Restoration Hardware Sales Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Gary Friedman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No consistency in scheduling, terrible work/life balance (in 39 reviews)

• The "Core Values" is used to manipulate the situation in favor of management (in 40 reviews)

"sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people, fast paced,attractive environment to work in.

Cons

Cliquish, bad managers allowed to stay who drive good employees away. No raises in two years.

"Sales and Design consultant"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers
    Can be fun at times
    nice products
    Core Values

Cons

High turn over rate
    Difficult to advance
    Management favors certain people in obvious ways
    Rules and Roles change often

Advice to Management

Decide if you are a retail store or a design center. If you want designers let them focus on projects instead of having them be on the floor all the time.

3. "Outlet Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Marcos, TX

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work part-time while full time in college working on my bachelors in interior design.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything bad to say.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

"Sales Associaten"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware (Less than a year)

Pros

No Pros to the job

Cons

Horrible sales leaders who drink alcohol on the clock with employees while their Genreal Manager is away. They send you put to deliveries and never compasate your milage (waste of my time and money). For a high end store their pricing system is not up to date which is why a leaders change pricinf for favoriate assciates when it comes to buying. Favoratism is clearly showed no respect to the hard working employees who bust their butt off working but are not recognized because 1 they arent friends with the managemnt or 2 arent hooking up with them.

Advice to Management

Advice to the general manager pay attention to your leaders their not fit for management. Great store that offers amazing products but the leaders and some associates just bring down the store. I'd never work for this company again not even if they paid me great money.

"Started off GREAT!"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Constant workflow, fast pace, had a great management team that cared about standards. I was part of a team that had a great flow and was there to be successful. I learned so much about design and really helped customers build their dreams.

Cons

When management was shuffled around I think corporate made a poor choice on who was going to be the new store leader. Standards dropped, work ethics went out the window. Nepotism ran rampant and favoritism was the new normal.

Advice to Management

This was the first job that I have held were going from a strong leader to an inexperienced manager truly affected team morale and store sales. I understand that sometimes you need to take a leap of faith when making a decision but it shouldn't ever be across a canyon.

"Run don't walk.... AWAY!"

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So many Great people and new stores are beautiful! Gary has an incredible vision! Headed for success in the future!

Cons

Promotions based on "clicks" not talent. Gossip runs rampant and it starts at the top of the Florida region! It felt like high school

Advice to Management

Senior management should be terminated in Florida

7. "Sale's Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Restoration Hardware (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company
    Great Team
    Great way to gain customer service experience

Cons

Long hours
    Hard to balance life & work with retail hours
    Tiring

Advice to Management

Be sure to put your heart in it always!

"RH is Cool!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/StockRoom
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier/StockRoom

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you have an idea, RH will listen

Cons

Growing pains. trying to get away from Retail transactions except Holidays.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work!

"All the potential in the world...none of the follow through"

Current Employee - Sales and Receiving Associate in Chesterfield, MO
    Current Employee - Sales and Receiving Associate in Chesterfield, MO

I have been working at Restoration Hardware (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy with good people of which there are some at Resto! Occasionally being rewarded with a bonus if the store performs well, paid holidays even for part timers, Occasionally being treated to a meal!

Cons

Less than adequate leadership, drama, infighting, no chance of advancement, no benefits, beware of promises made during interviews, no set schedule, no guarantee of hours, needs of the business come first, vacation can be unapproved after it was initially approved, horrible customers, if your a receiver harsh weather conditions 0 degrees in the winter and 100 in the summer.

Advice to Management

TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES BETTER! Ask what you can do to help your employees and actually follow through with any plans. Work together instead of separate entities, pay your employees a living wage recognize quality in your store and work to develop it for the future!

"Talented Designers Need Not Apply"

Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

The Sales staff at the gallery level are probably some of the nicest most amazing people I have ever met. Young for the most part but full of hope and excited to be part of something cool. I still count many of the people I worked with as friends. Attracting great people is one thing retaining them is another. If you are young and want experience but have no intention of staying for long or making RH a career this is the place for you to learn: learn how NOT to manage people. This is not they way to manage your employees.

Cons

Attracting great people is one thing retaining them is another. The "Core Values" is used to manipulate the situation in favor of management. At store level it is used aggressively verging on cult perhaps if they served more cool- aid! Its abundantly clear that the leaders attitude is all people are replaceable. The morning meetings are suppose to be a pep rally. God forbid you should mention anything negative during the pat ourselves on the back hug fest. It's very clear that productive discussions of issues or ways to improve things are not welcome. I spent two years working there as a full time sales associate. I am an educated and experienced Interior Design Professional and came to the store with 20 years of experience in the industry. My sales reflected that experience with sales accounting for 20% of the galleries annual sales. I performed the duties of the Lead Designer but was never rewarded the position. It's abundantly clear that management did not like the fact that I would report problems in writing or would call them out when they were not using the Core Values in the spirit with which they are intended. Leaders were a cheerleader click. I as a mature male did not fit in. I was allowed to perform all the functions of the design leader without the title or benefits. When i was recognized (for selling $125,000 in a week) by upper management I was rewarded with a $5.00 Starbucks gift cards and a bucket of popcorn! That's just insulting. Even though my work load was outrageous trying to keep up with the demand from clients for my design services I was still expected to clean the gallery on Sundays. There is no room for advancement at RH. Those that were promoted to Leaders soon found themselves trapped into this strange world of cheer leader peppy denial. The truth is its a furniture store RH is not saving the world. Upper management is self serving and its only a matter of time before the CEO Gary Friedman gets sued again by a female employee for sexual harrassement.

Advice to Management

A good manager surrounds them self with talented people, If they are really smart they surround themselves with people smarter than themselves. A good manager listens to their people and really takes the negative to heart in an attempt to improve the situation for all. I read the weekly and daily reports that the leaders had to submit. They are full of all positive comments but no real substance. They remind me of the news reports I use to have to listen to when I lived in China. The communist party always put a positive spin on everything. "30,000 coal miners died last year in China, But the Communist party is happy to report that its a vast improvement over the previous year!" Always a positive spin, but you miss the point. Denial will only get you so far.... I watched 3 store leaders get pushed out or quit primarily through no fault of their own. They followed orders but yet the problems kept showing up at the top. Who else could middle management blame for the failures and mistakes, surely not them since the orders came from the tippy top and nothing could possibly be wrong with them.