Restoration Hardware Reviews | Glassdoor

Restoration Hardware Reviews

Updated April 19, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • No consistency in scheduling, terrible work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• Rh Ceo, this company preaches core values which is just manipulation tools for idoits which west jeff has many (in 40 reviews)

"Pathetic"

Former Employee - Gallery Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Gallery Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of. Some of the people that work there are gentle souls that I hope will get a better job soon.

Cons

The company is simply pathetic: 2 "values meetings" are ran every day to discuss people's "real heroes" (in most cases someone that will get you a swatch to show a client...), nothing like a weekend, the ridiculous way of them calling themselves "the biggest design company in the world".

They do not realise how unhappy their employees are and wasting a huge amount of money in a 2 weeks training that feels like that brainwashing scene from clockwork orange. Everyone in there is looking for an other job, every single one.

The interviews (5) were completely stupid getting to the point of having to read out loud the "company's values" (the 4 most banal words ever) and talk about them. Ridiculous. What they are looking for are silent servants that will be too tired from a job that never gives them 2 days in a row to rest to look for another job.

This company is destined to fail, surely as a design company. They should just get over the fact that all they do is selling (badly made and overpriced) furniture.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees' advices and feedbacks. Understand that making someone that works for you miserable, will only make that person work worse.

Stop calling yourselves a design company as clearly you have no idea what you're talking about

"Overall good job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tracy, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tracy, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

LuxuryBrand with HIgh quality products, Lots of room for advancement

Cons

The company is very reactional with situations .... They on fix things when chaos erupts. Low Pay, High stress

"Email Advocate"

Former Employee - Email Advocate in West Jefferson, OH
    Former Employee - Email Advocate in West Jefferson, OH

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Health Insurance was decent. Some of the team leaders were excellent, but those never stayed too long.

Cons

- ABSOLUTELY NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE - if you were unwilling to sacrifice every hour to the business (such as the unrealistic ideas of overtime during promotions..of which there was always one a month) then you were treated like trash. I watched a poor woman with a 3 year old that had been admitted to the hospital with a bad staph infection being told she would be fired if she left to be with her child because she was still in her "trial" period. That should have been the very first red flag to the rest of us that our time was considered worthless to the management.

-Constant judging of work performance. - weekly reviews were done of emails/phone calls. every little detail missed was a 'talking point'. In email especially grammar corrections were always inconsistent. You never knew if one week you'd be graded for one thing and the next week you would not.

Templates were outdated - in email numbers mattered and without templates it was impossible to meet numbers, However, any attempts to have the templates updated to reflect current grading policies took MONTHS of "discussions" and nothing ever really changed.

Management has a bully attitude. Was guilt-tripped many times about only doing bare minimum of overtime (30 extra hours on top of 40). God-forbid you question any decision made by management, as they would separate you and tag-team try to bully you into seeing their way on an issue, even if it wasn't right by the customer.

Unrealistic timeframes given to customers on a regular basis. "Custom" items were NEVER on time. Sometimes 6 to 7 months past the due dates...and yes a few that went over the year mark. You, as a "customer service representative" were told to continually tell the customer it was due to 'material delays' when really it was the vendors not being able to keep up with demand and no help given to them to keep up. As a result many items would be late and then show up with defects or damaged by the transport companies and then the customer would have to do the process again.

No 401k match. I work part time for a company now that gives part time employees MATCHING 401k options. Get with the times! Act like you value the sacrifices you require from your employees

Advice to Management

Stop listening to Gary's every changing whim. Each time he does you throw your employees, vendors, and suppliers into chaos. Which creates long delays. Treat your employees better! You expected us all to grin and bare the constantly changing atmosphere, grading policies, and issues with the product like they were normal. Now working for a company that LIVES by the values you preached, I can see the difference. If you just tried to live the values of respect, people, etc. that you claim are at your core, maybe turnover rate and burnout would not be so prevalent in your ranks.

"Sales Associaten"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware (Less than a year)

Pros

No Pros to the job

Cons

Horrible sales leaders who drink alcohol on the clock with employees while their Genreal Manager is away. They send you put to deliveries and never compasate your milage (waste of my time and money). For a high end store their pricing system is not up to date which is why a leaders change pricinf for favoriate assciates when it comes to buying. Favoratism is clearly showed no respect to the hard working employees who bust their butt off working but are not recognized because 1 they arent friends with the managemnt or 2 arent hooking up with them.

Advice to Management

Advice to the general manager pay attention to your leaders their not fit for management. Great store that offers amazing products but the leaders and some associates just bring down the store. I'd never work for this company again not even if they paid me great money.

6. "HDL"

Current Employee - HDL in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - HDL in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware (Less than a year)

Pros

I like the Values in my store

Cons

I operate the Trash Compacter Machine, The Foam machine, The cardboeard machine, the Plastic compacter machine and more . .

Advice to Management

I had 30 years of expirience in receivieng department

"Gallery"

Current Employee - Gallery Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Gallery Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I honestly can't think of any pros except you meet great people.

Cons

It's a company destined for failure. The mindset is ridiculous and the mangenment doesn't have a clue about how a business like these needs to be built. They is no reverence given to its employees. When you're forced to lie to patrons it futile to be in business.

Advice to Management

Surrender ! Close up shop. The gray ship has sunk.

"Worst mistake of my life"

Former Employee - No Comment in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - No Comment in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. The people I worked with for most part were good to be around. I made some good connections. The pay is good for what you do.

Cons

Horrible to the people who work there. They cut your hours from full time down to zero without any notice. The company does not value its employees AT All!! Do not work for them if you need a paycheck and steady job.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect and stop hiring new employees and then lay off current ones. Stop messing with peoples lives.

"design consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training, core values instilled throughout the company, customers are taken care of,,pay is decent, coworkers are like family

Cons

Values were not recipricated during a major internal ecoomic crisis by CEO, CFO and upper management. Employees were left in the cold without hours or future plan. Very sad considering the exorbitant amount of values meetings that take up hours of work time each week.

Advice to Management

Live the values at all times, do not set your employees (team) up for failure and then just dissappear when hard times hit. You let me down RH.

"could be so much better"

Former Employee - Creative Services in Corte Madera, CA
    Former Employee - Creative Services in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really beautiful campus and could be a decent place to work except there is at least one manager ruining it for the freelancers.

Cons

Some managers truly need to be replaced, but everyone is afraid to tell Gary for fear of retribution. These same managers will treat employees poorly over the smallest things -- things that the manager either did not explain thoroughly or miscommunicated altogether. No one ever apologizes or takes the blame for their miscommunication. Gotta save face, right?

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on managers in Creative Services, even talk to some of the freelancers (in private) to get them to reveal the sometimes hostile working conditions.

"Gallery Support"

Former Employee - Gallery Support in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Gallery Support in Chicago, IL

I worked at Restoration Hardware (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff and management worked together as a team. There were no jobs that were beneath the team leaders so they would just jump in and help where needed.

Cons

Retail hours and the position was only temporary.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!