Restoration Hardware "great people" Reviews | Glassdoor

Restoration Hardware Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Aug 16, 2019

2.7
Restoration Hardware CEO Gary Friedman (no image)
Gary Friedman
Pros
  • "Great training program and great people to work with(in 46 reviews)

• "Gallery managers are easy to work with for the most part(in 35 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews

"Customer Service"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Great training program and great people to work with

Cons

I really cannot think of any

Restoration Hardware2018-02-17

"The Values Don't Add Up"

Former Employee - Associate Designer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

They hire great people all the time

Cons

They don't know how to keep great people

Advice to Management

This was taken straight from my exit interview survey: RH has the potential to be a great company for so many people. My experience with RH has been up and down. I truly believe they do hire the "right" people, but they do not foster an environment to keep those people. I honestly do envy the associates that have been with the company for an extended period of time and constantly exude happiness for their... position. As a designer, my role was not properly explained upon being hired. This job was amped up to be a super energizing experience working on clients' homes. I really loved the idea of the fast paced environment. Once design training ended, the reality of the role set in. Constantly focusing on numbers is not at all energizing for anyone on the team. This really solidifies the retail minded environment that RH has constantly said it is moving away from. It is evident in the weekly goals, many disappointed talks from gallery leaders and field leaders, and retail hours that this is not yet a design environment. There were many projects I enjoyed working on, but the entire process was full of so much red tape that the entire creative aspect of the project was ripped out from the beginning. I believe in collaboration, but this was never encouraged between two designers, and, in some instances, looked down upon as this pulled away from driving business on the floor. I do understand that RH is a for profit company, but I am a firm believer that design grows projects and I was not given the opportunity to grow those projects in a healthy, creative environment. RH really needs to listen to their design team in innovating the way it looks at projects. Home visits are a must. Installs are vital to any client experience no matter the dollar amount. To grow a design business, one cannot work entirely remotely away the client's home. Reviews need to be by other designers. As a leadership team, Nashville specifically needs continuity amongst its members. On many occasions, leaders have spoken out negatively about other team members, other leaders, and other higher up leaders. It seems that the entire gallery acts differently when we have visits from home office and higher up leadership personnel. RH strives for quality in everything it does, but it only seems to reach for quality when the gallery is under close watch. This lowers morale amongst the team and causes confusion on how to perform on a day to day basis. On many occasions, leaders have been found whispering around corners, diverting responsibilities to associates due to being "busy", not giving full attention during a touch base, not being found when they are scheduled to be a floor leader, questioning associates calling out sick due to worrying about meeting a sales goal that day, and being buried in their computer on the sales floor so much that guests are left wondering who they can speak to. The leadership team should and does set the tone for the entire gallery. I have loved our combined gallery meetings with hospitality, and I hope that keeps growing. The hospitality team is a such a positive addition to the gallery, and I believe this location would have suffered moving into a larger building without it. Overall, I did learn many practices that I will keep with me for years to come, and I have made many friendships that I will cherish for a long time. RH has such a beautiful work environment, and I hope that this environment will one day foster a beautiful and thriving workplace.

Restoration Hardware2019-08-17

"Good pay awful culture"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay is higher than similar jobs elsewhere. It has to be to keep people. RH is a tough place to work and there are many great people there. I worked under two VPs and three Chief Officers during my tenure. They were great but that is the exception, not the norm.

Cons

Gary is a youth obsessed narcissist who leads based on his implusive instincts and pitting people against each other. He sends emails to his executives in the middle of the night on a weekend and publically berates anyone who does not respond right away. He is always on the outs with one of his executives but his target rotates creating an environment where there are secret alliances and sabatoge. Gary is regularly... HOURS late for meetings. The group sits in a room waiting for him. Before my first Gary meeting I was told to drink something, eat something and go to the bathroom because I might not get a chance to do any of those for the next 4 or 5 hours. He has held hundreds of people hostage for hours on conference calls where he goes off on tangents that have NOTHING to do with RH. On one such call, he called customer service of some pricey watch company to complain and then humilate the customer service rep about a watch he bought for his girlfriend. There were over 200 RH staff listening to this call. It was atrocious behavior but not uncommon. At offsites employees are encouraged to get on stage with Gary and the Chief Store Officer and give a speech on why they love RH. Many of these speeches are teary stories about family members with serious illness, or growing up in foster care, even childhood abuse. When other reviews mention RH being cult-like, this is what they mean. Gary and Demonty LOVE this. The more tears from both men and women, the better. Gary's insecurities run so deep he needs to believe everyone worships him. He constantly boasts that he does not read books. He compares himself to Steve Jobs and Martin Luther King Jr.

Advice to Management

Lose your arrogance. You sell cheaply made furniture from Asia based on designs you've snatched from other brands and artists.

Restoration Hardware2019-02-16

"WORST PLACE"

Former Employee - Anon in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I guess the health insurance but even that was sub-par. RH used to have great people working there when I joined but everyone with common sense comes to learn how toxic the environment is there.

Cons

Everything from the management down to pay. As people mentioned, if you aren't available 24/7, you won't get ahead or even noticed. You will get thrown under the bus by any VP/C-level exec. It all trickles down from Gary so until he's gone, that place is going to always be a toxic place to work.

Advice to Management

Good luck. You have lost out on great talent and hire/promote the idiots.

Restoration Hardware2019-04-14

"A Challenging 4 Years"

Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Corte Madera, CA

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay was really good and there were some great people there. I was given a chance to learn a lot and at times the fast paced nature of the company was exciting.

Cons

From the very beginning I was expected to be available 24/7, the higher Leadership of the company are treated like nobility, and I was experience two major layoffs when I was there. It was a toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

Slow down to go fast and treat your employees with more dignity. Understand that a chance at career growth and a having a life outside of work are not conflicting things.

Restoration Hardware2019-03-09
  6. "Great people, Nice Company Values"

Former Employee - Logistics Specialist

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

Great people, Nice Company Values

Cons

Difficulty receiving a raise

Restoration Hardware2019-01-17
  7. "Leader"

I worked at Restoration Hardware part-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

The schedule was so inconsistent

Restoration Hardware2018-10-11

"Design Consultant"

Former Employee - Interior Design Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Restoration Hardware full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people to work with, the environment and design philosophy is great. Learned so much!

Cons

It is basically design in a box. Creativity within the ethos and strict design concepts can be restrictive. The leaderships attitude towards life outside the walls of RH is limited

Advice to Management

If you would like to keep your good people you need to be a little more flexible.

Restoration Hardware2018-09-26

"Assistant Store Manager"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware full-time

Pros

Great clientele who are passionate about the other roduct... An educated consumer. Great people and teamwork company wide

Cons

Outlet division got lost. Poor training for new leadership. If not a self starter like myself, a new manager would fail for sure

Advice to Management

Spend more time with new leaders and be sure to inforce the culture

Restoration Hardware2018-09-24

"Not a bad place to work but the pay is sub standard at best and the hours fluctuate due to workload"

I have been working at Restoration Hardware

Pros

Great people who will help you whatever the need

Cons

Not enough pay/ hours/ hard to make 40

Advice to Management

Hire compitent employees who show potential and pay them enough to keep them thier. It will pay for itself in production numbers

Restoration Hardware2018-07-31