Restoration Hardware Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Gary Friedman

Pros
Cons
  • No consistency in scheduling, terrible work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Rh Ceo, this company preaches core values which is just manipulation tools for idoits which west jeff has many (in 40 reviews)

"Political Nonsense in Catalog Web Department"

Former Employee - Web Producer in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Web Producer in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, discounts on products, HQ is located in beautiful Corte Madera

Cons

Most of the employees in the catalog web department are not qualified to do their job, they somehow stay afloat by blaming others and working until 3am to fix what they messed up, CEO sends crazed emails at 3am to the entire company saying he is going to fire everyone..

Advice to Management

Seek professional training so that you lead your team properly, don't treat the team like a sorority, be professional.

"Merchandise Planner"

Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in Corte Madera, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Planner in Corte Madera, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand on your resume. In general teams are pretty great to work with. Great ideas and designs.

Cons

Bottleneck of approval process. Every process from the font on email marketing to height of a table has to be approved by 2 of the co-presidents causing major delays in approval process and getting tasks done in a timely manner.

Too top heavy. Currently there are 6 Co-Presidents. Too much money is being spent on Co-Presidents salary and their "Designer Friends" who are hired rather than putting money into technology and updating systems to run more efficiently.

There is no marketing department which puts a lot of pressure on the web team (who is operating on outdated systems and outdated nonintuitive website) and merchant team.

It takes 3 days of meetings for an email campaign to go out for a Sale email. The Chief of Digital works remotely and has limited influence on the web team, only to have every initiative and email message needing approval by a Co-President.

No Matching 401k
    Poor Benefits
    Little to no bonuses or merit increases

Advice to Management

The company has core values of the right people and people first, however this company rarely puts its people first.

Every email and every detail does not need Co-President approval. This is causing a bottleneck and delay across every department.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty workplace. Nice co-workers hired (many who have left, some remain.) Some awesome products.

Cons

Lack of managerial skills in gallery 'leadership.' High turnover. 15+ employees left since new gallery opening. Management tried to claim issues are petty. If you are a designer, be warned. You will be working retail, unlike what they claim-- that's it's a designer center. Yes, you will get to design, but you also will likely have to fluff sofas, for an hour to 1.5 each night and prep the gallery for opening. Your performance is measured by sales. It likely will not the work experience described and that you hoped for. Some products are very overpriced for the quality.

Agree with other reviewer, they are very judgmental (to both clients and employees).

Advice to Management

Values are preached, but not well practiced. People do not feel valued. Simple, valid feedback is not listened, to, but turned into an issue. Yet feedback and open communication is preached. Rather than addressing issues, they try to change your perception of the issue itself.

Lose the, Love us, or leave us attitude applied to employees and customers.

"CUSTOMER CONCIERGE - TYPICAL CALL CENTER JOB"

Former Employee - Customer Concierge in West Jefferson, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Concierge in West Jefferson, OH

I worked at Restoration Hardware (More than a year)

Pros

Nice co-workers, beautiful office, decent benefits

Cons

You have no authority to make decisions, micro-managed, product leads times frequently missed resulting in angry customers - quality often a problem.

Advice to Management

How much time to you have? Think new processes through carefully before implementing them, then changing your mind. Stop bringing in new employees when you're already having employees take voluntary time off.

"Unstable Leader Creates Chaos"

Former Contractor - Editor in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Contractor - Editor in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I worked as a contract editor. The people working in the Copy department were gracious, kind, skilled, and knowledgable. Unfortunately, their strengths didn't make up for the company's overall instability and its CEO's unpredictability.

Cons

Projects and directives change at a whiplash-inducing pace, seemingly based on the CEO's whims. Employees seem to have a general disdain for the company and the product, despite working there. There's no logic to the decision making or concern for employees' efforts.

Advice to Management

I don't even know what to tell them. The whole company seems built around a cult of personality for the CEO.

"If you want to end your HR career - come here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People are impressed that you work here and it looks good on a resume.

Cons

You will learn nothing here if you're in HR, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Advice to Management

Just get over yourselves.

7. "Management Issues"

Former Contractor - Stock in West Jefferson, OH
    Former Contractor - Stock in West Jefferson, OH

I worked at Restoration Hardware as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Clean environment and easy work

Cons

I had been an temporary employee for 9 months. I came to work with a good attitude and hitting my numbers every week. They want you to make a 95 or above in production. After a few months of working I developed friendships with other RH employees that I probably wouldn't have. My steady work ethic and dependable team work helped me adapt. My only issue was attendance. Which the Management knew I have a sick wife. As time went on I was left in the dark about hiring and training classes. I had to ask myself when and how things would go. I was told by several people after certain amount of hours I was eligible. Then I was told months; it was something else. Never the truth. I went with the flow as ti e went on and no one ever approach me about becoming a full time employee. As of February other co workers that had been there less hours and months that I have and ALSO had attendance issues was giving the opportunity to become full time employees. I then questioned where my status stood. I was again giving misinformation. I became sick and went to Hospital early March one Morning after I went to work and giving permission to go. With a excuse to return I was let go. I personally feel that they were never going to hire me any way.

Advice to Management

I think Management should find out personally what going on with people before they ditch them. Learn your employees especially the ones who dedicate themselves.

"looks good on a resume"

Former Employee - Creative in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Creative in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

beautiful offices in the design center. great collaborative work space, as long as you are into that. great people.

Cons

last minute revisions by executive team could be easily avoided by better planning. too many 'fire drill' projects when money is tight. cult like attitudes. no 401k matching.

Advice to Management

get rid of the approval funnels caused by exec team

"It is not what it seems to be"

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health benefits are pretty good. Beautiful building.

Cons

The company proclamates itself as innovative and open minded but they don't really listen to their employees. There is no possibility of growth, they hire new people instead of promoting within the company.

"Overall good job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LuxuryBrand with HIgh quality products, Lots of room for advancement

Cons

The company is very reactional with situations .... They on fix things when chaos erupts. Low Pay, High stress