denied day off requests, (you will have to fight to take off for a doctor's appointment). There is zero room for advancement. You will end your day cleaning, you will start your day cleaning and you will be expected to clean in between helping customers. Yes, this includes cleaning the bathroom. Your sales goals will be exorbitant. My first month on the selling floor I was given a goal just shy of a quarter of a million dollars. No, I do not have prior sales experience that would warrant that. You will be paid a low salary and will not make a penny of commission. Management is super disorganized, inefficient and generally clueless about how to lead a team to success. Overall it is a frustrating experience because it has the potential to be so much more.

Advice to Management

Share the wealth! The company is on track to make $1.5 billion in sales this year and we don't have a cleaning person. That is simply cruel. You need to evaluate how your sales team is structured and compensated. It is unfair to pay people so little and expect so much. I I have worked there under a year and have been interviewing for a new position elsewhere since my second month on the job. The core values are a crock of bull crap. If you only practiced what you preach to lure people in, this would be a lovely place to work. Your leaders are ineffective, inefficient and inexperienced. Hire people with sales, furniture and design experience and in general get with the program, the company cannot be successful without great people working there to keep it strong.

Restoration Hardware2014-01-03
  6. "Lead Sales"

Current Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff is friendly and has a good cutomer service skills

Cons

Head office does not allocated enough budget to have enough staff during busy times such as weekends

Restoration Hardware2014-08-27

"Excellent Products, Unempowered Employees"

Lead Sales Associate

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Restoration Hardware has a flexible and fun staff that is truly interested in providing excellent customer service. They have high quality merchandising, but are facing an identity crisis as they decide whether they want to be a quality, yet affordable, home brand, or a smaller yet premium, home boutique. Resto also rides the line between being a personal client based decor company, and a mass home retailer.

Cons

Unfortunately, Restoration Hardware has a very strict hierarchical structure that does not empower employees, or lower level managers to innovate or make the customer experience as good as it should be. For a company that prides itself on excellent service it can be a bureaucratic mess to fix a customer issue, even those caused be corporate negligence.

Advice to Management

Tie stronger incentives into the pay structure at all levels, then cut the strings and let employees do whatever it takes to make customers extraordinarily happy.

Restoration Hardware2008-09-16