Restoration Hardware Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Friedman

Pros
Cons
  • No consistency in scheduling, terrible work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Rh Ceo, this company preaches core values which is just manipulation tools for idoits which west jeff has many (in 40 reviews)

"Designers Beware"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Winter Park, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Winter Park, FL

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The team was amazing. Talented, professional, very much like a family. The gallery was a beautiful place to work.

Cons

Hours, Salary. Clients were the worst so entitled. Due to the locations, White trash tourist would come into the gallery and trash the place.

Beware this is a retail store! They call it a gallery looking for designers and it looks like a gallery reality is designers at RH are glorified sales associates. Every designer that comes along is lied to in the interview process to make it seem it something else. They are using you! Bottom line IT'S RETAIL SALES, and if you don't sell the management team will find something to write you up for and make your life miserable. They want you to quit! Usually for payroll purposes.

When the gallery is not making the numbers, they cut full timers down to 30 hours, and part timers to 10. It can be very inconsistent.

Delivery is a nightmare for clients and for associates. Operation customer delight was put into action, due to massive customer complaints. They were giving furniture to clients.

Advice to Management

Field leaders have the same god complex that the CEO has! You should remember were you all came from.

"Horrible Management Team (Leaders)"

Former Employee - Gallery Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Gallery Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great space, beautiful merchandise,customers are wealthy

Cons

MANAGEMENT IS INCOMPTENT! They treat employees like slaves.

Advice to Management

Hire all new people

"Not worth the trouble"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great deals at employee sample sales
    - Beautiful Campus

Cons

Almost too many to many to list, but just know that other reviews on here are spot on.

1.) EXTREMELY toxic work environment. This became apparent shortly after starting with the Contract team, when a department all-hands meeting turned into two hours of every single one of my co-workers in crying. Only a few weeks after starting, a coworker advised that I start files on everyone I worked with and save screenshots of any errors they made. You know, for when I needed to throw someone under the bus, or to have something to throw back if someone tried to throw me under the bus. There were so many red flags right away, but with talks of improvements I chose to give it a chance. My biggest regret is not leaving right away, and over a year after leaving it doesn't sound like many positive changes have been made. I never thought I would regularly see people cry/have breakdowns AT work. I could go on and on about how toxic this place is (as so many others have) but the bottom line is this job is absolutely not worth any of the trouble.

2.) Zero work life balance. Goes along with the first con, but working here means being tied to your email and phone at all hours of the day, and trust me if you try to have balance or have some time to yourself you'll be reprimanded for it.

3.) Terrible Benefits/No commuter benefits. Most employees have to commute over the bridge every day, but RH doesn't offer any sort of employee shuttle or commuter benefits to help cover the cost of the Golden Gate Bridge. Other retail companies in the city will provide a shuttle service, pay for Bart/Muni/Caltrain expense, or cost of Uber/Lyft. With salaries that are already on the low end of the SF pay scale, the only thing worse than going to a place you hate everyday is paying out of pocket to get there. RH doesn't match 401K contributions either, while other retail companies I've received offers from have all matched.

4.) CEO. With someone so unstable in charge, how can anything really improve?

"Pathetic"

Former Employee - Gallery Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Gallery Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of. Some of the people that work there are gentle souls that I hope will get a better job soon.

Cons

The company is simply pathetic: 2 "values meetings" are ran every day to discuss people's "real heroes" (in most cases someone that will get you a swatch to show a client...), nothing like a weekend, the ridiculous way of them calling themselves "the biggest design company in the world".

They do not realise how unhappy their employees are and wasting a huge amount of money in a 2 weeks training that feels like that brainwashing scene from clockwork orange. Everyone in there is looking for an other job, every single one.

The interviews (5) were completely stupid getting to the point of having to read out loud the "company's values" (the 4 most banal words ever) and talk about them. Ridiculous. What they are looking for are silent servants that will be too tired from a job that never gives them 2 days in a row to rest to look for another job.

This company is destined to fail, surely as a design company. They should just get over the fact that all they do is selling (badly made and overpriced) furniture.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' advices and feedbacks. Understand that making someone that works for you miserable, will only make that person work worse.

Stop calling yourselves a design company as clearly you have no idea what you're talking about

"Email Advocate"

Former Employee - Email Advocate in West Jefferson, OH
    Former Employee - Email Advocate in West Jefferson, OH

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance was decent. Some of the team leaders were excellent, but those never stayed too long.

Cons

- ABSOLUTELY NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE - if you were unwilling to sacrifice every hour to the business (such as the unrealistic ideas of overtime during promotions..of which there was always one a month) then you were treated like trash. I watched a poor woman with a 3 year old that had been admitted to the hospital with a bad staph infection being told she would be fired if she left to be with her child because she was still in her "trial" period. That should have been the very first red flag to the rest of us that our time was considered worthless to the management.

-Constant judging of work performance. - weekly reviews were done of emails/phone calls. every little detail missed was a 'talking point'. In email especially grammar corrections were always inconsistent. You never knew if one week you'd be graded for one thing and the next week you would not.

Templates were outdated - in email numbers mattered and without templates it was impossible to meet numbers, However, any attempts to have the templates updated to reflect current grading policies took MONTHS of "discussions" and nothing ever really changed.

Management has a bully attitude. Was guilt-tripped many times about only doing bare minimum of overtime (30 extra hours on top of 40). God-forbid you question any decision made by management, as they would separate you and tag-team try to bully you into seeing their way on an issue, even if it wasn't right by the customer.

Unrealistic timeframes given to customers on a regular basis. "Custom" items were NEVER on time. Sometimes 6 to 7 months past the due dates...and yes a few that went over the year mark. You, as a "customer service representative" were told to continually tell the customer it was due to 'material delays' when really it was the vendors not being able to keep up with demand and no help given to them to keep up. As a result many items would be late and then show up with defects or damaged by the transport companies and then the customer would have to do the process again.

No 401k match. I work part time for a company now that gives part time employees MATCHING 401k options. Get with the times! Act like you value the sacrifices you require from your employees

Advice to Management

Stop listening to Gary's every changing whim. Each time he does you throw your employees, vendors, and suppliers into chaos. Which creates long delays. Treat your employees better! You expected us all to grin and bare the constantly changing atmosphere, grading policies, and issues with the product like they were normal. Now working for a company that LIVES by the values you preached, I can see the difference. If you just tried to live the values of respect, people, etc. that you claim are at your core, maybe turnover rate and burnout would not be so prevalent in your ranks.

"Sales Associaten"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware (Less than a year)

Pros

No Pros to the job

Cons

Horrible sales leaders who drink alcohol on the clock with employees while their Genreal Manager is away. They send you put to deliveries and never compasate your milage (waste of my time and money). For a high end store their pricing system is not up to date which is why a leaders change pricinf for favoriate assciates when it comes to buying. Favoratism is clearly showed no respect to the hard working employees who bust their butt off working but are not recognized because 1 they arent friends with the managemnt or 2 arent hooking up with them.

Advice to Management

Advice to the general manager pay attention to your leaders their not fit for management. Great store that offers amazing products but the leaders and some associates just bring down the store. I'd never work for this company again not even if they paid me great money.

"Gallery"

Current Employee - Gallery Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Gallery Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pros except you meet great people.

Cons

It's a company destined for failure. The mindset is ridiculous and the mangenment doesn't have a clue about how a business like these needs to be built. They is no reverence given to its employees. When you're forced to lie to patrons it futile to be in business.

Advice to Management

Surrender ! Close up shop. The gray ship has sunk.

"Worst mistake of my life"

Former Employee - No Comment in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - No Comment in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. The people I worked with for most part were good to be around. I made some good connections. The pay is good for what you do.

Cons

Horrible to the people who work there. They cut your hours from full time down to zero without any notice. The company does not value its employees AT All!! Do not work for them if you need a paycheck and steady job.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and stop hiring new employees and then lay off current ones. Stop messing with peoples lives.

"Design Firm Hoax"

Former Employee - Design Assistant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Design Assistant in Austin, TX

Pros

people, opportunity, basically nothing at all

Cons

DO NOT WORK here. bad pay, no care for your schedule requirements, empty job promises, do NOT care about their "people"

Advice to Management

You are a retail store pretending to be a design firm and you don't care about anyone that works there.

"Very constricting. Always felt being watched and judged."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

Pros

Their showrooms and catalogs are beautiful. They display and merchandise very well.

Cons

Too constricting-always being watched and judged-must fit into a mold-no free thinkers allowed

Advice to Management

good luck