Restoration Hardware "gallery" Reviews | Glassdoor

Restoration Hardware Employee Reviews about "gallery"

Updated Oct 31, 2019

2.7
Restoration Hardware CEO Gary Friedman (no image)
Gary Friedman
Pros
  • "Great training program and great people to work with(in 46 reviews)

• "Gallery managers are easy to work with for the most part(in 35 reviews)

Reviews about "gallery"

Return to all Reviews

"Gallery Associate"

Gallery Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Growth with new larger galleries coming soon.

Cons

long work weeks and time off freeze

Restoration Hardware2016-01-11

"Decent, but not Ideal"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Lead

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for less than a year

Pros

They had great benefits, 401k, heath, dental, vision, etc. Also, it was pretty easy job, not very demanding. Shared a decent sized office with my manger. Also, my manger was a great laid back guy. I knew that he always had my back, but not everyone one else there was like him!

Cons

The wharehouse was 10000 degrees in the summer. The job was very seasonal and only the top management was given salary as compared to hourly. People were barley hitting 25-30 hours during the summer, but in the winter (almost all of Q4) we were asked to work about 55-65 hours a week 6 days per week. The normal work week was Tuesday-Saturday. When I first started I was promised a raise after 6 months (6 months from... when I started was when every employee received there yearly reviews), however the manger then told me that I wouldn't receive a raise, or even a review for that matter. I heard from others that their raise was only around $0.50 per hour. I was NOT about to stick around for 18 months for an extra $0.50 per hour. There were also minimum opportunities for growth unless you start near the top. The corporate ladder at RH is a steep one. I will say that if you are passionate about beautiful furniture, and you think that you can dedicate your life to just one company then it might be for you. Also, the warehouse that I was in didn't even have a scanning barcode system for incoming furniture. We had to make checklists and record the location of each piece manually. Then we would save the info on excel....as you can imagine, a majority of the day was spent looking for lost pieces. The fact the executive team did not see this investment in its own warehouse a necessity, while they were out spending MILLIONS on massive prime real estate galleries really didn't sit well with me. We could have been 10x more efficient. I worked there in 2017, so I can only hope that the guys there now have it better than me.

Restoration Hardware2019-10-31
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

"Practice what you preach!"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Seattle, WA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company values, values meetings, gallery-level leadership team, encouragement of feedback from the leadership team, autonomy in the role, physical environment (the gallery is beautiful), client installs, schedule, company aesthetic, diverse group of coworkers

Cons

Toxic culture of gossip and nepotism, promotion of field leaders to oversee NGG (next-generation galleries) when they have never worked in one - leads to lack of understanding and unrealistic expectations, broken systems (SIGNAGE, corporate communication methods, allocation process, mapping systems), receiving less than a 3% raise after an "exceptional" review, zero growth opportunities within Curate, lack of... concern from corporate partners in regards to understanding that what works well for a sunny, California gallery with 10,000 square feet (plant types, large floor set updates, huge signage deliveries, etc.) is not as successful in a 65,000-square-foot gallery with heavy rain & moderate sunlight, outdated/irrelevant visual presentation resources, poor product quality

Restoration Hardware2019-08-12

"Good benefits but high instability"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Lead

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

Pay rate. Benefits. Galleries. Discount. People.

Cons

Instability. Management. Culture. Downsizing. Hypocritical.

Restoration Hardware2019-08-13

"Good company, high pressure"

Current Employee - Assistant Gallery Leader

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good company culture. Pays well. Learned a lot.

Cons

Tough being a leader at such a high profile gallery. Crazy hours.

Restoration Hardware2019-07-11

"Great team to work with. This could vary by gallery."

Current Employee - Current Employee

I have been working at Restoration Hardware part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great team to work with.

Cons

Seems to be more interested in Wall Street and the Next Gen Gallaries and not legacy galleries/

Advice to Management

Corporate is not in touch with what happens in the gallery. Policies/procedures issued that are difficult to implement. Corporate needs to get out in the field - and not Corte Madre, NYC, or a next gen gallery.

Restoration Hardware2019-06-23

"Nice balance of good & bad."

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, amazing people with inspiring energy and values/morals, beautiful environments & there is growth potential.

Cons

I don't believe experience/education is taken as seriously as it should be. There is a lack of appreciation when it comes to being educated in interior design and having such a background. Its all about the sales at the end of the day, and if it means working your team to the point they no longer have a life, they can make that happen. If you treat people right and let them do they job they were hired to do? The... money comes in naturally with happy employees. They have wonderful values, but contradict them constantly. They say RH wants people with point of views, and to challenge the overall perspective, but shut down anything that isn't to their already composed views. One day they are for something and have a plan in action for improvement, the next day they are back a step. One day they have a larger vision in plan, the next day its forgotten. Not one single leader is on the same page, especially the field leaders. CEO has a great vision.. just not the right team of leadership to make it happen. Interview process is not completely honest. Be prepared to work retail hours, in which ever position you land on, and be expected to be a sales person, a curator, a house keeper for the gallery, on top of being an interior designer (if you find the time to do so).

Advice to Management

Live and breathe the values that is asked for employees to do as well. Lead by example. Be bold, and daring, don't be so scared to stand up for your team, when what your team is standing for usually is about "what is right, rather than who is right." Listen. Innovate. Provide true Quality IN EVERYTHING & EVERYONE.

Restoration Hardware2019-05-01

"TOXIC - RUN AWAY!!"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Lead in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

There were some genuinely professional, good people at the Galleries and in CM. Salary appeared to be a bit higher than industry standard...however now I undersatnd why.

Cons

Toxic CULT environment! Be prepared to work all hours of the day or night, and always on weekends!! Management at corporate was laughable, absolutely ZERO management skills! Intimidateing tactics and beyond BAD leadership. Managers would openly berate employees on conference calls and in the middle of open office space in front of co-workers. Zero training or onboarding, be prepared for self-learning on your own... time. Everyone seems to be under the strange narcissist spell of Gary Friedman. Seriously, I understand the attraction if you are a fan of the RH style (as I was, and Failed to look at Glassdoor prior to taking the job) But if you want to maintain your health and continue to spend time with your family, RUN AWAY from this Toxic company!

Advice to Management

Seek some management skills and learn how to treat people with respect.

Restoration Hardware2019-03-28

"Stock/Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Stock

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time for more than a year

Pros

Met lots of designers and people who work in the design industry Gallery managers are easy to work with for the most part

Cons

Upper management was out of touch with the concerns of the galleries I didn't receive training until months after I was hired and at that point, it was a bit of a moot point

Advice to Management

more communication with the people on the ground floor

Restoration Hardware2019-01-24

"Disappointed with potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good team. Decent pay. Beautiful ambiance to work in. Great brand.

Cons

The Scottsdale gallery has so much potential to be great and maintain amazing employees, but due to poor management i watched dozens of quality people, who clients loved come and go. It felt as though the gallery leader went out of her way to make us unhappy which is very unfortunate. It really took a toll on the energy. It almost felt like a mean girl system where we were picked on, whether it was what we wore, our... hair or our makeup. It was an uncomfortable, judgmental place to work.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees. Make them feel valued. Actually live by the values and not pretend to.

Restoration Hardware2019-01-15