Restoration Hardware Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Gary Friedman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No consistency in scheduling, terrible work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• The "Core Values" is used to manipulate the situation in favor of management (in 40 reviews)

1. "Love us, or leave us!"

Former Employee - Assistant Gallery Leader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Assistant Gallery Leader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People Service Quality Innovation. These are our Values, and if you truly embrace them, you WILL be successful here. Field Leaders are some of the most outstanding professionals I have ever encountered in my career. There is much opportunity for growth within the organization.

Cons

This is not a con in my opinion, but maybe a word of caution: Corporate decisions are made on a whim and enacted immediately. If you need 100% of the information before you take action, this could be a challenging company for you. Be ready to grab it and run with it.

Advice to Management

Thank you for allowing us to LEAD versus MANAGE. We can do so much for our clients (internal and external) simply because we know we are empowered to do so.

2. "Managment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great products and lot's of effort to ensure quality is what is delivered to the customer.

Cons

Political scheming, mangment does not embrace change and since IT is heavily contractors, the management does not want to change that since it secures their upper level management position.

Contractors do not care about RH as much as a FTE would. They are just mercenaries.

Advice to Management

Advice to executive management, want to make the changes that you talk about? Then time to clean house and unfortunately force the change. The biggest offenders on blocking change is unfortunately the ones who have been around for years.

If you want missionaries then hire RH people and not heavy on contractors.

"Political Nonsense in Catalog Web Department"

Former Employee - Web Producer in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Web Producer in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, discounts on products, HQ is located in beautiful Corte Madera

Cons

Most of the employees in the catalog web department are not qualified to do their job, they somehow stay afloat by blaming others and working until 3am to fix what they messed up, CEO sends crazed emails at 3am to the entire company saying he is going to fire everyone..

Advice to Management

Seek professional training so that you lead your team properly, don't treat the team like a sorority, be professional.

"Merchandise Planner"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand on your resume. In general teams are pretty great to work with. Great ideas and designs.

Cons

Bottleneck of approval process. Every process from the font on email marketing to height of a table has to be approved by 2 of the co-presidents causing major delays in approval process and getting tasks done in a timely manner.

Too top heavy. Currently there are 6 Co-Presidents. Too much money is being spent on Co-Presidents salary and their "Designer Friends" who are hired rather than putting money into technology and updating systems to run more efficiently.

There is no marketing department which puts a lot of pressure on the web team (who is operating on outdated systems and outdated nonintuitive website) and merchant team.

It takes 3 days of meetings for an email campaign to go out for a Sale email. The Chief of Digital works remotely and has limited influence on the web team, only to have every initiative and email message needing approval by a Co-President.

No Matching 401k
    Poor Benefits
    Little to no bonuses or merit increases

Advice to Management

The company has core values of the right people and people first, however this company rarely puts its people first.

Every email and every detail does not need Co-President approval. This is causing a bottleneck and delay across every department.

"Ugg"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free snacks at 3pm, full of salt.

Cons

Everything else, which strangely is ALSO FILLED WITH SALT.

Our tears are delicious.

Advice to Management

Stahp.

6. "Outlet Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work part-time while full time in college working on my bachelors in interior design.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything bad to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

7. "manager"

Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

company seems to want to constantly work with you to improve sales and customer experience

Cons

turnover of employees could be less

Advice to Management

pay salespeople more to get more qualified and experienced personnel

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty workplace. Nice co-workers hired (many who have left, some remain.) Some awesome products.

Cons

Lack of managerial skills in gallery 'leadership.' High turnover. 15+ employees left since new gallery opening. Management tried to claim issues are petty. If you are a designer, be warned. You will be working retail, unlike what they claim-- that's it's a designer center. Yes, you will get to design, but you also will likely have to fluff sofas, for an hour to 1.5 each night and prep the gallery for opening. Your performance is measured by sales. It likely will not the work experience described and that you hoped for. Some products are very overpriced for the quality.

Agree with other reviewer, they are very judgmental (to both clients and employees).

Advice to Management

Values are preached, but not well practiced. People do not feel valued. Simple, valid feedback is not listened, to, but turned into an issue. Yet feedback and open communication is preached. Rather than addressing issues, they try to change your perception of the issue itself.

Lose the, Love us, or leave us attitude applied to employees and customers.

"Gallery Designer"

Former Employee - Gallery Designer in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Gallery Designer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Beautiful Galleries
    -I personally enjoyed my team at my gallery. Everyone got along and enjoyed one another.
    -Customer service is wonderful
    -Work/Life balance is good
    -Some products are of great quality and others... not so much.

Cons

-Pretentious
    -Judgemental Company
    -CEO is vile
    -Upper management is fake. Very cult-like.
    -Invoices were not detailed which lead to confused customers.
    -Quality of product was subpar.
    -Delivery agents often damaged product or clients home. $200 for white glove delivery which is hardly white glove...
    -Company is not willing to listen to new ideas.

Advice to Management

The company is building more and more massive galleries even though sales, stocks and especially values were on the decline. The CEO considers himself almost as a God over his company and his employees. I often felt as if I was a member of a cult when I was forced to watch his video messages. The company needs to completely rethink their values and morals.

"Designers Beware"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team was amazing. Talented, professional, very much like a family. The gallery was a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Hours, Salary. Clients were the worst so entitled. Due to the locations, White trash tourist would come into the gallery and trash the place.

Beware this is a retail store! They call it a gallery looking for designers and it looks like a gallery reality is designers at RH are glorified sales associates. Every designer that comes along is lied to in the interview process to make it seem it something else. They are using you! Bottom line IT'S RETAIL SALES, and if you don't sell the management team will find something to write you up for and make your life miserable. They want you to quit! Usually for payroll purposes.

When the gallery is not making the numbers, they cut full timers down to 30 hours, and part timers to 10. It can be very inconsistent.

Delivery is a nightmare for clients and for associates. Operation customer delight was put into action, due to massive customer complaints. They were giving furniture to clients.

Advice to Management

Field leaders have the same god complex that the CEO has! You should remember were you all came from.